Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type gas mileage are you getting with your Honda Oddessy? Dealer said it gets 18 in the city and 27 on the highway, but I've alway found those things over stated.

Can you share what mileage you're getting?

Thanks

Diane

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over 15,000 miles and we average over 26 miles per gallon. 80% highway, 20% small town driving. We have the LX/5 speed transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mileage @ 5K miles

The majority of the miles are hilly city miles.
19 mpg lifetime @ 5K miles
26 mpg between NJ and VA (avg speed 57 mph!)
24 mpg between NJ and RI (avg speed 42 mph - BOO!)

--------------
2011 EX-L Smoky Topaz

·
Registered
142 Posts
Initally I found the gas mileage bad with the odyssey. Here are my gas mileage numbers.

Tank 1 - 17.5mpg
Tank 2 - 17.2mpg
Tank 3 - 16.6mpg
Tank 4 - 18.2mpg
Tank 5 - 19.0mpg
Tank 6 - 19.9mpg
Tank 7 - 19.6mpg
Tank 8 - 19.4mpg
Tank 9 - 19.2mpg
Tank 10 -19.7mpg
Tank 11 -17.4mpg
Tank 12 -21.0mpg
Tank 13 -21.7mpg

I have been keeping record of all gas consumption since I bought. I have definitely noticed an improvement in the fuel economy. It seems to be getting better the more I drive it. Tank 11 I think is an anomaly as it was in the garage for 2 days and I suspect they let it idle for a very long time while they worked on the bumper, hence the reason the gas mileage on that particular tank is bad, when it was getting much better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My EX-L only has 1300 miles on it but I'm lucky to get 16 in the city. We took a road trip last week and got 26 on the hwy. Really hoping it improves but haven't seen any improvement from when we first bought it.

·
Banned
727 Posts
About 19.8 mpg average (60% city, 40% hwy, posted speeds). EPA says 21 combined. Based on my experience, I'd say the 2011 Odyssey is short of it's rating. It is worse in the winter as the ECO mode won't function until the engine/transmission warm up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mostly local driving over the last couple months so we're averaging 14-17 mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info, this is one i'm considering, also looking at Toyota and Nissan's I'll let you guys know what I decide on. Have a few more things to check before I start to negotiate for real.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new to this forum having recently bought an '08 EX with 49K. This van came with the Dealer Certification Program and it was very well maintained.

I like my new car but wish the gas mileage was better. I live in a hilly region (Pacific Northwest) and typically get 16-18 around the city and 21 on the highway but imagine on a long all highway trip my mileage would register higher. I see from reading others accounts on the forum that I am right in there with fuel economy for an Odyssey.

That said, a friend looking to improve her mileage on a different vehicle told me that some Union 76 stations pump Ethynol-free gasoline providing higher fuel economy. Has anyone here tried this gasoline and with success?

Odylerious

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Initally I found the gas mileage bad with the odyssey. Here are my gas mileage numbers.

Tank 1 - 17.5mpg
Tank 2 - 17.2mpg
Tank 3 - 16.6mpg
Tank 4 - 18.2mpg
Tank 5 - 19.0mpg
Tank 6 - 19.9mpg
Tank 7 - 19.6mpg
Tank 8 - 19.4mpg
Tank 9 - 19.2mpg
Tank 10 -19.7mpg
Tank 11 -17.4mpg
Tank 12 -21.0mpg
Tank 13 -21.7mpg

I have been keeping record of all gas consumption since I bought. I have definitely noticed an improvement in the fuel economy. It seems to be getting better the more I drive it. Tank 11 I think is an anomaly as it was in the garage for 2 days and I suspect they let it idle for a very long time while they worked on the bumper, hence the reason the gas mileage on that particular tank is bad, when it was getting much better."

Maybe you are getting better at driving it ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
What type gas mileage are you getting with your Honda Oddessy? Dealer said it gets 18 in the city and 27 on the highway, but I've alway found those things over stated.

Can you share what mileage you're getting?

Thanks

Diane
We get from 27-29 on highway trips and about 17.5-19 on city. Avg per tank about 22 MPG given that we spend a lot driving on city and it is a hilly place.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've had my Touring 6spd for one week and 1,500 miles when I looked today

Here's a two hour run from Hampton IA to Mpls, MN........... I cruise at 75 mph

Here's a history reading for Monday thru Friday, starting in Springfield MO thru St. Louis for two days and into Iowa. The top milage was taken shortly after the photo above. And remember that 24 mpg average consisted of on and off throttle "break-in" miles and many 3/4 throttle blasts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
city (quick trip): 14-15
mostly city: 16-18

highway: as high as 29-30.

you can searched some earlier post: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/149864-mpg-observation.html

:=)
This is very close to what I am getting after 3200 miles, and to the numbers as reported by Consumer Reports. In "city driving," we are talking about stop-and-go driving averaging 30-35 MPH type of things. Thus while the Odyssey is very economical on the highway, the gas mileage goes down quickly in the city.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That said, a friend looking to improve her mileage on a different vehicle told me that some Union 76 stations pump Ethynol-free gasoline providing higher fuel economy. Has anyone here tried this gasoline and with success?
Adding ethanol will decrease gas mileage, which is known. In Houston, ethanol-free gas has essential all disappeared and this may be happening to many parts of the county. Thus I have no choice but to use ethanol+ gasoline. The 4th gen Odyssey has VCM, which helps improving highway gas mileage, although it does very little to improve gas mileage in the city.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks all, for the input and response. I tend to forget that the difference between city and highway is very dramatic. My last car had a guage that showed my acceleration in terms of MPG as I was driving. This car had standard transmission and it was useful to watch that especially in city driving.

Odylerious

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mine is in the 19 to 22 range for mixed city driving. I actually got 31.5MPG coming back from San Antonio the other day (about a 90 mile trip). I call that outstanding.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts