Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I mentioned this when I first joined in the Introduce yourself section, but never posted it here.

I have an 08 LX. When my gas light comes on (usually around 400 miles highway) and I stop to fill up, I have never had to put more than 17.6 gallons in my tank. And yes the 08 LX is supposed to have a 21 gallon tank.

Has anyone else had a guage that was off this bad?

Also any other LX owners that got screwed and did not have a cabin filter installed at the factory?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
tftp said:
My '03 gas light routinely came on with less than 250 miles on the odo, barely 12 gallons used.
04 here...Gas light routinely come on AT about 150 miles......15 gallons used

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The problem is not in the gas guage but in the design of the tank. The tank has a large flat bottom. This means there is a lot of gas spread out on the bottom of the tank when the senser armgets close to the bottom. Look at most cars and you will find they are sloped to the lowest point allowing a higher percentage of the gas usefull. Just another of those great Honda designs.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
William Wiles said:
The problem is not in the gas guage but in the design of the tank. The tank has a large flat bottom. This means there is a lot of gas spread out on the bottom of the tank when the senser armgets close to the bottom. Look at most cars and you will find they are sloped to the lowest point allowing a higher percentage of the gas usefull. Just another of those great Honda designs.
I get the same thing in my altima. 20 Gallon tank...Light comes on with 5 gallons left. Difference between this and the Oddy....the Altima has about 350 miles where the Oddy has 150

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 09 EX is the same. The light comes on after approx 17 gallons is used. I don't consider this a problem. Now you know you have 3 or 4 gallons of gas left sloshing around in the tank. I would rather have the light come on early than too late. Figure you can travel maybe another 75-100 miles or so with the light on at 25 mpg if you feel lucky.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
WW it's those gas suckers down there in south western PA. Every time I go down to WVA SE PA just suckw the gas right out of my tank in those hills.......:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
diligence said:
My 09 EX is the same. The light comes on after approx 17 gallons is used. I don't consider this a problem. Now you know you have 3 or 4 gallons of gas left sloshing around in the tank. I would rather have the light come on early than too late. Figure you can travel maybe another 75-100 miles or so with the light on at 25 mpg if you feel lucky.
The only problem I have with the light coming on early sits in the passenger seat demanding we stop for gas...

Just don't tell her I posted this!!!

I really just wondered if this was an Ody thing that was normal. I had an 84 RX-7 that the fuel gauge only worked from Full to Half, then you just had to know how much farther you could go. Never have run out of gas, except at the pump in my 99 Civic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So when is the gas light supposed to come on? I have an 07 EXL and was driving mostly highway miles toward the end of the tank tonight. I had just over 400 miles on the tank and was damn near empty. The light never came on. This is only the first week we've had the van so I didn't want to push it and stopped to fill up. I think it was around 18 gallons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't seem to be a set mark for the light to come on, just drive it for a little while and I'm sure you will find your comfort zone for refilling.

Just remember you have 21 gallons...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just filled up my tank today. Odometer shows 630kms and needle BELOW the E. I filled up with 62 litres so technically there's 18 litres left in the tank. That's about 4 gallons. I don't think I'll ever find my "comfort" zone. Better hook up my scangauge.

·
Registered
778 Posts
After 4 years of driving and fueling the Odyssey I have settled on the fact that when looking at the gas gauge, each half equals 8 gallons and when the light comes on, which happens slightly before the needle arrives at "E", there are 5 gallons left. I personally have driven a good 90 miles before fueling after the light came on. (Although I do not reccomend it, but I saved a good 30 cents a gallon by doing it). Even then it was not "bone dry".

·
Registered
252 Posts
'08 EX-L; When gas light comes on, it takes 16.5 gallon every time. I tested it several times while driving to/from Chicago-Miami. Once I put almost 20 gallon in after getting 500 miles on the highway with my wife saying I am the one walking if we run out of gas. I just has to do 500 once!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ody08er said:

Also any other LX owners that got screwed and did not have a cabin filter installed at the factory?
IIRC the LX is the only trim that doesn't have the cabin filter.
There is at least one thread that talks about how to get one installed; a search should find it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm annoyed with the "Range Remaining" display in my 2010 Touring. When it shows 0 miles remaining on the amount of gas in the tank, I'll fill up and it will only take 16.x gallons. So that's not really the range remaining, if it will go another 80 ± miles.

I understand the concept of not wanting to run the tank too low. But if it's going to give a remaining range, at least make it accurate.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got exactly 18 gallons in after 420 mile round trip this weekend!

Just cause its 22 or whatever gallon "capacity" doesnt mean the fuel pickup can suck fuel when there is 1-2 gallons remaining.

Not to mention the sloshing of fuel when low, if your pump runs dry often enough it will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
seems a good enough thread to vent/gripe/worry in - normally I can run the fuel gauge needle down to the middle of the E and then it'll take 71-72L to fill (21 gal = 79.5L capacity). Today with the gauge barely touching the top of the E the car went bleah :p - fortunately I had enough speed to coast off the main road and onto a side street, and there were 3 gas stations within 80m. Took 73L to fill it, so I'm a bit perturbed, but really more worried. I was first thinking maybe the fuel pickup tube has developed a hole towards the end, but reflecting upon what I just wrote it really seems more like the fuel gauge is reading differently than before.

Does the caller have a question?

Well, I guess I'm looking for either words of encouragement "yeah, the Ody's fuels gauge's accuracy is known to be so-so" or words of wisdom "yeah, when the fuel gauge does that it means the sending unit is about to explode and should be replaced"

Thanks for listening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts