Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ody w/Nav, I am thinking of getting a Garmin GPS that allows the OBDII data to be sent to the GPS unit, does any know what information will be pulled from the computer?

Thank you,

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Google search on Ecoroute will give you more information than you ever wanted. It only works with certain Garmin NUVI GPS models

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that, which I did, I just did not find any information on what info the Ody will give out via OBDII.

Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
OBD2 is a standard, it should be able to pull most anything from the engine computer like RPM, vehicle speed, etc. What the GPS will do with it who knows :).

Did some digging -

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2...uvi-into-a-realtime-diagnostics-computer.html

Looks like you can display most any engine signal in realtime. On a performance car some of this could be handy, on a minivan not so much. But, the eco driving thing could be helpful, I imagine it looks at throttle position, fuel injector output, brake useage etc. and helps coach you on driving green.

Dale

·
Registered
1 Posts
(Apologies for the user name, but my Odyssey *is* 2001...)

The problem is, Garman's documentation says that which information is available *DOES* depend on the vehicle, ranging from 8 or so basic parameters up to 20 or more. And what I really want it to be able to do is obtain better fuel efficiency numbers than those based on my manually-entered back-of-the-envelope estimates for highway and city MPG, without my having to manually enter each fill-up.

So, yes, we really want to know what an Odyssey reports.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Unfortunately
outside of the mandated EPA engine information everything else is proprietary and very limited. I use a pc based scanner and while there is a lot of engine information it leaves a lot to be desired for honda while the GM information is extensive. Other than the EPA stull it seems that most of the Honda info that is hacked is limited to the high end scanners.
You can download the manual at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-11380-00 &pID=38354

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Don't count on it. Honda is like Apple. Everything is proprietary and the customer doesn't have a right to know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2360LMT with Ecoroute HD in my 2004. Love it. Makes up for the lack of a computer in the 2nd generation series. The following items are available on the gauges screen:

Engine Load
Coolant Temperature
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Throttle Position
Battery Voltage
Speed
RPM

The mileage tracking function is fairly good. Won't ever be as accurate as a factory computer, but it gets the job done.

Complaint: Once you have the EcorouteHD installed and configured, you really won't want to use the Garmin in any other vehicle because it throws the entire computing function off - there can only be one EcorouteHD profile saved per Garmin device. So now our 2360 is tied to our Odyssey and I'll have to get another satnav device for my other car. But that's a small price to pay, in my opinion.

Here are some pictures. I set up a somewhat more permanent aux power outlet near the gas pedal so I don't have to mess with it. When I'm not using the device, I simply put it inside the glove box. No cables can be seen (good for anti-theft measures). More pictures in the second posting.

P1140872.jpg P1140873.jpg P1140874.jpg P1140876.jpg P1140877.jpg P1140878.jpg P1140879.jpg P1140880.jpg P1140881.jpg P1140882.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Second set of pictures showing the rest of the available features.

One last thing - I haven't had to do the "reset check engine light" option, but it is there. Might use it someday. Might have been better to have the larger screen 2460LMT in the Odyssey. Same resolution, but bigger view for the distance away from the driver and passenger. Definitely a big fan of the Powered Base design of the 2360/2460 series. Nice not to have to mess with the power cable.

P1140883.jpg P1140884.jpg P1140885.jpg P1140886.jpg

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Why is this being connected inside the engine compartment? There is a IBD connector under the steering wheel just slightly on the right hand side.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Ooops, never mind! That was the picture of the underneath of the steering column! I guess Honda did not bother to tidy up there!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the Ecoroute HD set up and have used it with my 2001 Ody. It clears codes fine and gives that data indicated above. It can give you instantaneous MPG for the vehicle and can help in understanding what is happening with your vehicle when you drive. I use the ECOroute HD mostly in my diesel sprinter as there are some things I need to monitor there that you can't get to any other way.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
How does it handle regular GPS functions? For example, if you punched in your route to destination and if you are watching MPG screen, does the GPS override the screen when a turn comes in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How does it handle regular GPS functions? For example, if you punched in your route to destination and if you are watching MPG screen, does the GPS override the screen when a turn comes in?
That's a great question. When I am actually using the GPS for navigating, I leave it in the map view. I have not tried leaving it in Gauge/Mileage mode while the GPS was navigating a route. I'll try it out soon and repost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the way, I did not post any screen captures of the "At The Pump" section, but it is very useful. Keeps a running log of fill-ups - cost per gallon, total cost, mileage calculation (allows you to manually enter the actual amount of miles traveled versus what the GPS thinks you traveled - useful because the GPS is usually off by a few miles compared to the trip odometer...although I'm not entirely sure why), and a few other things. You can then USB-transfer those logs to your Windows-based computer to put it in a spreadsheet, if you so desire.

I'll be sad to see Garmin, Magellan, and Tom Tom become obsoleted by smart phones (likely fate). A dedicated GPS device will always outperform a smart phone, but the masses are quick to accept "average" and "convenient" solutions rather than spend more money on a superior product. One thing all three really need to do is get capacitive touch screens on all of their lines rather than only on the super-expensive, top of the line versions of their products.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tested last night. Had the Gauge screen on while the GPS was routing me home. It still signalled turns as it would with the Map screen showing. The two functions seem to work well together (i.e. the EcorouteHD functions don't disable the Map routing functions).

On another note, I never use the Bluetooth function for my cell phone. The internal mic and speaker on GPS devices just aren't good enough, in my opinion.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As indicated above, the GPS function continues to operate even on teh gauge screen and will continue to give you verbal directions if set that way. You can just go from one screen to the other as you desire. I personally like the set up, but if I had a smart phone, i would probably use the Android Torque app with the ELM OBD device - works just like the Ecoroute HD and is cheaper if you want to use your phone or tablet that way.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Does the Garmin adapter turn itself off when the car is turned off? The ELM OBD BT device are not smart enough to turn themselves off when the car is turned off and thus are not really suitable to leaving them permanently attached to the port. I have never measured the leakage current but at least the LED and bluetooth radio is active as long as the device is plugged in. The supplied 12V on the OBD port is always live regardless of the ignition switch position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts