Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 2004 odyssey with about 85k. Lately a few times try to start the engine and does not fire. I did not hear the fuel pump so on a chance i banged on the bottom of the fuel tank with my trusty metal flashlight and bingo it fired. Now Honda says that it would not act up for them, so they did nothing to try and solve the problem. This has happened three times and each time i bang on the fuel tank and away we go.

I think it has to be the fuel pump or a wire connector leading to the pump pigtail that has corroded, any one have any other ideas? Thanks ntrain

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
There's a fuel pump access cover inside the van. If the connectors are corroded, you can fix them here without dropping the tank.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.
Campaign Number, Case: 04V420000, P43
Defect Report:
Recall Initiator: MFR
Dates: 2/3/2004-7/15/2004
Date Owner Notified: 9/27/2004
Vehicles: 2004 HONDA ODYSSEY
No. Vehicles Recalled: 69538
Noncompliance: ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, THE FUEL PUMP MAY FAIL DUE TO CORROSION OF AN ELECTRICAL TERMINAL.
Consequence: IF THE PUMP STOPS WORKING, EHT ENGINE WILL STALL WITHOUT WARNING, AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL CHECK THE ELECTRICAL COUPLER TERMINAL OF THE FUEL PUMP. IF ANY CORROSION IS FOUND, THE PUMP WILL BE REPLACED. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 27, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel pump replacement

I replaced the fuel pump in my 2004 oddy 2 weeks ago (125,000 miles). Mine went out completely and would just turn over and over and not fire. I could not hear it "hummm" when I switched the van to the on position. I bought a new pump for around $90 and a screen for $16 and replaced them myself with little trouble. You have to pull back the carpet and access the pump between the middle two seats (remove seats and pull carpet back from drivers side, sliding door). The following should help. BTW the pump is on top of the fuel tank and easy to get to.

1. Remove the rear seats and carpet.
2. Remove the access panel from the floor.
3. Turn the ignition switch OFF, then disconnect the fuel tank unit 5P connector. (I didn't do that step)
4. Remove the fuel fill cap.
5. Relieve fuel pressure.
6. Disconnect the quick-connect fittings from the fuel tank unit.
7. Loosen the fuel tank unit locknut .
8. Remove the bracket , the fuel filter, the fuel gauge sending unit , the case , and the wire harness .
9. When connecting the fuel pump, make sure the connection is secure and the suction filter is firmly connected to the fuel pump .
10. Install the unit in the reverse order of removal with a new base gasket, then check these items:
o When connecting the wire harness, make sure the connection is secure and the connector is firmly locked into the place.
o Do not push the lower part of the suction filter.
o When installing the fuel gauge sending unit, make sure the connection is secure and the connector is firmly locked into place. Be careful not to bend or twist it excessively.
o When installing the fuel tank unit, set the marks between the fuel tank and the fuel tank unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you replace the fuel filter, it is in the assembly and is the part that you push the pump into, Mine was totally clogged, and since the part is not available separately, I had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly.It is a separate to the fuel sock which is attached to the pump intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts