Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I called Fisher Price customer service to see about a LATCH retrofit for my son's Safe Embrace seat. After being somewhat snottily asked why I wanted to know and what was wrong with the seat as it is, I was told that there is no retrofit kit for this seat. I just got my Ody today, though, and that seat is in there so rock solid with just the seatbelts & teather that I feel negligent for letting him and my daughter before him ride in it in our previous cars (Volvo & Accord). The entire captain's chair moves a little when I pull on the carseat frame - the carseat doesn't move at all in relation to the van's seat!

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Fisher Price is no longer making carseats, they left the business a few months ago. While they will support existing products, it is unlikely you will see a LATCH retrofit for any of them.

LATCH is not needed for safety. A good installation with the seatbelts should be just as safe. LATCH can sometimes make installation a bit easier or more convenient, though.

So, it isn't necessary to get a LATCH retrofit if it fits well with the belts. If you really want LATCH, you may be able to find a Safe Embrace II on the shelves. Otherwise, your choices are currently limited to the Cosco Triad or any newer Century seat using the Century EZ LATCH kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know F-P left the car seat business. I'm going to try the Century Brevera booster we have for my daughter with the seatbelts and see if the fit is as good or better than the EZ-LATCH retrofit gives. The base slides around a bit too much for my comfort and if I can get just as good a fit with the seatbelt I'll put the $25 to something else.

I really don't think the Latch idea is being implemented as it was intended. Only the Volvo special rigid seats seem to have it really right - a nice, rigid frame that clips to the mounting point, giving a rock-steady safe install for even the lowest common denominator. I was really disappointed with the EZ-Latch and expected it to make a really steady mount for the seat. Oh, well.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pigeon:
Thanks. I didn't know F-P left the car seat business. I'm going to try the Century Brevera booster we have for my daughter with the seatbelts and see if the fit is as good or better than the EZ-LATCH retrofit gives. The base slides around a bit too much for my comfort and if I can get just as good a fit with the seatbelt I'll put the $25 to something else.

I really don't think the Latch idea is being implemented as it was intended. Only the Volvo special rigid seats seem to have it really right - a nice, rigid frame that clips to the mounting point, giving a rock-steady safe install for even the lowest common denominator. I was really disappointed with the EZ-Latch and expected it to make a really steady mount for the seat. Oh, well.

Scott
</font>
I use the Century NextStep DX with the EZ LATCH. It is rock solid. One tip on installation though- recline the seat back. Then install the LATCH and tether tightly. Now move the seat back upright again. This helps A LOT, and it might even be necessary with some models, depending how the routing patch for the LATCH adapter is located with respect to the anchors and seat. I don't remember how the Breverra is, but the NextStep goes in and out very quickly for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the tip. That's exactly how I figured out how to get it the tightest, but it still can move a couple of inches side to side. I figure it's really no big deal, but I'm going to try the regular seatbelt once I'm offline tonight and see how it stacks up.

Scott

P

·
0 Posts
We have two Breverras for my brother, and only one is in use (in my Civic, which is the only car with rear shoulder belts as he is too big for the harness).

Another trick I found when installing it in our LeBaron was to kneel in it. I usually pulled out the seat belt until it was about three or four inches from the thing you snap it in to, then I gave it a hefty kneel and then fought it in (keep in mind you'll really have to give it some weight since the belt is a little too short). That got the Breverra in really tight. We now have a different seat in there.

Cavalier's suggestion to recline the seat DOES work. We do that in our van.

We now use three Fisher Price Futuras + the Breverra in my car. Too bad FP is not making seats any more. This is the best seat we've ever come across.

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've use the kneel in it method too, which you'd think would work well since I go around 200 lbs!

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well since we use the rear-facing position, the kneel it in method didn't work real well. We developed a "stand on your head" method that got them pretty tight,
rocking the van and/or slight move of cap. chairs when tested.

------------------
-'01 MB EX
-Honda cassette
-plenty of Scotchguard!

P

·
0 Posts
He he he!

I'm only 140 lbs. so I really have to jump on those darn carseats. We don't have as much of a problem with the Futuras because their belt path is 'opposite' the norm, which makes for a more secure fit.

And the rf one we had was just AWFUL. It was impossible to install.

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Walt43:
I just checked the website, and Fisher Price still makes car seats:
http://www.fisherprice.com/us/products/thumbnail.asp?type=ca tegory&catid=carseat&catname=Car+Seats+%26+Accessories
Give it a look. The Safe Embrace II has the LATCH setup.
</font>

Really, it's sad, but true. They are out of the carseat business. They continue to ship remaining product, and you can still find them on some shelves, but they will not to continue to manufacture seats. A call to their customer service line will confirm this.

Had they sold more aggressively to retailers outside ToysRUs, and not required assembly on their carseats, I suspect they would have sold many more and would now be reaping the increased sales from the good ratings they received in Consumer Reports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts