Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now with all the spec and details online, I can finally make a good comparison on the trim I care, EX-L. (I am one of those don't feel like spending $3500 on RES and NAV when I can get the same function after market for 90% less $$)

Gain:
- Bluetooth with steering wheel controls (nice to have but prefer earphone for privacy)
- removable center console (don't care much, I will remove it since I have to go to the second row frequently)
- trash bag ring (same as above)
- coolbox (really nice to have!)
- 2nd row wide mode (nice to have with children and elders)
- 2GB HDD (nice to have but I can fit more songs on 6 mp3 CDs)
- Subwoofer (Nice to have but won't have many chances to really hear it with children onboard)
- USB (really nice to have!)
- trip computer (this should be standard on 2010!)
- compass (same as above)

Improved:
- auto projector headlight (really nice to have!)
- backup camera on 8" LCD (really nice to have! way better than the small mirror display!)
- driver power lumbar support (don't care, set and forget it anyway)
- one motion 3rd row (nice to have but not use often)
- 17" wheels (really nice to have!)
- wider 2nd row center seat w/LATCH (really nice to have!)
- better dash layout (great improvement! now the vent is no longer blowing on to the shifter.)

Loss:
- upper glove box
- underfloor stowage
- built-in dash stowage with door
(Very bad! with the USB occupying space in the glove box, and loss these spaces, very limited storage with the center console removed!)
- 2nd row captains chairs armrests (really bad and ugly!)
- ability to move 2nd row captain's chair at center and have wide open 3rd row access (very bad! this works even better than the center aisle opening for me.)
- folding tray table (use it everyday!)
- 6 disc CD changer (see above on 2GB HDD)
- LATCH at center 3rd row (I think it's better to have this location than the two outboard ones, especially with open center aisle configuration)

Worse:
- black outside mirrors (what were they thinking?)
- black spoiler (same as above!)
- relocation of rear overhead vents and control (how can anyone seating in the middle cool down? I use the controls on the driver side to adjust for my toddler, can't do that anymore.)

Overall there are some very nice to have but not must have new features but they are taking away things very practical to me, such as storage spaces, driver side rear AC control, the ability to install a full captain's chair at the middle etc. I guess I will stay with 3rd gen for a while. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well yeah. To have an 07-10 model and attempt to move up to the 2011, you gotta be nuts! I think the 2011 is better, but not leaps and bounds. I would want not want to lose a dime to buy a 11 model. (uhh...then again...for a dime I would...LOL)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Re: 2011 MP3 CD

peter122 said:
Are you sure the 2011's have a CD changer?
Single CD, but- and this is a big butt- when you put a CD in, system asks if you want to add the CD to the hard drive... so in effect, you can get 6 CDs in there very quickly and ready at hand, with room for many many more.

·
Registered
659 Posts
One thing about the CD player, it will only convert audio CDs not mp3 CDs. Or just buy an iPod because the iPod integration is one of the best out there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
OdyDudy said:
One thing about the CD player, it will only convert audio CDs not mp3 CDs. Or just buy an iPod because the iPod integration is one of the best out there.
Well yes, but if you wanted iPod only, wouldn't be asking about the 6-CD changer. And let's keep in mind that CD still sounds better than iPod, and HDD wav still sounds better than mp3. Welcome to the first generation whose music medium got worse in quality (well, there was that 8-track era).

·
Registered
104 Posts
The reason I questioned the availability of the CD changer - I'm quoting from the Car Connection.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049142_first-drive-2011-honda-odyssey

"Honda has also opted to do away with the ubiquitous 6-CD changer entirely, replacing it with 2 GB of flash storage in EX and EX-L models and 15 GB of hard-drive space in navigation-equipped models. Honda says that this holds the contents of 18 or 175 CDs, respectively. Another standout is the new 16.2-inch wide-screen system provides entertainment and can even split the screen in half for two separate inputs. According to Honda, it's the first OEM system—from any brand, luxury included—to offer an HDMI input."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OdyDudy said:
The good thing about the current 6 cd changer is that I can burn mp3 cds to play which mean way more than 6 cds. 800mb per disc X6 is almost 5gb! Way more than 2 gb! And it can't even store mp3! Further more I usually separate out different type of music per disc, like kids, classical, jazz, etc. Very convenient to just switch disc with one push! The 2011 offers less than half the storage and 1/6 of the mp3 space!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 11 also lost the the sunvisor extending when sun is at your left, such a simple thing, can't believe Honda missed this.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Saw an 11 on the road today......Lets not forget it is damn ugly compared to the 10

·
Registered
235 Posts
Willy... Give it time.. Like most Honda products, they can be a bit shocking at first, but once you get used to it... they look pretty good for the long run.

As for the black bits... we're hoping to get a black '11 in the future anyway, so that's a non-issue for us. :D

Most cars that look good instantly to me seem to loose it's flavor after a couple years. The designs that take a while to get used to seem to do better in the long run... that's just me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
joe422 said:
Willy... Give it time.. Like most Honda products, they can be a bit shocking at first, but once you get used to it... they look pretty good for the long run.

As for the black bits... we're hoping to get a black '11 in the future anyway, so that's a non-issue for us. :D

Most cars that look good instantly to me seem to loose it's flavor after a couple years. The designs that take a while to get used to seem to do better in the long run... that's just me.
Hmmm, I think it's kind of the opposite. Those vanilla cars look the best over the years. Probably why even a late 90's Accord really doesn't look terrible.

IIRC the Ridgeline was very shocking...how's that one doing? :stupid:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Haha... Yes, Ridgeline was shocking too... and now I have one as well :D

Replaced my '99 Yukon Denali w/ an '08 Rdigeline RTL. No turning back! Now I can't imagine not having it~

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
joe422 said:
Willy... Give it time.. Like most Honda products, they can be a bit shocking at first, but once you get used to it... they look pretty good for the long run. .
Nope...
Love the CRV
Love the Accord
Love the New little Hybrid
Love the Element
Really like the 10 Oddy

Hated the Ridgeline----Still do
Hate the 2011 Oddy...wont change

If I don't like you at first....I aint gonna like you....

:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
lol...

Well, I am a bit biased...

As for my Denali 4x4 , it was lifted 2.5", had Brembo Ferrari F40 brakes, Corvette disc brakes in rear, and went through tons of adventures for 10 years with me... After 160k reliable miles (this is a relative term)... and 2nd baby on its way... we had to look into another safer, economical, reliable and practical activity car. I came up on a good deal for the Ridgeline, and bam. No regrets.
Ridgeline is a car people want to hate... "it's not a real truck.. blah blah blah...". Whatever. It's a great vehicle.

AWD, Tows fine, tons of storage, drives and handles better than any pick truck I ever drove, and holds it's value (Thanks Honda). It's a smart buy. I would have NEVER considered this truck a year before this. (Oh yea, I had an Element too.. loved it, but eventually needed more than 4 passenger capacity).

In all honesty, I don't care at all for the Odyssey's looks. It does nothing for me. I don't find it attractive either... but ever since we decided we needed one, they started to look more appealing... but trust me, We still bought an Ody for it's practicality.. not it's pretty face. Now it's growing on me.... plus I dislike Sienna's styling more.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I can't drive anything if it's ugly...regardless of practicality. '05+ Ody isn't ugly...not super sexy either...but not ugly. '11 Ody is ugly. Element is ugly. Pilot is ugly (i tried...bought a Pathfinder instead).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Haha.. Oh well.

Like I said, I'm biased.

Can't wait for the '11 Ody's. They look great, and more stylish than the current. (Current isn't an eyesore, but the new one is appealing).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of the main benefit (or unique feature) of any van is the ability to move among the three rows INSIDE the vehicle. No SUV or other car types can do that! The 2011 can do it but not without costing owners like storage space (removing center console) or amenity (2nd row armrests) or flexibility (can't move the captain's chair to center). Without those, there is only 1 cup holder (except low in doors) and one glove box to hold anything! The new features are cool (coolbox, USB, BT, etc.) but not enough to offset the practical stuffs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts