Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think, my 2 month old 02-EXL-RES ody consumes more gas. So far I have filled up 3 full tanks of gas, not to mention half way thru my 4th tank and all I have put in is only 848 miles.
Each time I filled up my tank, I figured that it could hold 20 gallons. If I do my math right, I am only getting little over 12 miles/gallon in city.
Is this becoz its a new van, does it take a while (3k miles plus) for me to get what Honday claims 19 in city and 21 free way?
Would it be becoz, its winter time and I am consuming more heat?
Does anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is your math based on actually putting 20 gallons in each time? Do you know the amounts you put in each fillup?

The low fuel light comes one when you really have about 1/4 tank left, so if you use that to tell you when to fill up you would only be putting 15 gallons in. If that were the case, and using rough figures, you would be getting more like 17 mpg, but you would need the actual amounts put in at each fillup to be exact.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've run three tanks through mine...

16.0 mpg's
16.5 mpg's
14.5 mpg's

I'm not very impressed!!! But I account this for the weather being cold and the van not being broken in... I sure hope it gets better. (the tank with the best mpg's had over 100 highway miles on it and the worst tank was 80% intown with the rest being 2-lane roads)

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
192 Posts
We seem to be getting anywhere from 18-20 around town, and up around 24-25 in total highway driving. Been pretty consistent, maybe getting a little better on the around town with the latest fillup. We have about 3500 miles so far.

·
Registered
566 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by turnipgreen:
Is your math based on actually putting 20 gallons in each time? Do you know the amounts you put in each fillup?

</font>
Exactly. Divide the miles driven by the actual gallons of gas you're using between fill ups, not what you think the fuel capacity is.

------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you Ody has GAS GUZZLING problems when NEW, I'd suggest, wait until (6200miles/10000km) to see if you notice any difference. I honestly noticed a difference of about 20% or so. Here's a Scenario: 100% highway driving from a FILL-up in BUFFALO, NY all the way up to Hagerstown, MD (7hrs @ 70mph on 1 full tank) in our 1999 Ody EX.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Your mileage will dramtically improve after break in and with high percentage freeway driving.

·
Registered
130 Posts
And there is no question but that this van does not like jack-rabbitry. If I let my lead-footed husband at it, I get a short 15 mpg. If I drive it, I'm at 18 or better. This is city stop 'n go. Highway is really great at around 25.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've gone 900 miles now and filled up 4 times.
1st tank - 14.5 mpg - crappy
2nd tank - 18.8 mpg - about like my Junkstar.
3rd tank - 22.7 mpg - Like I get on my Continental.
4th tank - 25.1 mpg - I'm Smiling!
(70%/30% highway/city)
At this rate, I'll need to start off loading fuel soon.

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
We get around 18 in city and 25 on Highways
We are darned happy with it. My Junkstar gave me 18 on freeway...

I think ways of calculating the mileage also has to do with the 'correct' answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by whoami:
Each time I filled up my tank, I figured that it could hold 20 gallons. If I do my math right, I am only getting little over 12 miles/gallon in city...
Does anyone have a similar issue?
</font>
Yup. About 12/mlies/gallon on our first few tanks, 2002 EX. We do a LOT of stop and go local driving. We're at about 1000 miles now; it seems a bit better, but we can't tell if that's only because we took some highway trips too.
Please update how your mileage is; I'd like to know!

·
Registered
27 Posts
have now gone 1000 kilometers (600 miles)100 percent city driving and winter conditions with the following mpg (Canadian gallons are 1/5 larger than American)
1st tank---14.3 mpg initial dealer fill up
2nd tank---16.1 mpg
3rd tank---16.4 mpg
4th tank---18.5 mpg
Each fill up was at the same self serve location using regular fuel and tank was not topped up after initial shut off

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you pump up, reset odometer.
On next pump, read gallon purchased and odometer.
Divide odometer reading by gallon purchased.
That's MPG.

Make sure reset odometer after gas purchase.
My ODDY is only 500 miles still I can get average of 20 mpg....

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
After one month of driving (40hwy/60city) we are averaging 20.4mpg.

------------------
2002 EP EXL-RES
1996 Accord LX

·
Registered
86 Posts
I started out with low mileage on our van (15-18 mpg) but we are now getting about 20 in town and got back from a 1,000 mile trip yesterday where we got over 25 mpg. I was not sure I believed the people that said they got this high of mileage with such a big van, but seeing is believing.
BTW our van is a '02 LX.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My wife is the main driver for our 2001 Odyssey LX. The trips are almost a worse case scenario for fuel mileage.

She drives about 5-6 miles each way to work, through the city, with lots of stop and go driving. I don't mean slow driving in traffic, either. She takes the residential streets and there's LOTS of accelerating and stopping for stop signs.

I think we are optimistically aroung 15mpg.

However, we just drove up to Orlando for some Disney style fun this weekend (we're from Miami, FL) and I set the cruise @ 72mph on the way up. I looked at the odometer and the amount of gas and we averaged about 28MPG!

On the way back, I set the cruise @ 75-76mph and still got over 26mpg.

I know my Odyssey is O.K., but those city miles are killing MPG!!!

By the way, as a testament to the stop and go, our brake pads are very worn @ 11,500 miles! I'll be changing them this week!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our 02 mileage was very poor the first several tanks. We now have 2000 miles on her and she drank at a rate of 20 mpg with mixed city, hwy last weekend. Cool outside temp, flat roads, A/C only several times for defrost.
Just drove 300 straight interstate miles, fully loaded with cruise control on 75 mph. Still have over quarter tank left. More like 25+ mpg. I can not complain.
Our 96 Town&Crappy got 22-23 at best. But that was with a 180 HP motor. Our new hot rod's 240 HP get better. Weeeeeee!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't have our O2 Redrock yet, have a 96 3.3 Caravan that got 20-23 loaded at 75MPH, had a 2001 3.3 Caravan rental for 40 days, lightly loaded on 2 trips back and forth to daughters college got 18 and 20 at 75 MPH.= poor. My 97 Prelude driven 50 highway /50 city to work and back 260 miles per week driven normal 26-28 and babied 28-30. Can't wait to check out our O2! Just got the VIN# today.

At 75MPH what TACH. readings are you guys getting? The 01 Caravan was about 2500, hoping and have heard the ODY is lower.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts