Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and early happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!
Anyways i work at a mini dealership. Fuel quality is huge in the bmw/mini world .ever since i started there i have only used non ethanol 91octane from kwiktrip .the van loves it and i can absolutely tell the difference in performance. My wife however has a 2001 tahoe and only uses 87 octane garbage. What do you guys use or recommend.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I use only 87 octane and am not overly particular about brand. I do tend to try to use top tier gasoline from major companies such as BP , Sunoco, etc.

I don’t worry too much about the gasoline I use.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When the van or truck needs 87 Octane minimum, it's not garbage. It's only garbage when the bimmer requires 93! And if you prefer the 91 then go for it! (I've only noticed the performance in my wallet!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Costco fuel is what I use, personally. Although when I lived in Canada Shell [allegedly] used no ethanol in their 91 octane fuel and that was deemed 'better' so I used that; not sure if that is still the case but probably unimportant.

87 octane fuel is not garbage, but if you claim it is then feel free to prove your claim. If your engine is pre-detonating with 87 and you need to put 91, then your engine is the problem not the fuel. 91 octane fuel is unnecessary as these engines are not tuned for higher octane fuel and do not benefit from it whatsoever. There have been plenty of studies to prove this over the past 15+ years and countless articles.

Whatever 'benefits' you think you feel are psychological. Honda knows their engines and their requirements better than you do. There are some that claim [on new Honda's with CVT transmissions] that they get a little better MPG's with 91/93 octane fuel but tests are inconclusive.

Only benefit of changing fuels would be running E85: that I can definitely feel a difference in performance [on vehicles TUNED FOR IT] and it burns much cooler than regular gasoline, especially when turbo(s) are involved. However, this is definitely not a topic relating to Odysseys 😅

Edit: you cannot seriously be comparing a BMW engine with a Honda J-series; I've had plenty of both to know. Leave the poor Odyssey alone, it's not a #racekor.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also use Costco 87, absolutely nothing wrong. Quality or garbage of the fuel is not about its octane level. Just like a smaller size of a shoe is not necessarily low quality if it fits one foot well.
I mentioned my experience in other forums with my 94 Altima, 96 Maxima, 00 RX300 and 02 QX4, between 87 and 89. I could not feel any difference in idle smoothness, acceleration, mpg, etc. Therefore, I fill in 87 99% of the time. 1% times I use 89 whenever I like to for no particular reason.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well different octane fuels are meant to ignite under different conditions, that's why if you put 87 octane fuel in an N54 engine it will misfire like [*insert analogy here*], until you feed it the correct octane fuel. Whereas an Odyssey engine is NA, tuned for 87 octane fuel, does not have very high compression [10:0 iirc?], so does not require a higher octane fuel. Of course altitude has a different effect on fuel octanes and such but you can research that if you live above 10,000 ft.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree that you use only the octane "required" by the manufacturer and buying higher octane than that is just a waste of money.

I had a Chrysler 300C with the hemi which recommended (didn't require) 89 octane for better performance. Even then I used 87 most of the time and really noticed no difference when I would sometimes fill up with higher octane fuel.

I do try and use TopTier gasoline as much as possible, which is easy since Costco is TopTier and usually has the lowest price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I said i worked at a mini dealership. I didnt compare the 2 as they are drastically different. Read the thread .i knew this would start a conversation.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Using anything above what is recommended for the vehicle is rarely worth the trouble. I've seen some say their catalytic converter codes sometimes go away when burning higher octane. It's not "better" for the engine, however. Putting in what is recommended is the key. If your requires 91 then don't use 87. Using 91 or 92 when it only requires 87 is usually a waste of money.

Reactions: antares119

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your using an octane higher than recommended,and what your engine was designed to use, your throwing your money away. Higher compression engines require higher octane to prevent pre-detonation, as lower octane level will detonate before the plugs fire due to the heat generated by the higher compression, therefore using a higher octane level in a vehicle that has lower compression, that fuel does not burn fully before the exhaust valve opens and that unburned fuel ends up in the cats.

As for fuel that you get from Costco or BJ's, The reason why their prices are lower is because they have little to no additives in their fuel. It's the additives that the different name brands add that make s the price difference.

And from personal experience, Costco and BJ's ARE NOT top shelf... They purchase from the cheapest seller at all times, Every tanker they get may say the same thing on the trucks, but those trucks are filled by a different supplier every time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I said i worked at a mini dealership. I didnt compare the 2 as they are drastically different. Read the thread .i knew this would start a conversation.
I guess I don't understand your point here.

Octane has nothing to do with the quality (87 is not necessarily garbage), buying TopTier ensures they have the necessary additive packages to keep things clean.

Getting fuel without ethanol is probably the reason for a performance difference - ethanol has less energy per volume that gasoline. Besides few vehicles being able to use it, E85 hasn't taken off because it's not much cheaper per gallon and the fuel economy is much worse due to the much lower energy density. I would love to get fuel without ethanol, but it's not available in my area and I rarely see it when filling up on road trips.

You asked what people use, I told you I mostly use only the minimum octane required by the manufacturer. So that is 87 for my Odyssey. In the past I had a car requiring 91 and put premium in exclusively. In my opinion, paying more for higher octane than required is a waste of money. It's a free country though and you can buy whatever you want.

·
Registered
260 Posts
As for fuel that you get from Costco or BJ's, The reason why their prices are lower is because they have little to no additives in their fuel. It's the additives that the different name brands add that make s the price difference.

And from personal experience, Costco and BJ's ARE NOT top shelf... They purchase from the cheapest seller at all times, Every tanker they get may say the same thing on the trucks, but those trucks are filled by a different supplier every time.
Think you are wrong about Costco. Two things required to be Top Tier:
  • All retail locations within the licensed country must meet the high standards of the TOP TIER™ program.
  • All gasoline grades must be treated with an approved TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline additive at the correct concentration.
I doubt Costco would get away with advertising they are TOP TIER if they were not. Here's a link if interested:

As far as BJs, they are not TOP TIER.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Think you are wrong about Costco. Two things required to be Top Tier:
  • All retail locations within the licensed country must meet the high standards of the TOP TIER™ program.
  • All gasoline grades must be treated with an approved TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline additive at the correct concentration.
I doubt Costco would get away with advertising they are TOP TIER if they were not. Here's a link if interested:

As far as BJs, they are not TOP TIER.
I stand corrected here.... Costco is now a top tier.... However the link that was posted is based on vehicle manufacturers regulations as what is considered as top tier fuel. I however go by the EPA's requirements by what is considered as top tier as their requirements are far stricter.... Costco was added to their list of approved vendors in March of 2020.... So technically I was just out of date... And to be "Licensed as top tier" only means that they are above minimum standards as posted by the vehicle manufactures regulated requirements, not by the Federal Government.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I stand corrected here.... Costco is now a top tier.... However the link that was posted is based on vehicle manufacturers regulations as what is considered as top tier fuel. I however go by the EPA's requirements by what is considered as top tier as their requirements are far stricter.... Costco was added to their list of approved vendors in March of 2020.... So technically I was just out of date... And to be "Licensed as top tier" only means that they are above minimum standards as posted by the vehicle manufactures regulated requirements, not by the Federal Government.
What are you looking at when you say the EPA requirements for Top Tier? Whose list was Costco added to in March?

If you dig more at the web site I provided the link to the whole reason why the sponsoring auto manufacturers developed the Top Tier program was because they were finding the required level of detergent additives mandated by the EPA were insufficient to prevent engine deposits. In other words Top Tier is a higher standard for detergent additives.

I would think the EPA as a government agency only sets minimum requirements and that no fuel supplier could sell their product if it did not meet or exceed these requirements. It makes no sense auto manufacturers would establish this Top Tier program if they determined the EPA standards were adequate to protect their engines from harmful deposits.

Costco has been Top Tier for years (displayed at their pumps). I've been a Costco member for over 11 years and don't remember them not being Top Tier. In any case it is not a recent development and was well before March. Maybe they re-certified in March?

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on Costco and Top Tier providers.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
21 Posts
TopTier and 87 octane for everyday use. When traveling heavy in camper van mode, heavy surf trip mode or have tons of hills/mountains I notch it up to mid-grade (89 octane). If in heavy mode and a Costco is around I just go with hitest as they don't sell mid-grade. Based upon experience my heavy load mid-grade not only provides better performance but also better gas mileage.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also use Costco 87, absolutely nothing wrong. Quality or garbage of the fuel is not about its octane level. Just like a smaller size of a shoe is not necessarily low quality if it fits one foot well.
I mentioned my experience in other forums with my 94 Altima, 96 Maxima, 00 RX300 and 02 QX4, between 87 and 89. I could not feel any difference in idle smoothness, acceleration, mpg, etc. Therefore, I fill in 87 99% of the time. 1% times I use 89 whenever I like to for no particular reason.

Costco fuel is a Top Tier product. Sam's Club, Citgo and Murphy are not. Shell, Chevron and Mobil are. Brand x like Speedway, RaceTrac, and other off-brand gas is not You can find the list of Top Tier gasolines on the internet..

Top Tier fuel has a better additive package than he EPA requires. but from what I see, it's just a bit of overkill.

All cars sold in the US are supposed to run properly on 87 octane even if the manual says 91 or higher, but there is a power penalty by using a lower ocvtane in an engine that is amde for a higher octane.. For a number of years, with the coming of fuel injection, maybe 20 or more, the EPA has mandated a minimum additive package for all gasoline, and clearly it has been adequate in my experience.

I have always run my cars on the cheap gas, with no consequences that I could determine. No adverse spark plug issues, no nothing. But I did worry some.

Every 10k (or more), I still add a container of Chevron with Techron additive to a tank of gas. Later, I found that the Bob the Oil Guy forum recommends this. There's some photos there that show that Techron really does work. Chemtool B12 is another additive that likely works well.

At 160k I had to replace a head gasket on my '95 Integra GSR (1.8 liter, 8200 rpm premium required engine. I always used regular in that car. My daughter had it at the time and ran the radiator dry (now she knows what boiling antifreeze smells like!). Considering the mileage, the valves were in very good shape and didn't leak at all. There were some thin, minor deposits on both the valves and the pistons that came off pretty easily with a small rotary wire brush - nothing at all like the fake Shell ad showing all that gunk, supposedly from using cheap fuel. A few times I did run premium in the Integra, and I could tell a slight difference in power, but not very much. I even ran my C7 Corvette and a VW Turbo on regular gas, and they all ran fine. I'm too frugal to spend another 10-15% for gas for another 5-10% more power - if that. No value there.

My Dad used to use premium Esso (now Exxon) gas in cars that didn't need premium, and he could never explain why.

SO - you can comment all you like about this (and spend more for gas than you have to, if you think it helps your vehicle). All I'm saying here is that regular gas has worked for me in today's cars where the EPA mandates that all cars are to run properly on regular gas, as mine have, without consequence.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all and early happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!
Anyways i work at a mini dealership. Fuel quality is huge in the bmw/mini world .ever since i started there i have only used non ethanol 91octane from kwiktrip .the van loves it and i can absolutely tell the difference in performance. My wife however has a 2001 tahoe and only uses 87 octane garbage. What do you guys use or recommend.
High octane gas is not the recommendation for Honda’s and any extra performance would not outweigh the cost difference. Perhaps the benefit is imagined.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts