Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was lot of talk about if Tornado really works or not at end of last year, here is a link to the 2 threads for those new member that haven’t seen them yet:
www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8825&highlight=tornado
www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9314&highlight=tornado

When I first got the Tornado, my butt dyno told me there was some improvement in power with Tornado (you have to read the long thread to see what kind of test I did to see if it was just imaginary power gain or not). First part of this year I bought G-Tech Competition because I wanted to do some power mod’s in the future. I ran my Ody with and w/o the Tornado and found that I can trust my butt dyno. I took the resonator box off the intake long time ago and never put it back on.

The reason why I did not post the results of the G-Tech runs before was. G-Tech was to suppose to put out PC software to download and look at the results in Feb 03, but they were delayed and after checking their website for few more months I stopped looking at their site for log time until lately when I saw another thread that mentioned Tornado.

Jim F has offer to host the file’s of the 4 run’s. First 2 run’s were with the Ody stock (except with the resonator box removed), next 2 runs were made with Tornado installed. You can see the date and time stamp on filename:
Temp was around 48 degrees.
Humidity was around 76.
I inputted 4650 pounds for the weight of my Ody (It should be within few hundred pound of actual weight).
The wheel spin/burnout was about same with Tornado in or out, you can see how long the wheel spin was by looking at the graph, you will see a sharp drop at beginning (when there is more wheel spin, everything measured is lower like HP, TQ, 0-60 time with G-Tech)..

To see the data, you must download the PC software from: www.gtechpro.com/SWdownloads.html
You want the “G-tech PASS version 1.1.1” and install it on your PC. After that you can see the results by downloading the GTP files witch Jim F will post. Open up the different GTP files from G-Tech PASS program. Where you can really see the difference is in the “HP and TQ vs RPM” and “HP vs time”. You will not see any data on BRAKING, because I did not come to a stop after reaching top speed for each run (you will notice that I stopped the run at different speeds, but stopped after quarter mile mark was recorded.

NOTE: G-Tech Competition does have one problem. It reads about speed about 4 MPH faster than what is indicated on the dash, so 0-60 MPH time and quarter mile speed is bit faster than what it should be. But quarter mile time should be accurate (I talked to few people that has the same unit and runs their car at the strip, they also notice the speed is inaccurate but tells me the quarter mile time is within 1/100 seconds of the track clock).

Have fun with the data.

W

·
0 Posts
JoesYum said:
Have fun with the data.
Thanks for doing this, but spare us the anticipation (and having to download and tell us what you've found! :D

Wayne

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: G-tech run results and Tornado test.

Wayne Lim said:
Thanks for doing this, but spare us the anticipation (and having to download and tell us what you've found! :D

Wayne
I already gave you most of the data on "HYper Grounding Wire" thread.:p

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: G-tech run results and Tornado test.

JoesYum said:
I already gave you most of the data on "HYper Grounding Wire" thread.:p
You're right. Me bad (memory)! :(

Wayne

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G-Tech run data

After long wait, here is my data from G-Tech Pro Competition.

Thanks to rlpenny for hosting my files for me.

Click on the link below and save the .zip files to your hard drive, the zip file contains 4 files, two run's with Ody stock and 2 run's with Tornado installed, the file name is self explanatory. Size of the zip file is 184kb.
www.pennybaker.com/ody/g-tech/yumruns.zip

To view the files, you will need to go to G-Tech site: www.gtechpro.com/SWdownloads.html and download “G-tech PASS version 1.1.1” software(this file is bit big, 8.4MB) and install it on you PC. You can analyze one run at a time or compare two to four runs at same time, zoom in on time frame or whatever else you want to do with the data.

For more information on how the test was run, look at the 1st post on this thread.

Have fun with the data:)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
To download a 8.4mb file... I need a Tornado installed on my 56k dial-up:D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
JoesYum,

Will it make you mad if I post a JPEG of the runs?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Could you provide Cliff Notes for those of us with 56K dialup?
Thanks.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
HP and Torque Curves

The black and red are without Tornado, the Green and Blue are with Tornado!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Speed Curves

Same legend as before:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
nwf_snake
Thanks for posting because I have not been able to download the software, keeps bombing out before download is complete. Tomorrow may be better.

JoesYum
I wonder why comparison run 2 is so far out there, you're sure that's the same vehicle I suppose? :)

Also, do you intend to upgrade the software in your unit (for greater accuracy) and try again?

I've often thought this would be a better engine to have in an Accord than the 3.0l it has currently and this just confirms it.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I guess it is time to fess up. I bought a Tornado when we were on our Illinois trip last fall. I bought it with the intention of trying it on our 2500 mile return trip and then returning it if I did not like what I observed and felt. Well.......

I could not decide whether I liked it or not, so I let the trial period lapse and it now has been in the engine for 7K miles. One thing I can tell you for sure is that there is NO change in fuel economy. Our fuel mileage on the return from Illinois was so close to that of our last voyage (-.2 mpg) that I would call it exactly the same. We have since done a 1.5K mile journey to LA county and home and found the mileage for the same trip, same time of year, to be EXACTLY the same to the tenth of a mile per gallon.

That said, I do not dispute the G-Tech results because our Odyssey has been running the best I have ever observed. The throttle tip-in is amazing and, to my senses, better than it was pre-Tornado. Yes, I could be experiencing the placebo effect, but I do not think so. The odd thing is that I did not feel that there was any power increase in the higher ranges while crossing the country. All this has me a bit confused, but I must say that I am enjoying that "hair trigger" throttle and the general down low feeling of better power and response.

I noticed that JoesYum mentioned removing the intake hose from the airbox and inserting the Tornado in that end of the tube. I put mine in the end just before the throttle body, which is how I interpreted the instructions. With my poor comprehension of instructive materials, I could have easily misread the how-to stuff. Also, I did read, somewhere, that sometimes such a device can cause the airflow sensor to get confused and alter the mixture. I would think the O2 sensors would correct such a thing, but I do wonder if there is some way that there is a bit fatter mixture getting into the engine and causing the enhanced low-end response. My tailpipe (the real one :p ) is pretty sooty, but then it always has had a pretty good coating of the black stuff.

Anyway, an interesting dose of "snake oil". I am not touching it, since it feels the best it ever has.

Jerry O.

W

·
0 Posts
Grand Total said:
nwf_snake
Thanks for posting because I have not been able to download the software, keeps bombing out before download is complete. Tomorrow may be better.

JoesYum
I wonder why comparison run 2 is so far out there, you're sure that's the same vehicle I suppose? :)

Also, do you intend to upgrade the software in your unit (for greater accuracy) and try again?

I've often thought this would be a better engine to have in an Accord than the 3.0l it has currently and this just confirms it.
JoesYum sent me the file separate and I tried at least a dozen times to download the data, and it bombed out every time between 6.5 and 8 megs in. Snake, thanks for doing this - I've been dying to see the graphs.

JoesYum, thanks for your work on testing this. It looks very interesting!

Wayne

W

·
0 Posts
Jerry O said:
I guess it is time to fess up. I bought a Tornado when we were on our Illinois trip last fall. I bought it with the intention of trying it on our 2500 mile return trip and then returning it if I did not like what I observed and felt. Well.......

I could not decide whether I liked it or not, so I let the trial period lapse and it now has been in the engine for 7K miles. One thing I can tell you for sure is that there is NO change in fuel economy. Our fuel mileage on the return from Illinois was so close to that of our last voyage (-.2 mpg) that I would call it exactly the same. We have since done a 1.5K mile journey to LA county and home and found the mileage for the same trip, same time of year, to be EXACTLY the same to the tenth of a mile per gallon.

That said, I do not dispute the G-Tech results because our Odyssey has been running the best I have ever observed. The throttle tip-in is amazing and, to my senses, better than it was pre-Tornado. Yes, I could be experiencing the placebo effect, but I do not think so. The odd thing is that I did not feel that there was any power increase in the higher ranges while crossing the country. All this has me a bit confused, but I must say that I am enjoying that "hair trigger" throttle and the general down low feeling of better power and response.

I noticed that JoesYum mentioned removing the intake hose from the airbox and inserting the Tornado in that end of the tube. I put mine in the end just before the throttle body, which is how I interpreted the instructions. With my poor comprehension of instructive materials, I could have easily misread the how-to stuff. Also, I did read, somewhere, that sometimes such a device can cause the airflow sensor to get confused and alter the mixture. I would think the O2 sensors would correct such a thing, but I do wonder if there is some way that there is a bit fatter mixture getting into the engine and causing the enhanced low-end response. My tailpipe (the real one :p ) is pretty sooty, but then it always has had a pretty good coating of the black stuff.

Anyway, an interesting dose of "snake oil". I am not touching it, since it feels the best it ever has.

Jerry O.
Now I'm kind of tempted, though I haven't been able to snag one of those G-Tech Pros off ebay yet.

I'm still kind of futzing with the airbox resonator removal. The idle speed is kind of weird. Some times it will drop immediately down to about 700 RPMs, where it always is, and other times it will drop very slowly from about 900 RPMs down to about 750 RPMs, almost as if it is in the deceleration mode of the programming.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of air flow sensor the Ody uses. However, it does seem like you'd want it upstream of the sensor so that if the rotational flow does any good, you want the MAF to know that immediately rather than have the O2 sensors correct it after the fact.

So, Jerry, does it feel good to come out of the closet? :stupid:

Wayne

W

·
0 Posts
Grand Total said:
nwf_snake

JoesYum

That second run, 15.42 seconds at 92.12 MPH, is way out there. According to this online calculator:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

That's a 335 HP (at the crank) run, and that's assuming 18% loss. Auto trannies are usually considered to have about 22%, meaning that the 335 is actually close to 350 HP. I know the Ody's engine is strong, but I can't believe it's THAT strong!

Using 4650 pounds and the third comparison run, it gives 271 HP at the wheel and, with a 22% loss figured in, around 330 HP at the crank.

The first two runs, without Tornado, are very consistent. The runs with the Tornado are not that much quicker in the first 60 feet, and it seems all of the gains are at the upper end. If I remember right, JoesYum also took off his resonator airbox.

Okay, I'll invest in one. Sheesh!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Okay, I'll invest in one. Sheesh!

Wayne, I never thought I would see the day!! Are ya' feeling Ok?

JoesYum,

Awesome work on the graphs and info, mucho thx... as you know it's been a topic of discussion for ...years! Knowing Jerry's talents I was expecting some homemade copy (stainless salad-spinner/dryer perhaps?):D ...but I also trust driver 'feel' for results in some cases.
Again, thx.... true data resolves many questions.

Going through a similar situation now, AEM have an intake for my SUV and a magazine ended up with 11rwhp! Just nervous about open intakes+dust+mud etc. ...but 11rwhp would be nice for $200+.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Grand Total said:

JoesYum

I believe its due to less wheel spin at start, you will notice comparison run 2 had less than comparison run 3. I did have less spin on comparison run 1, but if I remember correctly, on that one run I tried to limit the wheel spin and didn't really stomp on gas at take off.

I guess, I should upgrade the firmware:stupid:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts