Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some power tailgate drivers:Tailgate Strut Recall

2008-'09 Honda Odyssey Recalled

"The gas-filled struts that help to raise and support the liftgate of vehicles equipped with a power liftgate system may be prone to early life failures to due a manufacturing flaw," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "The flaw can result in a leak of the pressurized gas, leading to reduced strut performance. Struts with diminished performance can lead to unexpected closure, increasing the risk of personal injury."

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Anyone know which VIN#s are included?
See TSB 12-011 - Safety Recall: Power Tailgate May Not Stay Open in the 2008 and 2009 TSB threads. The TSB states to check the iN VIN status for eligibility.

So, call or visit the dealer and have them run your VIN or wait for the notification letter to be sent out in March 2012.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mine just started acting up

'08 TOuring, it goes up about 70-80%, shudders, goes all the way up and then closes automatically.

just called and it;s under recall.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
done by dealer in about 45min

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 08 EX-L that just started acting up with this issue yesterday. I opened the tailgate, let go, and nearly got chopped in half.

Went to the dealer and they say I don't qualify for the recall. Told me it would be ~$400 to fix. Any ideas of getting this fixed for free?!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have an 08 EX-L that just started acting up with this issue yesterday. I opened the tailgate, let go, and nearly got chopped in half.

Went to the dealer and they say I don't qualify for the recall. Told me it would be ~$400 to fix. Any ideas of getting this fixed for free?!
The OEM is made by "Stabilus", which also makes tailgate struts for BMW, Volvo etc.

You have 2 options:
- Get Stabilus from online such as amazon etc.
- Get "Strongarm" brand ($30/each) from Advance Autoparts, with LT warranty, should any problems develop, bring the old struts to Advance Autoparts for a free replacement.

It was discussed here:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/40133-tailgate-gas-strut-problems.html

PS: To do this properly, you need a 2x4 or a broomstick long enough to support the tailgate.
All you need is a flat screw driver, it is a very very easy job.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts

The tailgate strut part number for the 2008 EX-L is 74820-SHJ-A21, which is different than the part number for the 2008 Touring, 2009 EX-L and Touring, and 2010 EX-L and Touring models, which is 74820-SHJ-A71 (as listed in TSB 12-011).

Given you have the same symptom, please call Honda customer service and report your issue on your 08 EX-L. Perhaps the other part number is defective as well? That way the TSB can be updated in the future, if needed.

The parts only cost $44.23/each at Bernardiparts and can be easily installed within minutes with a screwdriver and a helper to hold the tailgate up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The struts on our 2010 EX-L just failed and we had them replaced under warranty at the dealer. Surprised the recall is limited to the 2008-2009. Hopefully, we received the new and improved ones. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts