Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
In my 01 Odyssey I do not have my garage door programmed (yet).
My question is if the garage door opener is operable if the ignition is off.

I would be concerned that someone (if they broke in to the van) would then have access to my garage/house.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heh - I was going to guess no - but I had to try it. (2010 EXL)

Surprise!! It works with the key off, and works with the key off, out and the doors locked. This is about a secure as a regular battery-powered remote, although you can't take it out of the car when you go inside. . .

Yours may be different but it's easy to test - push the button and see if the light blinks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wait - the light may blink, but did it operate (send the signal) to the door? I would have sworn that our 2008 did not operate sans power on, but I guess I never tried (I shall soon) because no other car I owned before permitted this. There's a benefit to this, really. Like written above, my little pocket openers work all the time, too, and I can use them to open or shut when needed without the hassle of reaching in and keying first.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Are you telling me I need to start the van in the closed garage before I can press on the garage door button in the van? Does not sound retarded to you?

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
The HomeLink is no different than leaving your physical remote on the visor. It works with keys out of the ignition and as sontakke pointed out, it needs to work with the keys out. A relay mod might not work as if the system is disconnected long enough, you'd need to reprogram it (so I would think atleast) and I doubt any of us are willing to reprogram running up and down a ladder to press the learn button on the GDO.

We always keep the house locked so even if the thugs get access to the garage, all they can get is some food from the refrigerator and my tools. They're not going to get access to my house which is armed with ADT if they break the door down.

I see no issues with this as if they really wanted to enter the house, they're not going to go through breaking into the garage and then into the house but rather, they'd just break into the house from the rear door of the house itself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone breaking in to my garage is a home break-in in my book.
...and I don't think leaving a physical remote in the car is a good idea either, but I appreciate that carbon monoxide poisoning has a certain ring to it too.

I guess I can see both sides. :D

Also Dv, I think you're right on the power source being needed to hold the programing.
One solution is to wire a (ignition dependent) relay to the buttons themselves before they reach the brains of the clicker.

This way the clicker will hold the programing, so the buttons would be disabled with out a 12v supply.

It's probably harder than it sounds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and it just occured to me why I sound nuts to you guys....

I don't park my van in the garage. it's in my driveway full time.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
andyf80 said:
Oh, and it just occured to me why I sound nuts to you guys....

I don't park my van in the garage. it's in my driveway full time.
No you're not sounding nuts. But this discussion has happened on here before too.

Also, my Accord has the HomeLink programmed to my garage and stays out every day as the Maxima and the Oddy occupy the garage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sontakke said:
Are you telling me I need to start the van in the closed garage before I can press on the garage door button in the van? Does not sound retarded to you?
No, we're saying you can push the button to open the garage door with the keys still in your pocket. Just like having one clipped to the visor.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I guess if you are that concerned about it, you probably have a few options:

1) Don't use the Homelink.
2) Move to a safer area.
3) Lock your garage door after you go inside. (Using the big metal bar that goes through the rails)
4) Build a bigger garage.
5) Clean you garage so you can park inside?
6) Leave the garage door open and get a Pit Bull
7) Use an outside keypad instead of Homelink
8) Use a tradtional remote, and take it with you when you go inside the house.
9) Program your Homelink to open your neighbor's garage & hope the thief will head over there instead of your house

I want to thank the OP...... I have three cars that all have Homelink and a two car garage, so one of them is always outside. It never concerned me.....until I read this thread. Now I won't sleep tonight.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
psu ody fan said:
I want to thank the OP...... I have three cars that all have Homelink and a two car garage, so one of them is always outside. It never concerned me.....until I read this thread. Now I won't sleep tonight.
Ah the sarcasm. Only from you PSU. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
our garage opener has the option to "lock" incoming signals from the openers except the keypad.

so, if we leave for a few days AND at night we "lock" the receiver.

craftsman and chamberlan has this option... i believe them to be the same units :)

maybe others?

joel

·
Registered
389 Posts
JAvendan said:
our garage opener has the option to "lock" incoming signals from the openers except the keypad.

so, if we leave for a few days AND at night we "lock" the receiver.

craftsman and chamberlan has this option... i believe them to be the same units :)

maybe others?

joel
It's rare but when there's a power failure and it comes back on, this feature is disabled. Every situation needs a touch of paronoia.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
andyf80 said:

Also Dv, I think you're right on the power source being needed to hold the programing.
I doubt that would happen. I have never had to reprogram the Homelink buttons after disconnecting the battery.

I was wondering why you need the garage door opener programmed for your van if you park it in the driveway. Maybe you're pushing the button to open the garage door when you pull in to the driveway as a way to get into the house. What about a keypad remote that you attach to the outside of the garage? You could use that instead of the van's Homelink remote.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Steve P said:
I doubt that would happen. I have never had to reprogram the Homelink buttons after disconnecting the battery.
On second thought, you're right. I now remember that my Maxima was out of comission from Nov to Jan/Feb and quite a bit of that time, the battery was disconnected as I almost had a fire in the alternator. I don't remember having to reprogram the Maxima's HomeLink. So for the guys trying to power the HomeLink with a +ve from the ignition, it might work out for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Newbie here trying to learn a few thing or two on the Ody.

Having owned BMWs for the most part, I can say the BMW home link system makes more sense.

you CANNOT operate without your keys in the ignition switch (or in the ON position). Without starting the car is OK, but you must have your keys.

It would be dangerous for someone parking outside, one could brake your window, and get inside your home. Not good.

Then again, probably too much to worry about to begin with... If there is a DIY to re-route the wires to Ignition Switched power, I hope to find it. I actually am in need to wire a radar detector that way as well.

Will keep searching, but if there is one write up, pls help point me to the right place.

THANKS!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts