Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I have posted this in the wrong area please move it Mods.

I have a 2008 EXL-Res that I purchased new. it will be going on 3 years old here in 2 Months or so. This past year has been a Nightmare with Little issues such as the water pump bearing replacement, Interior Lamp replacements,New tires, Brake recall ,Trans Judder and some other small issues. I went thru the gambit with the Judder , but the dealer came thru and replaced the Torque converter and had did a Software upgrade before hand. Having the software upgrade did nothing but mask the problem for a short time. Currently the Van has 36k miles on it. I Run Mobil 1 5/20w & 0/20 in colder months Also a Drop in K&N filter.

Around town Mileage is about 18mpg which is expected. Recently we took a Trip to Orlando and with that trip i got a a whopping 21MPG hwy needless to say I was Livid and trying to find a answer to this problem. 2 adults and 2 kids and all our Gear. Think thats alot ? I also have owned a 05 EXL which could have been the best Van I have eve owned as it got better than 29MPG at some point on long trips. BTW i use premium on Loaded Long hauls. I do realize that the 05 Has a Different Final drive ratio.

When I got home I cleaned the airbox sensor with a Specialized CRC spray which the honda dealer had told me to go ahead and do. I also removed the K&N and put back the factory filter for now. Still no avail no changes at all.

Anyone have any Input ? Thank you !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also say that the past 2 years before this year I got about 25-27mpg Hwy, Just after this year the Fuel Mileage has taken a Serious drop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
One culprit might be the change in gasoline composition for the winter months. Certain additives will reduce mileage by 2-3 mpg during this time of year. That being said, if you are suffering the same issue during the summer months there must be some other reason for the drop.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There must be something different from the 05 that you have. I also have an 05 and can vouch for the 29mpg on long trips in the spring time. The last trip we took we got >25mpg this was going over 70 mph for a 3 hour trip, 4 people and the back full.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had an issue with my accord 5 years back. We took a 600km trip and got our normal mileage. A week later I had to do the same trip and my mileage was about 6-7 mpg less. Same number of people, weather, etc.

I took out the spark plugs and found that were somewhat dirty for only 120k km. I took it to the dealer and they took a closer look. I think at the time they replaced the plugs and did something to the emissions computer (not sure what). But after that the mileage was back to what I had been experiencing prior to the problem.

If the dealer doesn't know what to do, I would ask if you can have a case opened with Honda America (you may need to do this). If everything is documented with the dealer, then they can get some help from the Honda Engineers to figure this out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
don_chuwish said:
No change in tires or tire pressure?

- D
Around 22k I put on New Yokohama AVID TRZ and Keep the Pressure 1-2 above the Honda tire Placard. I typically check pressure Once every 2 weeks.

Yeah i thought about the Winter blend fuel. This trip was Back in October I guess they start the Winter fuel then ? Even in the Southern states ?

Funny thing is the Local Fuel economy has not suffered at all yet the Highway dropped like a rock. Th ECO light comes on all the time and i typically drive 5 mph over the Limit which could be 75mph w/ cruise on in the southern states.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I use 38 psi on the OEM tires.

With 2 adults, 4 young kids and the usual gear, went for a long trip (this is the best way to measure fuel mileage to rule out engine issues such as bad spark plugs etc.) and at highway speed os 65 mph, I got 24-25 mpg.

·
Registered
178 Posts
At least you are getting 18mpg in the city. I am lucky if I even get 15mpg in the city. I think I average 14.5mpg. This all happened after the software update. Before the update, I was getting 16mpg.

Highway is ok at around 22 to 23mpg. Ok, meaning that is what the mileage was before the update.

All Honda can tell me is to stop looking/calculating the mpg.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would try not using premium.. It is a waste since you don't need it! i have heard it can make a difference.

Second also on the winter blend. Also now that most gas is up to 10% ethanol, that doesn't help either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DavidGSR said:
I would try not using premium.. It is a waste since you don't need it! i have heard it can make a difference.

Second also on the winter blend. Also now that most gas is up to 10% ethanol, that doesn't help either.
I agree, However Using Premium seems to me too Make a difference when loaded to the Hilt with People and Gear.Especially when traveling in the southern states in very Hot months.

I use regular when we are not traveling which is most of the time. 10% ethanol has been around for quite some time now and i have used it in my Past 05 Model as well. In fact I cannot find a station around me that does not have the 10% ethanol in it.

I'm starting the Believe the software updates they did mid summer are to blame. Now to figure out how to approach Honda on the subject.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
My MPG always sucked in my 04 except for Highway miles. However...I did notice that it started to fall apart after the 3 yr mark. Must be a Honda thing.

Just had the falling off exhaust fixed today at 45K miles:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
vaporsilver said:
Around 22k I put on New Yokohama AVID TRZ and Keep the Pressure 1-2 above the Honda tire Placard. I typically check pressure Once every 2 weeks.

Yeah i thought about the Winter blend fuel. This trip was Back in October I guess they start the Winter fuel then ? Even in the Southern states ?

Funny thing is the Local Fuel economy has not suffered at all yet the Highway dropped like a rock. Th ECO light comes on all the time and i typically drive 5 mph over the Limit which could be 75mph w/ cruise on in the southern states.
Its the tires. We put a new set of Goodyears on back in May. Before we were getting 18-19 in town, 27-29 on the highway. I lost 5 mpg.

Reason I know it was the tires, we put them on right before leaving for the beach. The last 2 yrs, I could leave home, go down to the beach and within 70 miles of my house coming back before filling back up.

The morning we put the tires on we filled up 35 miles from home right after we put the tires on. I had to fill up 30 miles outside of the beach coming back.

In town didnt change. We bought the tires at Sams and they offer 30 days 'like or return'. We returned the tires, put the Michelins back on, and gas mileage is back to normal.

At $2.50 a gal it wont take long to get back the extra $80 the Michelins cost us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
29 mpg??? That would be awesome! My '07 Ody Touring has never gotten more than 22 on the hwy...with PAX tires and after dePAX'ing. Wish I could figure out how to get the elusive 28 mpg they promote for the highway. Also, 16 or so around town.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
There is no way one can get 29 mpg on an Ody unless you:
- drive alone
- cruising downhill for 100 miles straight!!!

Ody as a rule averages 24-25 mpg on hwy and that is it.

I get 29-30 mpg on my 1998 BMW 528i (2.8L engine and lighter car than Ody) with 5-speed manual trans.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
cnn said:
- drive alone

\.

It's is very possible......

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
2007 Ody Curb Weight ---> 4400 lbs

1998 BMW 528i curb weight ---> 3500 lbs

The difference is 900 lbs. There is no way the Ody can get 29 mpg on a flat straight stretch of highway.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Mine has........with full luggage and 6 people.

So Did My GTO.

As does My Altima....

And our old Bonnieville got 36HWY.

All in the foot

·
Registered
26 Posts
wild willy said:
All in the foot
Yeah, I thought that so for several tanks I was very conciensous of "the foot" and never got above 18MPG City/22MPG Hwy.

I am sure there are tons of other variables as well. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
cnn said:
- drive alone
There's other ways:
- didn't fill the gas tank completely before calculating mpg
- gas pump shut off way before getting to the previous fill point

I can't quite buy into an Ody getting 29 MPG either.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts