Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi just wondering where the fuel filter is located and if anyone can tell me the procedure. In earlier cars it was located on the fuelline before the carbuerator. The last time that I inquired about changing one (on a Chevy 3500 cargo van) I found that it was under the vehicle, under pressure. Just wondering if it's the same deal with this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Strafer. The fuel filter is on the driver's side of the vehicle, below the master cylinder. Honda doesn't seem to recommend filter replacement on a regular basis. The workshop manual says,
"The fuel filter should be replaced whenever the fuel pressure drops below the specified value [(38-48 psi) with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched] after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK."

The procedure from the workshop manual sounds really simple:
1. Place a towel under and around the fuel filter.
2. Relieve fuel pressure. (Release pressure from the system by loosening the 6 mm service bolt on the side of the fuel rail.)
3. Remove the special bolt and the fuel feed pipe from the fuel filter while supporting it with another wrench.
4. Remove the fuel filter clamp and fuel filter.
5. When assembling, use new washers. (Clean the flared joint of high pressure hoses thoroughly before reconnecting them.)

It sounds simple, but for me this was a really tough job - and I tackled it with the engine out. Even with the engine removed, access was very tight.

This post recommends using a crows foot wrench to help with the procedure. (Unfortunately the pictures from the original post no longer appear): http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/39339-how-change-fuel-filter-our-vans.html

In retrospect this was probably the toughest DIY job I've done on the Odyssey. I usually hate it when a question about how to do something is answered with "take it to a mechanic" but in this case you might find the satisfaction and cost savings of doing it yourself outweighed by the annoyance of dealing with some really inaccessible bolts and fittings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Strafer. The fuel filter is on the driver's side of the vehicle, below the master cylinder. Honda doesn't seem to recommend filter replacement on a regular basis. The workshop manual says,
"The fuel filter should be replaced whenever the fuel pressure drops below the specified value [(38-48 psi) with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched] after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK."

The procedure from the workshop manual sounds really simple:
1. Place a towel under and around the fuel filter.
2. Relieve fuel pressure. (Release pressure from the system by loosening the 6 mm service bolt on the side of the fuel rail.)
3. Remove the special bolt and the fuel feed pipe from the fuel filter while supporting it with another wrench.
4. Remove the fuel filter clamp and fuel filter.
5. When assembling, use new washers. (Clean the flared joint of high pressure hoses thoroughly before reconnecting them.)

It sounds simple, but for me this was a really tough job - and I tackled it with the engine out. Even with the engine removed, access was very tight.

This post recommends using a crows foot wrench to help with the procedure. (Unfortunately the pictures from the original post no longer appear): http://www.odyclub.com/forums/28-1995-1998-odyssey/39339-how-change-fuel-filter-our-vans.html

In retrospect this was probably the toughest DIY job I've done on the Odyssey. I usually hate it when a question about how to do something is answered with "take it to a mechanic" but in this case you might find the satisfaction and cost savings of doing it yourself outweighed by the annoyance of dealing with some really inaccessible bolts and fittings.
Thanks so much. Having the Ody with 115K I figured that it was one of those things that we take for granted until the filter clogs. The car didn't have regular service, my bro only does things when he's forced to. I thought that maybe it would be a fast, easy, and good thing to do for the car but after reading this I'll wait until the next job that needs to be done by my mechanic and mention it to him. So is the filter located on the fire wall? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
with half the engine out,. you can see it,....

(my ody long fixed)
PITA to replace.

·
Registered
947 Posts
with half the engine out,. you can see it,....

(my ody long fixed)
PITA to replace.
Wow, you sure took the hard way to get at your fuel filter! ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
i was replacing the engine, coming out it was easier to take it apart, and yes, it can come out and go back in the top without the intake and exhaust.

:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the dealer replace the fuel filter on my '98. One hour at $104/hour, plus $42 for the part. They had it in the bay for two hours, I don't know if it took the entire labor hour or not.

I cut it open, and with 143k on the odometer I thought it looked pretty good. Some nasty black stuff came out of the outside (dirty) part of the element. But there was no sludge, just dirt suspended in gas. The element was dark, but not clogged. I think the FF is good for 150k if I don't get a bad tank of gas.

Given the tiny space available to get to the FF, and the PITA factor if it happens to leak because it is not on tight enough, I think this is worth the $$$ to get this done at a shop. If you can get it done at an Indie shop for $75 an hour, so much the better.

Whether or not it needs to be replaced is your call. I put decent miles running down the highway, and I did it for the peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts