Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just bought 1999 honda odyssey, about after a month i have noticed that my gas mileage is really really bad i have only been getting 5 kilometers to a liter city driving is there something wrong, my mechanic said that my odyssey has a new transsmission.

is there something wrong, i was really hoping on getting somewhat atleast 9 kilometers to a liter

i try to baby it alot not stepping on the gas that hard no sudden acceleration but still best i can do is 5.6 kilometers to liter. should i change my spark plugs, get an oil change/filter change!

·
Registered
61 Posts
5 km/L is particularly bad fuel consumption for spring/summer. In a 2nd gen Ody you should get around 16 mpg U.S. gallon in the city - that's about 19 mpg for an Imperial gallon (used in Canada), or 6.8 km/L. Freeway mileage is about 25 mpg U.S. or 30 mpg Imperial, about 10.5 km/L. [Hopefully I got the calculations right.]

Without any specific symptoms to point to this can be very difficult to diagnose. Start with the cheapest fixes and work your way toward more expensive ones.

Does your driving involve climbing a lot of hills or is it mostly 'flat'?

Check that all tire pressures are equal and about 35 PSI. The first thing to try of course is a complete tune-up. New spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter. Check all fluid levels.

Next there could be mechanical problems. Outside the engine, there could be a blockage in the exhaust, or problem with the mass air flow sensor, or dragging brakes, for example. Inside the engine, some cylinders might have low compression due to worn piston rings or cylinder walls, or the fuel injectors might be dirty. You can check cylinder compression yourself if you are mechanically inclined, or take it to a shop. Did you have the van inspected before buying it?

Is the check engine light (CEL) on? Make sure that when the key is put to on (without starting the engine), the light actually works.

After a tune-up and checking the tire pressures, fill the tank and take a level (no big hills), constant (no stops) freeway drive at about 90 km/h for a couple hours, no A/C (and with windows closed to reduce drag), then fill the tank and check your fuel consumption. That might tell you that it's your type of city driving that is the issue.

Come winter (especially in Winnipeg) you can expect the mileage to get even worse, so try to deal with this before fall.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup will try out the things you said, but one thing i noticed, back then my tires were inflated 32psi all around, during my last 2 fill ups, i tried 40psi all around and it made alot of difference i am probably hitting 7 to 8 kilometers to a liter.

on my next day off i will check my spark plugs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts