Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife told me that last night she smelled a strong gas smell after filling tank.
Checked last night and saw no leaks. Opened fill latch and had no major smell there.
Inside cabin did have strong smell. Left doors open overnight and told her to check. Today she still smells fuel in cabin.
No check engine light. She saw no drips under van when running (although it's January and there is slushy snow on ground).
My plan is:
- Check gas cap seal
- Motor running, check for dripping

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, opened gas cap. Rather than a quick 'hiss' of air, there was a longer sucking sound. Like a very strong vacuum.
Let van run in garage for a while and saw no drips on floor. Smell not as strong as yesterday (drove about 75 miles) but still have some smell inside.
No check engine light.
Started suddenly after filling tank, she said she didn't overfill of get anything on clothes.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
How many times did the handle click when topping up the tank? Was anything done before this happened? Look for the charcoal canister it could be malfunctioning & releasing the fuel from it. Let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, opened gas cap. Rather than a quick 'hiss' of air, there was a longer sucking sound. Like a very strong vacuum.
Let van run in garage for a while and saw no drips on floor. Smell not as strong as yesterday (drove about 75 miles) but still have some smell inside.
No check engine light.
Started suddenly after filling tank, she said she didn't overfill of get anything on clothes.
Any ideas?
Ever solve this?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I thought about maybe the fuel pump, but even if it leaked there's a cover that would block the vapor. I think I got it: you must have a fuel line at the engine side that broke off or leaking and when your AC or heater is running it sucks in the vapor? open your hood, check for a smell and run your engine while you look at all the fuel line and connectors. if nothing smell under your van. doesn't seem safe to be driving with gas in the car, at least roll your window down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts