Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Is the spare full and can I fit the occasional 4x8 drywall into the van if nessesary?

TIA

Bob

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
Hey all,

Is the spare full and can I fit the occasional 4x8 drywall into the van if nessesary?

TIA

Bob
</font>
No, the spare tire is a doughnut, and yes you can fit a 4x8 drywall and/or plywood in the van. The only thing that would get in the way would be the U clamps that secure the third row when in it's in use. (I'd just put a 2x4 on top of the sheets that did fit, to keep the other drywall sheets above the clamps.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plywood and drywall that are EXACTLY 48x96 will fit fine but watch out
for melamine or MDF. They are oversized (49x97)and have very sharp edges that will scuff the sides of the hatch as you load it in. I found out the hard way.

------------------
00EX (16K)
90 Sable wagon (168K)
89 Cougar (205K)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeB:
for melamine or MDF. They are oversized (49x97)and have very sharp edges that will scuff the sides of the hatch as you load it in. I found out the hard way.

</font>
I share your pain-my rear hatch perimeter bears the scars of a sheet of melamine that I had to take back into the Home Depot and have cut so I could fit it into the Ody-to say I was annoyed and embarrassed is an understatement. I never thought it would be so close (one silly little inch!), but at least standard plywood will still fit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeB:

</font>
What are melamine and MDF?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Melamine is that plastic-coated stuff that is used in shelves - usually white or black. MDF is medium-density-fiberboard, which is usually the inside of the melamine shelves. Its basically sawdust that's been glued together to form a piece of material.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also volunteered my van to help a friend bring home 20 or so sheets of paneling for his basement. As stated, they fit just fine (except for when the stack gets up to the seat latches), but my van also bears the scars on the plastic trimwork on either side of the hatch opening. It is curved in that area to almost insist that it be damaged when loading that size material into the van.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
What are melamine and MDF?
</font>
Think of MDF as being a denser version of particle board. Great for speaker cabinets!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you do much such hauling, you will either end up with much damage to the plastic or you will get some sort of canvas to protect those surfaces. I do a LOT of hauling and I have a canvas which is actually longer than the load space, which allows it to be pulled out over the bumper, thus precluding damage to that fine piece of work. The Honda interior plastic is particularly vulnerable to damage, since it has an outer "skin", which others do not seem to have. My DC van would become marked, but, there was not an outer layer on the plastic which would actually be abraded off and look even uglier. The Honda stuff looks great until it is scraped and then, suddenly, it looks worse.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
128 Posts
So does anyone know about the full-size spare? There is a diagram on the plastic flat tire bag that suggests that the well should be big enough to fit, but my measurements show otherwise.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It was discussed in an earlier post. It was decided, I think, that one could start a new trend by putting a full-sized spare up on the top and lashing it to the roof rack. If the right person did it, I'm sure EVERYONE would have to have such an installation right away......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 12 of 12 Posts