Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 17,000+ on my 2001 ody. I am getting 23mpg.??I agree with the possibility that the altitude affects the mileage and driving 65mph most of the time certainly does. I don’t know how they came up with 27mpg on highway. Probably at sea level at 50 mph cruise control on flat terrain. Hauling 5000 pounds takes a lot of power. I am not dissatisfied with my ody. It is a wonderful machine.My next question is, why spend 20 cents more for a gallon of gas if it does not improve performance? 86 octane does not ping and 96 octane feels the same as far as performance is concerned.

[This message has been edited by dyoung (edited 10-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dyoung (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dyoung:
I have 17,000+ on my 2001 ody. I am getting 23mpg...</font>
23 is pretty good for real-world minivan driving. There's a lot of frontal area and weight to be hauling around. The key issue is at what speed to you normally drive.

My Lincoln had a display of the instantaneous gas mileage. Watching that display, I learned exactly what types of driving affected that particular vehicle's mileage. I wish the Ody had that feature.

At above 45 and then again 55 miles per hour the mileage declined sharply. Here's a generic chart of mileage and speed, to convey the idea:

<center>
</center>

I also learned that on the TownCar, the mileage didn't change much between 63 and 68. I assume that these mileage "sweet spots" had something to do with the aerodynamics of that particular vehicle. I also learned the most efficient way to deal w/ elevation changes.

Anyway, by learning from that display during my 40 mile/75 minute commute each way, I was able to improve overall mileage about 15%. I read about techniques used in cross-country mileage competitions, and that helped too.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Lower your expectations.</font>
I agree! Your are doing well IMO to average 23-epecially at that altitude with (I assume) mountainous terrain. 27 mpg is probably not attainable except under ideal conditions-flat, sea level, 50 mph on cruise control, no headwinds etc, etc. Even then...

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, then you could get to know the fellas at the charging stations, Hee! Hee! Just diggin' ya, Darell.......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep. Most people have found that there is no difference in mileage or performance using different octanes in the Ody. Just stick with regular (87) and you'll be happy and richer.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dyoung:
I am not real unhappy. I was told that if I used high octane gas it would improve. It didn’t. Thanks for your response.
I sure wish I could figure out why people think and say this stuff. There's more caloric value in "regular" unleaded than in the mis-named "premium" fuel. Ahhhhggg. I'm trying to control myself....

Oh, and this topic might do better for you under the "concerns" forum. I'm not sure how this fits into accessories....

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Yeah, then you could get to know the fellas at the charging stations, Hee! Hee! Just diggin' ya, Darell.......

</font>
I know you are...and here's one back at ya: As much as you think I'll be spending many hours at charging stations - I may not be visiting any charging stations. The car will charge while we sleep or while we work (sometimes those happen at the same time
) Ha. So take that benzene-breath.

Whew! Just moments ago I got through reading about 50 documents on the EV industry and charging infrastructure...don't tangle with me now!

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
Either that or get an EV1 like Darell!!

</font>
Truly I wish more people COULD get these things. But only 1000 were made, and even if you could find an available one, you can only lease them in Arizona and California. 2003 should be a whole new ball-game though.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Hey Darell doesn't the cord on that thing tangle up when you take too many corners.
</font>

I think the whole interstate system should have electrified chicken-wire strung above it like in the bumper-car rink. Then I could drive forever!

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, Darell, charging while you sleep sounds good to me. There are times I wish I could take on a little better "charge" while I sleep. Oh, well, I guess that's part of getting older.

Jerry O. (aka benzine breath)

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
(aka benzine breath)

</font>
Dang. Spelled it wrong. I'm the worst speller I know. Off to buy more extension cords...

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
596 Posts
You spelled it correctly, Darell. It's been a long time since I was in the old country, so I Americanized it. Maybe I should check MY meds......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts