Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have the auto climate control, what settings do you use?

The Full Auto seems to be the most logical choice, but I think it could affect the MPG's a little because the A/C compressor will more than likely come on when the system senses that the windshield area is "cool" and needs defrosted.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shaners:
For those of you who have the auto climate control, what settings do you use?

The Full Auto seems to be the most logical choice, but I think it could affect the MPG's a little because the A/C compressor will more than likely come on when the system senses that the windshield area is "cool" and needs defrosted.

</font>
Yes, the AC will cause you to take a hit on fuel mileage but personally, I've not found it to be that big a deal. For me, prevailing wind conditions and how "I'm" driving the car makes a "much" bigger difference in the fuel mileage I see than having the AC on or not.

If you're happy with the ventilations systems performance in "Full Auto" mode, I wouldn't worry about it much.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put in Auto but let the fan speed in manual in the low to mid settings to avoid the fan noise.
I am one of those who believes that a high fan speed does not mean faster cooling or heating.
I also find it it irritating that the fan blows cold air when the engine is cold (when it should be heating). It does not have enough sense to 'keep quiet' until the engine warms up.
Lucky for me, I face this problem in Texas. Pity those up North.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use the floor and windshield vents with the air off. I will probably do the same with air on when the windows need defrosting. If you do run with the air off remember to run it with the air on atleast once a week to keep the air compressor lubed properly as recommend in the owners manual.

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honda4:
I also find it it irritating that the fan blows cold air when the engine is cold (when it should be heating). It does not have enough sense to 'keep quiet' until the engine warms up.</font>
Interesting....when in full auto, my fan in the Ody doesn't start blowing until the engine warms up.

To answer the original question, I usually run in full auto, and sometimes only switch the A/C off. If I want it warmer or cooler I only adjust the temp and not the fan speed.

[This message has been edited by cmmeyers (edited 12-18-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmmeyers:
...I usually run in full auto, and sometimes only switch the A/C off. If I want it warmer or cooler I only adjust the temp and not the fan speed.
[This message has been edited by cmmeyers (edited 12-18-2001).]
</font>
I do the same, full auto with the A/C off during the winter. My wife is always messing with the fan speed and it drives me nuts. Set it at 68 and leave it alone!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Reviving an old thread (hey, this shows I use the search feature before posting a question :p ) here...

The owner's manual is pretty quiet at explaining what happens in Full Auto. For example, how/when does it decide which vent to use?

Also, is there a way to control the rear temperature automatically? So far, all I've seen is either let the rear left passenger control the air flow or let the driver control it. There is no mention about how to set the temperature.

Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sylvain said:
Is there a way to control the rear temperature automatically? So far, all I've seen is either let the rear left passenger control the air flow or let the driver control it. There is no mention about how to set the temperature.
I don't believe you can do that. And not only can't you do that but as far as I can tell you can't even "just run the fan". All I want to do is get some air circulation in the back without heating or AC. But it appears I can't just run the fan. Am I missing something?

I had an old Windstar and it had exactly the same (poor) design.
It's mystifying to me how so many people who design climate control systems all fail to provide a way to do the very simplest things.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My question is can you even control the temp in the rear manually? It seems that you either get hot air or cold air, all you control is how fast it moves. Is that right:confused:?

Also, since there's only one compressor, if you turn the AC off in the front, does it also turn it off in the rear? If so, that would effectively mean that the blue dots then would be 'fan only'. Of course, that means you don't get AC in the front either:( .

·
Registered
747 Posts
The A/C button on the dash will turn on/off the AC in the rear. If you turn it off, the rear control becomes fan speed only for overhead and of course it will blow hot air from the floor for heat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are TWO heater cores and compressers, the other ones being located in the rear passenger side. although it doesn't seem this was done for flexablity but to get a rapid temp change for such a big volume of air.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The rear has a heater core, yes, but not a compressor. There is only one A/C compressor, and it's under the hood being driven by the engine.

What's in back is the A/C equivalent of the heater core. It's called the evaporator. It takes the compressed cold R134a and runs it through finned tubes, allowing the room air to go over these finned tubes and transfer the heat from the room air to the cold fluid. In the process, the fluid evaporates to a hot gas. This hot gas is then returned to the front of the vehicle where it goes through its own "radiator" under the hood to remove some heat from it, and is then piped to the compressor to compress it to a cold fluid again for sending back to the evaporator in back.

So there's a heater core and an A/C evaporator up front, and another (smaller) heater core and A/C evaporator in back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually, the 'fluid' is not really cold until it evaporates. The compressor is there to compress (hence it's name ;) ) the gas into a fluid and when this fluid is then allowed to evaporate, it 'grabs' the energy (ie heat) around it hence 'creating' a cold. It's this cold that cools down the air. Same reason why your propane tank is cold when you use your B.B.Q. The compressed propane evaporates and this creates the cold.

adam1991 said:
... allowing the room air to go over these finned tubes and transfer the heat from the room air to the cold fluid. In the process, the fluid evaporates to a hot gas...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well, yes, that's quite correct. I was just being, shall we say, loose with the facts for the sake of simplicity.

But you're quite correct. It is just like the propane issue.

All of this is nothing but energy transfer. Heat isn't going away; it's being transferred away from the inside of the vehicle and over to the outside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Looked at some earlier questions.

In order to get fresh outside air, neither heated nor cooled, turn the temp control all the way down to 60 degrees, turn the AC off, turn both front and rear blower speeds from AUTO to any speed.

Am I right on this? :confused:

·
Registered
124 Posts
sinbad said:
Looked at some earlier questions.

In order to get fresh outside air, neither heated nor cooled, turn the temp control all the way down to 60 degrees, turn the AC off, turn both front and rear blower speeds from AUTO to any speed.

Am I right on this? :confused:
I would say yes :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
sinbad said:

Does the temp control have to be all the way down to 60 degrees or just below whatever the sensor is detecting?

·
Registered
124 Posts
JoesYum said:

Does the temp control have to be all the way down to 60 degrees or just below whatever the sensor is detecting?
In the manual it says that if you want to overide the temp control and force it to run in HEAT or COOL mode 100%, you move it to one extremity.

What's odd is the US model goes down to 60F while the Canadian model only go down to 64.4F (18C). 60F is 15.5C...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts