Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a 2007 Odyssey with 46,000 miles. It's an EX-L model with navigation and DVD. Now that we've owned it a few weeks I've noticed some odd behavior.

1) The best gas mileage we've seen is 22.4 mpg with almost 100% interstate driving. This was on a recent trip where we maintained a speed of around 75-78 mph.

2) When at interstate speeds it seems to lunge. It's more pronounced when not using cruise control. It feels like a rough engagement of the locking torque converter but I don't notice the RPM's dropping much.

3) When in a parking lot if I'm not moving it seems the power steering doesn't work. The wheel is incredibly hard to move but as soon as I start moving it's easy to turn. I've owned cars in the past without power steering and know they are easier to steer when moving but when going slow it's still difficult. In the odyssey, as soon as I start to creep forward or backward it gets easy.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

·
Registered
296 Posts
1) At that speed, that's about what you're going to get. Make a point of keeping the ECO on otherwise you won't be able to get into VCM mode. My average MPG is about 23, which includes city and interstate, but then, we run about 60 and my goal is to not lose the ECO.
2 ) has the trans oil been changed ?
3) these are fat tires and heavy front end, a lot of friction -- will also cause a lot of scuffing (short tire life)
Still, while it's bad practice, the wheel should turn, check PS fluid level. Try putting it in neutral and increase the RPM a bit, does that help ? could be the pump is having a problem, but since i make it a practice to always have my wheels rolling when turning, I've not noticed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

For 1 & 2, I'm not sure if the fluid has been changed. That's something I will check on. I may just have it done anyway just to be safe. For #3, I'll try what you've suggested about putting it in neutral and adding revs. I'll also check the fluid in the power steering reservoir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts