Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 LX with two funny noises

Noise #1 - after starting and driving off there's a light metallic *think* that occurs right at 20kph. Searching revealed a poll where someone mentioned the parking brake cable making a similar noise at 15mph or so. ANy thoughts? Something that I need to worry about, secure with clips/ties, or ignore it and be happy?

Noise #2 - after driving for about an hour or so in cold (near/below freezing temps) I get a definite whirring noise that changes pitch with engine speed. Doesn't ever do it in warmer than freezing weather, or short trips in cold weather. I'm inclined to think alternator, idler pulley (assuming it has one) or PS pump - something not mounted directly to the engine block where it'd stay warm. Noticed some threads about PS pumps making "the whining noise", though they mention that it typically does it when it gets warm. It's never hard to turn the steering wheel as well. However, I have also noticed a small oil spot forming on the driveway right below where the radiation would be, but a local mechanic found no sign of leakage when I had it checked out a few days ago (it's illegal to have an oil leak in your car in germany). So again, any thoughts?

I'm hoping someone will know "oh yeah, that's the 'demodultorerpumpingthingie' that always goes out since I have to order parts myself from the US as it's a US spec car.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
#1 - Normal, discussed 100s of times on this board

#2 - Dont think it is normal, might want to visit your stealer :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
#2 Sounds like the power steering-related TSB for '06 models. Pretty quick fix at the dealer, once they have the parts. Check out the TSB stickies here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just wanted to update that changing the PS reservoir made noise #2 go away. Now I have the either piston slap or excessive valve clearance noise in its place. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts