Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not a big fan. Offers great protection though. I'm lazy so I would leave it on longer than I should. Did that with one of my vehicles and i had scratches and hazing on the hood and rust along the front fenders. If you're vigilent, you should be good. Otherwise, not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clear bra is too expensive IMO; this is a lease, don't really want to over-invest in it. I'm lazy too, so taking the thing on and off all the time sounds like too much work. I actually like the look of the nose mask, but I guess its a little '80s old 'skool.

How does it install?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Clear bra is too expensive IMO; this is a lease, don't really want to over-invest in it. I'm lazy too, so taking the thing on and off all the time sounds like too much work. I actually like the look of the nose mask, but I guess its a little '80s old 'skool.

How does it install?
If it is a lease and you'll be returning it at lease end, you are basically renting, so why do you care? As long as some stone chips are considered normal wear and tear, just drive it and forget it. Many of the nose bra products trap dust and grit underneath them and rub against the paint as you drive. 3 years later, when you take it off, you have a sanded hood that needs a repaint. That won't be considered reasonable wear and tear by Honda.

I agree that if you just hate looking at stone chips, just get a 3M film installed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that if you just hate looking at stone chips, just get a 3M film installed.
I don't care too much to be honest, but I kind of liked the look of the mask in the pictures; perhaps I'm living in the past - I haven't seen any vehicles with bras in a long time admittedly. Not sure what will happen at lease end, more than likely I will return it for a new one, but I'm pretty anal about my "stuff", even if it isn't mine.

I may consider the 3M film, but at $399, I'd rather take the family out for dinner a few times :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered and received an Odyssey nose mask from Amazon. It was easy to install and looks great on my new Odyssey. I had one on my previous 2003 Odyssey for 10 years, and never took it off in all that time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We ran the factory bra on our last 800-mile trip to Disneyland. We averaged 75-80 mph. I noticed that the tabs that you insert between the headlight assemblies and bumper cover tend to work themselves out and allow the corners of the bra immediately below and to the rear of the headlights to float away from the bumper cover.

Otherwise, it does its job of protecting the front end from errant debris. I only intend on using it for long trips on the freeway.

-Carl

·
Registered
12 Posts
After 2 weeks, I'm pretty happy with this bra except that the front wheel well clips slide forward so the bra bunches up and wrinkles at the wheel wells and there seems no way to anchor the clips more securely short of drilling holes....not. I'm headed on a 3k+ mile drive to Iowa in two days and may remove on return.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you like the look of it, just get it, who cares about the rest. I have all terrain tires on my Jeep because I like the look, not because I off road. Its your ride, do what you want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had one of these for our previous SUV. I only used it while on long freeway trips though. Worked well at stopping the bumper destruction you get from bugs. Clearbra is too expensive IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If it's a lease I wouldn't do anything... your only protecting an asset you don't own. Only do it if you like the look, and realize that if you leave it on too long and it affects the paint quality you could be liable, so just put it own for select trips, etc.

If you own, I would highly recommend going the 3M clear bra route. The reality is that without it you will have lots of stone/debris chips on your car and just have to be okay with it, or get the front end repainted at some point. The OEM bra is only good for occasional and not daily use so you still get the stone chips in the front, so aside from how it looks I find it largely just a visual thing.

I went the 3M route on my STI when I bought it new in 2005 and to this day my front nose looks almost brand new, it was well worth the money especially on cars with a lot of paint on the front nose. Based on my previous experience with our Subaru, I went ahead and had it put on our new 2012 Odyssey. In my opinion if you want your car to continue to look new over time there are a few things you can do to really help yourself out... get a clear bra applied, wax the car on a regular basis, and keep the interior leather/carpet from getting to dirty.

I'm not a crazy clean freak, we have kids and this is an Odyssey not exactly a sports car or high end luxury ride so I'm not the guy who is out cleaning all the time. We just get the cars detailed inside and out each spring and fall, with a coat of paste wax going on each time then just wash occasionally as we have time. Just my $.02...

·
Registered
32 Posts
These things went out of style in the 1980s. As others mentioned, they destroy the paint underneath either by grinding sand or simply because it fades differently.

The secret to washing bugs off a car after a long trip...

Take a couple of big towels, soak them in water and lay them over the windshield and front hood/bumper. By the next morning the bugs will come off easy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you have a black vehicle, it's not that visible. If you have any other color, it looks like the face of the car was dipped in chocolate. :)

Seriously, I've had a bra applied to a couple of past cars, too lazy to remove and replace, I kept it on full time. As a result, I did notice some paint fading and a slight residue left from the bra itself.

It does the job of protection, however.

It's your money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1. Around here, the only ones who use these things are drivers of 15 year old + Dodge Caravans parked at Walmarts. They do an effective job of damaging the paint. I had one on my car in 1991, and there's no way one would come near any of my cars today. 3M/Ventureshield or nothing. I can guarantee that even if you are careful, some way or other the paint will be damaged.

These things went out of style in the 1980s. As others mentioned, they destroy the paint underneath either by grinding sand or simply because it fades differently.

The secret to washing bugs off a car after a long trip...

Take a couple of big towels, soak them in water and lay them over the windshield and front hood/bumper. By the next morning the bugs will come off easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hahaha, I almost forgot about this thread. I get a little obsessive about my cars, but it faded with the Odyssey. Its a fantastic vehicle, but I can't even remember the last time I washed it :rollingeyes:.

My new baby is my '06 M Roadster ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have the instruction sheet on how to install a full Honda Nose Mask on a 2001-2004 Odyssey. Id like an actual instruction sheet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts