Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah, the VCM, I would add a VCM mod to any Odyssey that has VCM. I don't know when the timing belt was changed. At best, I can assume it has been changed sometime in the past... I don't see it running 203K miles without a change. I can smell the oil burning when I get out of the van. So, maybe worse.
Easy enough to remove the running board... the problem is that the metal trim that is usually under the doors, is gone. I looked and would have done this. I even considered swapping the sides, but I see that the trim is specific to LH and RH sides.

2012 oil issues = that's related to the VCM, which can still be bypassed, right?

·
Registered
656 Posts
If there are any U-Pull yards in your area, you might find the replacement trim at a reasonable price. Check with the online dealers what new would cost. Also, in my area 2nd Gen are plentiful, 3rd Gen are not always there!
And congrats on your "new" Ody!

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
91 Posts
Yeah, the VCM, I would add a VCM mod to any Odyssey that has VCM. I don't know when the timing belt was changed. At best, I can assume it has been changed sometime in the past... I don't see it running 203K miles without a change. I can smell the oil burning when I get out of the van. So, maybe worse.
Easy enough to remove the running board... the problem is that the metal trim that is usually under the doors, is gone. I looked and would have done this. I even considered swapping the sides, but I see that the trim is specific to LH and RH sides.

2012 oil issues = that's related to the VCM, which can still be bypassed, right?
Yep, the 2012 oil issues are also related to VCM. Don't quote me on it, but I think from 2011-2013, Honda experimented with some sort of low friction piston rings or something (I might be confusing this with something I read on the Honda Insight), but in any case, the 2011-2013 engines were different from the 2008-2010, I believe. The issue with VCM isn't about the damage that it WILL cause (since you can disable it, which is what I did), but more about the damage that it has ALREADY caused. IMO, I took a gamble hoping that the VCM on my van hadn't already caused any major issues when I bought it, but I thought the risk was lower since mine is a 2007 with VCM-1.

Btw, it's entirely possible for the van to be at 203K without the belt being changed. Plenty of people have no idea that it's even supposed to be changed. If have no idea, then yeah, I think you should get it changed even if you don't plan on keeping it long-term.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Nods to all. sigh Had I not had a couple of issues come up, I would have had another $1000 to work with, would have helped my options. I'll want to look at it this way, this is my first true minivan. I've been driving my Lexus RX and other suv-van since 2011, need to change some habits. I'm going to learn more about this van, know problem areas to check. (and remove the plastic engine cover so I look for oil leaks and damage).

So, I will fix it up and use it until I am ready to replace it. By having the timing belt, door fixed and this leak. It should raise the value a bit or keep it about the same. I want the 2010 in obsidian blue. (listings popped up, 2010 EX-L w RES/NAV - $8000 w/ 112K miles & EX $6500 w/ 140K miles) I'd take the EX, something I can drive it till 2027~2028.

I will put the car-seat for my youngest, in the center position (I will move the RH seat) - for best safety... and he'll love seeing out the windshield.

Since it's raining a lot in Texas, I tried out the window rain/wind deflectors... Yep, source of wind-noise. With the window down an inch, they were louder than without. Removing them improved the look of the car and my view of the road. (ahhhh).

The smell of burning oil is the #1 issue I have with it. If the Blue Devil works (It will take several days to confirm), then great. Otherwise, I'll have to budget $100 for Gaskets and spark plugs.(Might as well do the plugs at the same time).

- I've confirmed the RH rear door cable is gone (as previous own told me) - so I have two options: (A) Get new cables for $95 or (B) a used motor with cables for $140.
Other than that, there are NO issues with my ODY. Everything seems to work as they should... great.

(Would love to de-activate the yellow TPMS light) - I wanna track down that bulb and pull it :) - Or hope that new TPMS sensors will take care of it ($50)

Okay, found the name of that part - where the running board is. It's a "Rocker panel". They are about $140. + not likely in my color (Silver might look good thou haha). But a future female buyer may like it. IMHO, I think I'll have to live with it.. and consider it a "feature" :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations, looks like you have a nice find! A lot of seedy listings on CL but that’s just how the market works. If you are patient you can get lucky.

Don’t expect that “fixing up” and older / high time used vehicle will change the selling price noticeably. The used market doesn’t really operate that way for cars older than 10 years.

I had a Lyft driver in San Diego tell me that the TB snapped on his ‘06 EX-L (same year/model as mine) at 114k miles and cost him $3500 for a valve job. I had a mech at an indy shop tell me they switched the TB change interval from 90k to 105k mi so they could report lower total maintenance cost for first 100k mi! The Aisin kit is pretty popular around here.

For the oil leak, pop the plastic engine cover off and inspect with a flex mirror. Could be the valve cover gasket(s) or seal near the oil dip stick. Don’t let it persist too long, oil can work its way into the spark plug wells…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm seeing oil leaking around the 2nd from left cylinder area - just below the valve cover. (thinking of lightly tightening it up? - Just a small turn to see if its lose, make it snug). the rest looks a bit like oil splatter to the front of the engine (right-hand side) - all drips that hit the ground is about the same area.

Thanks for the heads up on "used market.", TBH, every car I got since 2000 has been from a friend or someone I personally know. "I need a car." = "I happen to not need one, I can sell you mine."
Hence, oil leak and TB are the two things I need to get done.

I'm leaving the plastic cover off. I kinda don't like them anyway. Other than making the engine look less "scary" - what other purpose do they serve?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do not torque the bolts! They don’t leak from coming loose but from failed seals. Over torquing can cause loads of damage to the aluminum head.

Can you visually confirm it’s the valve cover or something like the VTEC assembly with a mirror?

In any event you’ll need someone to change it. Again use Honda gaskets (cover and plenum) and change the tube seals. I paid $130 in labor for this front cover job recently at a Dallas area indy shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I gotcha. Not touching the bolts. The torque values should be in my Chinnion's manual.

Getting dark already... been doing some cleaning... and figuring out how to move the seats around. Once figured out = easy. :)
First time using the LATCH system for car seat... Easy and quick, more secure. Glad I can still move that seat from center to side when my boys need a bit of space. (yeah, 6yr vs teenager).

I'll do an engine wash at a car-wash bay. (just the engine area, a bottom. Avoiding cables/wiring. So about 1/2 the front of the engine is all I need to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pics of Engine (I've not washed it yet) I've put the Blue Devil in... 24hrs later... No more leaks or oil burning smells (knock on wood)

(Whole engine - Looks pretty good for 12yr old car - other than oily area)

(Oil cap / RH Side and part of the front)

(Dipstick/ LH Side and part of the front)

(Top most pully - Looks like splatter - I will wash this area)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
The gear shifter feels slimy, the rubber material is coming off. I get the feeling that hand sanitizer is eating the rubber materials. Perhaps an aftermarket cover? Like leather or something? I found a few on Amazon, not many buyers and they say its pretty bad. :(

Looks like I can get a replacement shifter with Leather.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you get the TB done?

You can try to register at the Honda owner link site to see if there is a dealer service history. Recently they seem to have made this history available. I’m the original owner, not sure how that impacts what is displayed.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
91 Posts
Did you get the TB done?

You can try to register at the Honda owner link site to see if there is a dealer service history. Recently they seem to have made this history available. I’m the original owner, not sure how that impacts what is displayed.

Don't think that being the original owner affects what you can see on the Honda owners site. I can see the service records from the previous owner for my car on there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
With everything going on, it'll be a few months before I can get around to installing the TB/water pump kit.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts