Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of raining here in Southern California and self quarantining, I decided to take my 2019 Honda Odyssey Elite out for a drive. Upon opening the back door to the cargo area, my wife and I found a large quantity of water pooled at the bottom. And by large quantity, I mean several gallons worth of water. The photos I have here only shows about 10% of the water that was originally there. When we first saw the water, we freaked out and started cleaning before thinking to take photos. We highly suspect it's rainwater since the cargo area has not been touched for about a month and no water bottles or other water source was left in the car either. I don’t see any visible water damage or water streaks to the area above the cargo area so I’m suspecting that it’s coming from underneath the cargo area. Anyone else have this issue? How can this be fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's crazy! I would take it straight to the dealer and have them deal with it under warranty. That shouldn't leak like that!

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is a common issue. There’s a seam that is left unsealed.

Since it’s already soaked take it to the dealer. You can also search on the board here for others that have had this problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's been a couple of threads on the tailgate leaking/water getting into the cargo area. I haven't actively searched for any new ones, but here's a couple.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don’t understand how a hole in the floor pan seam at that location will flood OP’s van. He has not been driving it. Especially with the amount of water that he got.

Could there be another source of leak?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I remember one day I left the van in my driveway with more or less 30 grades down on inclination and the night before rain a lot the next morning I found water in front close to the transmission buttons and blue ray, only happened one time but I was unable to find from were the water coming from, some time I think maybe the sunroof was a little open or something

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’t understand how a hole in the floor pan seam at that location will flood OP’s van. He has not been driving it. Especially with the amount of water that he got.

Could there be another source of leak?
To my knowledge, the hole in the floor pan was only an issue with the OP of the second link.

As shrimpmoney said, there's a known issue with a seam being left unsealed. OP won't know for sure until the dealership checks out the car.

Above is a link to my post on what happened to our Ody and water getting in the tailgate, but I don't think it's relevant to what OP is going through right now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
After weeks of raining here in Southern California and self quarantining, I decided to take my 2019 Honda Odyssey Elite out for a drive. Upon opening the back door to the cargo area, my wife and I found a large quantity of water pooled at the bottom. And by large quantity, I mean several gallons worth of water. The photos I have here only shows about 10% of the water that was originally there. When we first saw the water, we freaked out and started cleaning before thinking to take photos. We highly suspect it's rainwater since the cargo area has not been touched for about a month and no water bottles or other water source was left in the car either. I don’t see any visible water damage or water streaks to the area above the cargo area so I’m suspecting that it’s coming from underneath the cargo area. Anyone else have this issue? How can this be fixed?
Really sorry to see the water in your van's cargo area. Several gallons "IS" a large quantity of water. Please let us know what the problem was when you find it. We also have a 2019 Ody and I would like to check our van for whatever caused your flooding.

There is at least one bright side to your problem. At least your 3rd row seats were not folded down into the cargo area. If it happens to our van, it will be a mess since our 3rd row seats are always folded into the cargo area.

Raptor88

·
Registered
672 Posts
Holy cow! I'll pretty upset after paying $30k+ for a Ody that leaks like that. Hope OP find and solution. On Gen 3 the issue is with the roof seams, but it usually start after a few years...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I scored the car rental lottery once and ended up with a really nice Volvo.

I carefully parked it in the corner of the hotel parking lot, and was surprised to find the rear passenger footwells full of water the next day.

Turns out their lawn irrigation system turns on at night. One one of the sprinkler heads was near the rear of the vehicle, and had the perfect angle to blast water past the door seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 touring and had this issue. About a year after I purchased I had water in the cargo area, dripping from the seam above the cargo area and even by the windshield upper corners. Then, I had issues whenever it would rain the alarm would just start blaring. I brought to my mechanic and he took off the luggage racks and resealed under them and replace the racks. I haven’t had an issue with dampness or the alarm since then. While my van is considerably older than yours, it could be that the stuff (I’m not technical obviously) they put under the racks to make a seal aren’t seated properly. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had that same problem. I called the dealer and told them I had standing water in the the trunk. They said to bring it right in. The cleaned up the whole mess, resealed and tested the whole trunk and did it all under warrantee. They even disassemble and clean one seat that had been lowered into the water. Free loaner car for the 3+ days they had the van. I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to see this OP. I feel for you because in an former car of mine I had a very large leak from a window installer who didn't do as good of a job as he should have in sealing the window. Long story very short....you can't just suck all the water out and it'll dry up on its own...because it wont. There is typically a foam underlayer under the carpet that holds water like a sponge. You need to remove the carpet to get under there, and also remove the foam to dry it out. After I removed everything from my car there was still ponded water under everything. This needs done asap to keep mildew from forming. I hope the Honda dealer gets to the bottom of the leak and dries your vehicle well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts