Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little space to the left of the display was a nice place to mount the plastic disc (for those that have these, probably didn't know what it was used for, did ya?:D) that came with my Garmin GPS.

I can see and program the GPS easily in it's spot. Although, at 10 and 2 I can't see the whole screen... :DD

I have the Honda Navi in my Accord, and like the fact that it's a part of the car. However, the Garmin is a very nice device, with a better screen resolution, better info, and the lifetime map updates was only $70 (Christmas special last year). Since the map updates for the Honda Navi is $149 (coupon in the mail), I've only updated it once in the past six years. It's a shame the updates cost so much...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Obviously one does not want to use a screw longer than it should be so what size of screw did you use. I guess you also use something like silicone to patch up the screw?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No screw. It's a stick-on disc that came with the GPS. Disc sticks to the dash, suction cup mount sticks to the disc, GPS attaches to suction cup mount...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been trying to decide how to attach my Garmin to my '11 other than the standard suction cup to the windshield. Thought about the disk on the dash (right in the same spot where you did it) but then thought about trying to make a mount out of an old cigarette lighter adaptor and that disk so I can just put it in and out as needed. Ever seen anything like that?--Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Forget that idea...it would sit too low and you'd have to look down every time you wanted to look at it. Looks like the only way is stick it to the w/s or stick one of those disks to the dash (or a bean bag thing on the dash).:huh:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I prefer using the bean bag mount. Nothinf to stick on the van. It sits nicely on the corner of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I prefer using the bean bag mount. Nothinf to stick on the van. It sits nicely on the corner of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.
That is what I use. If you leave a mount on the dash board, thieves may break in assuming that they can find a GPS in the car ...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update this thread, I bought a newer version Garmin that's thinner and came with lifetime maps & traffic. I think I paid something like $130 for it.

I have the same mounting location, but I removed the suction cup from the base, drilled two holes through the base and through the dash piece, then installed the base to the dash with small bolts/nuts. The mounting is rock solid now. No more fallen GPS every few months when the suction would wear off.

I ran the wiring behind the dash piece down to the driver's side area, and plugged it into the lower 12V outlet. Eventually, I'll solder in an add-on 12V socket to the back of the 12V outlets so the connection will be hidden, and both 12V outlets will be available.

I'll update with photos when I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts