Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where the fuel filter is located ('02 Ody) and what the recommended change interval is? I didn't see it looking under the hood nor underneath the vehicle. There also is no mention of it in the scheduled service. Maybe someone with a FSM can look this up. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is under the seats - you have to drain the gas, remove the fuel tank, then the sending unit, pump etc all together. They say to replace it when the pressure drops below the specified 41-48 psi range. Most modern cars have the pump inside the gas tank for cooling - so I don't think it is something you want to do yourself. There are warning about relieving the pressure, how the quick disconnects work, etc. Pages 11-187 +.

John

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkues:
ps - this was for a 2001 model, doubt that the 02 is any different though.</font>
'02 is the same, pg 11-222 through 11-223 of "Service Manual."

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All this for a fuel filter?? If you need to change the filter, then you have to change the pump? Is this separate from the pump or is it somehow all integrated? I guess the filter wasn't intended to be changed. Jkues: Of course most cars have the pump in the tank, however, most cars still have a replacable in-line filter usually located under the hood just before being fed to the throttle body. Are you sure you're looking at the same thing? Some older Honda's had two filters. Could this be the case?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe there is another one, but I couldn't find anything else about a fuel filter in the index or by tracing out the line on the drawing.

John

·
Registered
596 Posts
It causes me some mental discomfort that the Odyssey does not have a fuel filter one can change, as a part of routine maintenance. It ranks right up there with the transmission filter which is not a regular service item. I am the type who likes to see and feel items like that and, at least occasionally, to install new ones, so that I know they are "on the job". I hope Honda knows what they are doing re those things and that it is not just a ploy to make their vans seem "low maintenance". I guess we'll find out, should we drive 'em to high mileage......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am also slightly concerned that the only fuel filter is in the gas tank. In fact, that is almost scary to me. I guess it would be good to get the whole tank down so you can clean up any sludge at the bottom, but geeze no fuel filter before the fuel rail? Thanks John for trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just got my '02 FSM today from Helm and the first thing I checked out was the fuel filter replacement. The gas tank does NOT need to be removed. After removing the rear (second row) seats and carpet, the fuel filter and pump are reached through a screwed on access cover in the floor. Draining the tank isn't necessary. A special spanner wrench is needed to remove the filter/pump assembly but it looks like something that could be improvised by a handy shade tree mechanic.
This filter replacement looks relativly easy, even following safty precautions and system pressure relief, and a less then $20 is something I'll do at 30K mile intervals just to make sure the fuel pump has an easier time of it.

-Mark

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mark for the clarification. Sounds a lot better than dropping the tank. I wonder if after this is performed, the interior will smell like gas. What still puzzles me is that there is no recommended replacement interval - just if it's below a certain psi. I would guess by then it would be too late. The word "Preventative" doesn't seem to enter the Honda Engineer's minds.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I will change the fuel filter at 30K because this is a common mileage recommended by manufacturers to replace fuel filters. My Nissan Maxima FSM says 30K for example.

I agree, waiting until the fule pressure drops, which can only be checked with a fuel pressure gauge and proper adapters for the pressure regulator port on the fuel rail, seems like closing the barn door after the cows get out.
I've got a fuel injection pressure gauge but don't know if I've got the right fittings to adapt it to the Ody. 30K miles sounds like a safe bet to me for filter replacement.
I sure don't want to have the fuel pump go bad.

-Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oops - my bad I guess. It is somewhat confusing in the 2001 manual, because under Fuel Filter Replacement on page 11-187 it says; 1. Remove the fuel tank unit (see page 11-189). When you go to 11-189 the heading is Fuel Tank Replacement! I think they had a typo, it should say see page 11-188: Fuel Pump Replacement. Sorry I didn't read it closely enough......
John

·
Registered
596 Posts
Make sure you have lotsa ventilation when you do that job and that you do not cause a static discharge while doing it. It could raise heck with the paint on the roof, not to mention lotsa other stuff. Gasoline is a VERY powerful substance and messing with it, especially in any proximity to a spark or flame is deadly. I knew someone who was washing parts in gasoline out in his garage and had the vapor travel along the ground, through a breezeway and into his laundry room where it made contact with the pilot flame of the water heater. He survived, but, his home was severely damaged. Just a coupla cents worth on safety.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did replaced the oryginal pump on aftermarket DENSO pump. The fuel filter is not replacable but you can clean this applying brake cleaner several times and pressure till the cleaner comming out get clean. The aftermarket DENSO pump has to be with the same diameters . The original pump has lenght L= 108mm and W=38mm. If the L is diferent then this, the pump will not fit to the plastic shell. So be sure about this P1040186.jpg P1040190.jpg The work is simply forward, needs some cautions, disconect battery, and before you start be sure to have fuell presure release. Buy new fuell striner from ebay or dealer store

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
This has become a fix when it breaks part instead of regular maintenance. Filter last longer on return less fuel systems than they did on recirculating designs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It causes me some mental discomfort that the Odyssey does not have a fuel filter one can change, as a part of routine maintenance. It ranks right up there with the transmission filter which is not a regular service item. I am the type who likes to see and feel items like that and, at least occasionally, to install new ones, so that I know they are "on the job". I hope Honda knows what they are doing re those things and that it is not just a ploy to make their vans seem "low maintenance". I guess we'll find out, should we drive 'em to high mileage......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX
Nah. It would rank worse than the tranny filter. I find changing the tranny filter to be relatively painless (near the ABS module). If this fuel filter is in tank I'm going to choke an engineer!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Changing the tranny filter on my '03 was not painless , IMO. :)
Yes, the fuel filter on my '03 is at the pump, inside the gas tank. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
207 Posts
...fuel filter in the gas tank. Another one of those ideas that seemed good at the time, to someone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changing the tranny filter on my '03 was not painless , IMO. :)
Yes, the fuel filter on my '03 is at the pump, inside the gas tank. :eek:
Buffalo4
Can't imagine the 2003 being any different than the 2002. When I thought about doing the tranny filter after watching the video, it looked overwhelming. I've not taken a wrench to a car since my carbureator days. But removing the air intake (painless), battery (zzzz), battery holder (one bolt required squeezing my big arm underneath to get at), unclipping a few connectors (yawn) was easier than anticipated. Remove filter, put in new one, then put stuff back inreverse order.

That sound easier than having to depressurize the fuel (no clue how to do this at the moment), remove back seats, disconnect neg. batt term, remove carpet plates, pull up carpet, open access, try to remove that ring nut thingy without special tool, and get at pump and filter.

LOL! I'll take the tranny filter any day over that! ;)

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Can't imagine the 2003 being any different than the 2002.
Yep, the fuel filter on the 2002 is also in the tank.

Can't recall anyone having to replace it.

Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts