Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2003 ody ex-l a few days ago. The gas gauge only seems to work when it wants to. I figured I would replace the sending unit in the tank, but can't seem to locate where to buy it, i.e. autzone, oreilly nor advanced had it online. Does anyone know where I get one? I'm sure the dealer can get me one, but I will save that as a last resort.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Have you tested the sending unit? It could well be the problem, but if it isn't, replacing it will waste your time and money. Other possibilities are a defective guage or a loose connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it true that you can get to it through a panel in the floor? If so aprox where is this panel so that I can test the sending unit?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Remove the rear seats and carpet. The access is under it. Seems to me there was a recall to check the pump connectors for corrosion.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
After you have access to the connector, check the gauge by connecting a 2 ohm resistor between terminals 1 and 2 on the wire side of the connector. The gauge should move to F with the ignition on..

To check the sending unit, the resistance between terminals 1 and 2 on the pump terminals should be 11 to 13 ohms with a full tank of gas. Of course, it varies with the amount of fuel in the tank, but if the gauge isn't working, the only level you know for sure is full.

Terminals 1 and 2 are on the top row of 3 terminals, with the third being unused.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone else have a similar fuel problem as above? My gas light was on after only 275 miles, but took less than 15 gallons to fill. :huh: Combo city and freeway. Recently bought so I'll monitor gauge closely. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Both my 2002 and 2003 illuminate the low fuel light usually with around 5-1/2 gallons remaining...which is like your Odyssey, dragon. My 2001 illuminated the low fuel light with about 5 gallons remaining.

OF

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, OF! Wife just filled her up and only took 16.85 gal to fill and light has been on for awhile, which would be inline with your 5 gal lights. Odd of Honda to do that. Our newer car has a counter and I've been down to almost zero miles left on occasion. Not ideal, but good to know when Ina pickle.

Both my 2002 and 2003 illuminate the low fuel light usually with around 5-1/2 gallons remaining...which is like your Odyssey, dragon. My 2001 illuminated the low fuel light with about 5 gallons remaining.

OF

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
See the attached TSB for 1999-2001 Odysseys regarding a faulty fuel sending unit...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The TSB just lists the 1999-2001 Odysseys probably because they had a higher than normal failure of this particular part. Other model years may have different parts but if it was to fail, the procedure would be very similar to the TSB posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts