Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas appears to be heading up to $5/gallon. My Odyssey has approx 110K miles on it. Besides changing spark plugs and and slightly over inflating tires what other things would you recommend? On an even old Accord I replaced the distributor, rotor, and plug wires.

On a recent road trip I averaged 23 MPG on the interstate which doesn't seem very good (and plugs already replaced with NKG)

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know what year your Ody is, but the only thing I could recommend based on what you have already discussed is to use the cruise feature whenever possible. If you have the VSM feature than this becomes even more important as the cruise option helps to keep the van running on the reduced cylinders much better than you can do manually. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Besides changing spark plugs and and slightly over inflating tires what other things would you recommend? Thank you!
Buy a used Fit and drive it around most of the time! LOL! Seriously that is what my wife did a few years ago when she first had a minivan (04 Nissan Quest). She complained about the gas mileage sucking (what do you expect with such a big vehicle?!?!) She then bought a used 1st Gen Honda Insight off of e-Bay Motors. Ran well up until a couple of weeks ago when she totaled it in a MVC on a local freeway. Was trying to avoid another vehicle that went into her lane and it went into an uncontrollable fishtail and she ended up hitting the median wall. Design flaw IMO. Lots of them on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Gen Insights. IMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know what year your Ody is, but the only thing I could recommend based on what you have already discussed is to use the cruise feature whenever possible. If you have the VSM feature than this becomes even more important as the cruise option helps to keep the van running on the reduced cylinders much better than you can do manually. Hope this helps.
I've found the opposite. If you keep the instantaneous MPG on your MID you can compare how much it drops out of VCM on cruise compared to controlling it with a steady foot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
An injector cleaning solution will help after the 100k mileage. You can have it professionally done with an injector Flushing machine, I prefer and use the BG Products unit , but even aditives to the fuel can help somewhat.

this is a link that reports results. Thier 44K is a great product

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gas at $4 a gallon over 15,000 miles at 20 MPG = $3,000
Gas at $5 a gallon over 15,000 miles at 20 MPG (No change) = $3,750
Gas at $5 a gallon over 15,000 miles at 22 MPG (With repairs or change) = $3,409

$341 difference

$0.93 a day

But to get there... via injector cleaners, or replacing distributors, plugs, and/or wires... How much effort, time, and money are you willing to invest to marginally improve your mileage, and how worried are you about a few hundred dollars a year? To me, $350 is not even a rounding error, so I don't care (your budget may vary). Besides, when I'm not carrying a bunch of people, I drive the Insight (65 MPG) so I care even less about the price of fuel.

When they start raising the price of Single Malts, then I'll get excited...

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I think the cost of gas is an emotional issue for many people. I have friends who will drive across town to fill up where the price is lower by 3 cents/liter (12 cents/gallon). Makes them feel good, so I say: more power to them!

·
Registered
58 Posts
We use this as a family vehicle. we broke down after our 2nd kid and the cars not fitting.
still its used as my wife vehicle in winter except when i am home,we have a 07 camry I4 that does the lifting.Once it hits 40s i take the motorcycle every day to work for everything. When i was a kid in india we would use smaller car or motorcyles and vans only when the whole family travels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
BG does make some good products, but man that stuff is expensive.

I have found the Lucas tune up in a bottle stuff to do a decent job if you use it regularly twice a year.

Amazon.com: Lucas 10020 Upper Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner 5.25 oz.: Automotive

If you want something a little more potent, the CRC guarenteed to pass emissions product can clean up more serious issues (or neglect) All this is is a super fuel system cleaner, it has no magic for emissions other than CLEAN

Amazon.com: CRC 05063 Guaranteed To Pass Emissions Test Formula - 12 Fl Oz.: Automotive

cleaning the fuel system MIGHT help your issue, I would NOT spend $100-$120 on it though.

As said above, best to change your driving habits, accelerate modestly and more importantly do not have any up/down action on the gas pedal. The more steady you can keep it in all conditions the better.

I can easily beat the cruise control on the highway because I can keep a steady foot for hours. I also slow up a little going uphill which the cruise just cannot do (and that is a huge savings in this beast of a van)

The other thing to think about, the brake pedal wastes the most gas :) You are turning forward motion that you already paid for in fuel to heat on your brake rotors/pads. The more you can predict stops and coast into them, the better off you are.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If your Odyssey is kept like my wife's, there's about 300 lbs of extra garbage in there. Don't know why she has so much garbage and junk. Anyway, get any extra crap out and lighten it up. Remove the middle seat if you have one and are not using it.

As far as cruise control, you can do better without it. It's been proven many times. Even Honda knows this which is why the hi-mileage Civic VX did not offer it. It's only offered as a convenience feature.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
***snip
As far as cruise control, you can do better without it. It's been proven many times. Even Honda knows this which is why the hi-mileage Civic VX did not offer it. It's only offered as a convenience feature.
Partly true. CC gives better economy when driving on flat land just by keeping a constant speed. However, a good driver can do much better than CC in hilly country by running at the hills like a trucker and using momentum to help get over them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steady speed is the answer. Just drove 700 miles at 72 mph and got 26.5. Have 110 k miles.... Wind was not a factor and some hills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your speed has a lot to do with it too. You'll find you do much better at a steady 60mph than at 70. Go the speed limit and no more. Just stay in the right lane while I blow past you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Nissan Leaf as my second car - you really notice what eats at fuel economy when you only have a 100 mile range and an 80 mile commute every day! That 100 mile range is at 45 miles an hour - speed kills the range! At 63mph on the highway I have about an 80 mile range. Slow down! Unless you are on a long road trip it'll only be a few minutes longer at 55 that at 65. Slow acceleration from a stop helps, but not stopping in the first place is best. Watch the traffic and lights far ahead of you and time it so that you can coast up to the stop without braking, accelerating (slowly) once traffic is moving again. Keep tires inflated, and engine maintained.
More hints here: Fuel economy-maximizing behaviors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or do a search for hypermiling.
Someone got 136mpg in a Prius hypermiling!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
This is nothing new but this is what I do:

- Tires at 35 psi. Under-inflated tires = bad fuel mileage
- Remove junks from the trunk.
- Make sure car is healthy: good sp plugs, engine runs normal, car aligned properly etc.
- Long trips are better than short trips. A cold engine consumes more fuel.
- Lump all short trips together: grocery, shopping etc.

On hwy at 65 mph, I get 24 mpg, flat road, no wind, tires at 35 psi, 2 adults and 4 kids, standard luggage.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a 2001 and was just looking back at a trip we took to FL back in 2009 - 3200 miles round trip and the van had about 145K on it at that point (has 205K on it now). Down and back, family of 5 and luggage we got 26 mpg average max of 28 on one tank. That is mostly driving at about 74 mph. Nothing special done to the van other than keeping it up. I do keep the tires around 38-40 psi and this was on Cooper CS4 tires.

We don't drive the van as much on these type of long hiway trips now (drive a Sprinter for that) and mileage that I track was mostly around 20 mpg, so I was a bit worried that things had deteriorated. Did some hiway driving a couple of tanks ago and then filled up - 25 mpg, so I guess that it is still running OK. I do run a injector cleaner about every 25K miles or so and run synthetic 5W20, tire inflated per above and I keep the car very clean - minimal extra weight and we have one of the second row seats permanently removed (really like that for seating and flow). So, make sure that there is nothing "wrong" and watch your driving habits. I always run in cruise control if the van will maintain top gear. If it has to hunt or downshift, then I operate w/o cruise.

If you take care of the van, it can really work well. 11 years in, planning on 15 total and wishing for 20!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts