Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of our GG '01 EX a few days ago. I noticed that the fuel gauge dropped from 25% empty to half empty very quickly.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced problems with faulty fuel gauge readings ?

If so, has the dealer been able to correct these problems ? Would appreciate your experiences on the accuracy of the fuel gauge.

Also, the dealer indicated that in Colorado, the cheapest grade fuel is sufficient.
Has anyone experimented with filling various fuel grades and monitored vehicle mileage ?

Thanks! Best Wishes.

[This message has been edited by anonymouse (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by anonymouse (edited 03-26-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed some irregularity in the fuel gauge of our 2001 LX. Specifically, the low fuel warning lamp glows while there is still a significant amount of fuel in the tank. Typically, 6 gallons or more. For a 20 gallon tank that is 30% fuel remaining. Seems a tad early considering the there are about 150 miles of range left (2+ hours of highway driving).

It has been stated in CR that changing to a higher grade of fuel is a waste of money if the vehicle is designed to run on 87 octane. The Ody, however, is said to generate 5 more horses with premium fuel. That extra power should improve mileage slightly (in theory). What isn't clear is if a mid-grade fuel will give an extra 1-2 horses. It'll take some sustained monitoring to determine this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gas Light does come one very early. I guess it is part of the design. When the light does come on I can only pump in around 16 gallons. It is definitely annoying. I have started letting the needle drop down to "E" before putting any fuel in. I can usually get in another couple of gallons that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see the same thing too. Maybe its to prevent folks from running the car until the last drop of gasoline is used and then have all the debris from the gas tank clog up the fuel system

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think this guage reserve problem is due to the flat and wide design of the resin gas tank in the Ody. Gas level, when it is low, is much more sensitive to vehicle inclination with this flat design and more reserve is required to avoid the gas pickup from being uncovered.

The fuel gauge sensor functions pretty much like your toilet tank float ball. If you have a larger surface area, the liquid volume changes more with the same change in height. So even though there is a 20 gallon tank, it maybe somewhat risky to try and push the limit unless you are doing straight and level freeway driving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fljoe:
I see the same thing too. Maybe its to prevent folks from running the car until the last drop of gasoline is used and then have all the debris from the gas tank clog up the fuel system</font>
Never understood this argument. Where's all this debris come from? And whats in there that the fuel filter won't catch anyway?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gas mileage depends alot on driver traits. FWIW, We have a'94 Voyager that has a 3L V6 and have always gotten around 20 mpg. This is for a 70/30 city/hwy mix. My father has a 99 LX Ody that avgs 20-22. I also think weather impacts. My 2000 Civic LX is rated 32/38, and this winter on almost exclusive highway driving, I've gotten 30-33. I was getting 36-39 from Aug. to Oct. Am really looking forward to picking up our SS LX in less than two weeks. Was built 3/19 and we have the vin #, can't wait.

·
Registered
254 Posts
switching to regular fuel results in a 5hp and 12ft/lbs of torque loss according to honda. i have only run one tank on 87 octane fuel and did not notice a real difference. i always run 92octane fuel.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my 2001 Odyssey for 6 weeks now and have found the fuel gauge to be on E when I have 8 gallons left. The dealer changed the fuel sensor. It still needs only 12 gallons on E, and when the light comes on it fills with only 13.4 gallons. Does anybody else have this problem and is there a fix? 2001 GG EX

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just realized today that i too am having misleading readings from the gas gauge. Have been filling the tank when the gas gauge reads less than 1/4 tank remaining, and average fill at that tank reading is 11-12 gallons. At first I assumed that the gas tank was small, but upon reading the manual the capacity is 20 US gallons. Anyone with suggestions on what can be done about this if any?

------------------
jay-q
'01 GG EX-N
'91 Accord LX

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same early fuel warning light here on our 2001 EX. Light comes on and we have 5 - 6 gallons left (only fills 14 - 15 gallons). Looks like a design issue to me.

I'm very curious about the higher octane issues that are being discussed, especially with the higher prices of fuel. My guess is that with only 5 more hp for 92 octane (91 not sold here in general) vs 87 octane, that the lower octane is cheaper to operate.

Questions:
1) Has anyone noticed increased power with the higher octane? [our Ody is new, so we don't have much data on this yet]

2) Does this translate into higher mpg? If so, how many more mpg?

3) Final economic analysis, is the higher octane worth the extra cost per mile?

4) Engineering issue, does running a lower octane hurt the engine? I realize that there are sensors in the VTEC to reduce ping (early detonation)by retarding the spark advance, thus lowering the power. So, theoretically there shouldn't be any mechanical harm. There may be a small consideration regarding the detergents additives in preventing sludge builtup in the fuel injectors and fuel system.

Complicated issues, but relevant with new summer gas prices and premium jumping up every week lately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This post is in response to these message threads,

Re: Gas sensor light
Re: Fuel tank - does it really hold 20gal?
Re: fuel gauge problems, fuel grade and mileage

NOTE: These results apply to one 2001 Honda Odyssey only (your mileage may vary)

Summary Results:
The fuel system holds approximately 22 US Gallons, but the last 3 to 2 Gal. is NOT usable.
With the vehicle stationary the fuel pump starts sucking air with between 3 and 2 Gal. remaining. If you were moving the effect could be worse.
The low fuel warning light comes ON with between 6 to 5 Gal. remaining.
If you fill-up to near the top of the filler neck, you have 20 to 19 Gal. usable.
Your fill-up may vary by 2 Gal. depending on gas station pump velocity.
If you stop filling at the first pump "click-off", you have 18 to 17 Gal. usable.

Gauge Gallons

F 22 to 17
7/8 15.5
3/4 14.5
5/8 13
1/2 11.5
3/8 9
1/4 7.5
1/8 6 (Fuel light ON 6 to 5)
E 2

Ever wonder why the gauge only has F, 1/2 and E marks?

Detail Results:
Van parked in garage, front wheels 2" higher than rear (sloped floor).
Remove fuel line at firewall connector, tubing to gas can(s).
Hot wire fuel pump, pump tank dry
Add 1 Gal. of gas, Record gauge reading, (Repeat 22 times)

Gals.
22 Overflow, slightly
17 F on gauge
16 1-needle widths above 7/8
15 between 3/4 and 7/8
14 1-needle widths below 3/4
13 5/8 on gauge
12 1-needle widths above 1/2
11 1-needle widths below 1/2
10 2-needle widths below 1/2
09 3/8 on gauge
08 1-needle widths above 1/4
07 1-needle widths below 1/4
06 1/8 on gauge
Low fuel light ON
05 2-needle widths above E
04 1-needle widths above E
03 1/2-needle width above E
Sucks air
02 E on gauge
01 1/2-needle width below E

The Odyssey has atypical fuel filler plumbing, with the inlet tube half way up the side of the tank.
This tends to result in gas station pump "click-off" being a function of how fast you are pumping.
In my case pumping slow puts in around 2 Gal. more than pumping fast.

There may have been fuel left in the tank after the pump ran dry, but who cares.

This confirms what most owners have found, fill-ups of 16 to 14 Gal. after the low fuel light comes ON.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Goodness.

Fascinating.

Way more information than I needed to know, but fascinating anyway.

You just *GOTTA* love this forum! Thanks gharris. This is something I would have never done myself but it sure is nice to know how something works.

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
192 Posts
See! I KNEW someone would do that

I just finished a long vacation and used the odometer instead of the fuel gauge. After testing the method on the first couple of fill-ups, I determined that I was getting about 24 mpg (75-80 mph, couple hundred pounds of people, couple hundred pounds of cargo, roof top carrier wind drag, under 5K on new vehicle, no less than 89 octane used). Not too bad. I knew that I had 20 usable gallons to work with, so 480 miles was my maximum range. I knocked off 50 miles (about two gallons) for safety and used 430 miles as my re-fuel point (ignoring the fuel light). I tracked this mileage each fill up using the B trip counter. This worked great and I was able to extend my driving time... which was needed on this very LONG trip.

Oh, how I long for the days when Empty meant EMPTY.

As a side note: I bumped up the tire pressure half-way through the trip in the hopes of better mpg (just as an experiment). It didn't work! I got the same mpg the whole trip.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just filled my 2nd tank of gas last night. My fuel light went on at about the same level. I filled up both tanks with 14-14.5 gals. My average mpg is ~16 on 2nd tank for about 90% city driving in hot So Calif weather.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
215 Posts
The solution seems simple enough. You know approx what mileage you are getting, the capacity of the tank, and a tripmeter. What more do you need?

As far as filling up before it is "empty". What's the big deal if you fill up a little early? I know when the low light comes on I have about 5 gals left or about 100 miles and check the trip meter, but I always fuel up early, particularly on long trips just to stretch etc. I really don't understand waht the beef is?

As to the light coming on too early-some people don't look at their gauges that often, particularly those anywhere near the speedometer, so it could be on for some time before the low fuel lightis noticed.

Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know where I heard or read this, but my understanding is that with today's electric fuel pumps on cars it is not a good idea to run them to empty because the pump will run hot. They are installed in the tank partly for cooling by the fuel. Running it to empty may affect the life of the pump. I used to run until the tank was almost empty, but have avoided doing so since hearing this. May have been on Car Talk? Not sure.

John

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 1st Gen. Ody and it seems you can never fill the tank past the full mark on the guage. It then goes through the top half quickly and the bottom half slowly. I get around 30mpg Cdn.

I remember reading somewhere that the in tank part was faulty and could be changed out. I have never done this. This ensures that I never run it too low and that saves your fuel pump by always keeping it cool.

------------------
'96 Odyssey, 254,000Kms and a
'90 Accord, 219,000Kms

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just returned from a trip of 2400 mi. in one week and my milage was about 24mpg on average. It was primarily all interstate with a bike on the roof.
We did notice the gauge stays on F for a really long time, then once it got below 3/4 to it move more evenly.
Having a 4 year old we did not get any more than 354 miles on a fill-up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts