Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01' EX gas sensor light goes on at approximately 15 gals down. I drove it with the light on to about 350 miles. Has anyone push the limit and see how far you can go with one gas tank. It is correct for the sensor to go on at about 15 gals down? Should it goes on at about 17 or 18 gals down? Please advise. Robert....

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah we have the same prblem on our 01 ex. the gas warning lite comes on with just about 15 and a half gallons down. and no i never pushed it to the edge to see how many miles i could get on one tank

------------------
*~ BaSsNeT42 ~*
*~ 01'OdY. ~*
*~ Tw-Ex ~*

·
Registered
71 Posts
There have been a number of posts related to this topic... something about the fuel tank being very flat, the sensor or sensor location therefore alerts early for low fuel... I even had a salesperson say it was a "design feature" to minimize potential trouble with the fuel pump based on running the tank close to empty!

Anyway, if you're adventurous, you could do the following... Fill the tank. Run it till the gas light first comes on (not around a corner or on a grade, but comes on level ground steady.) Refill the tank and observe how many gallons that was. Now run the tank to empty (make sure you have a full gas can with you!) and then refill... you should be able to get close to 20 gallons into what should be a 20 gallon tank! Anyway, I don't really advise doing that, but if you want to make sure it holds 20 gallons, go for it.

Then you'll know from the first time the light comes on how much gas you really have left...

I had a DGC that had the same problem, they replaced the sensor... I think they actually had a technical bulletin on it... wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a technical bulletin about it at the Honda dealerships too... in fact, I think I read a post somewhere that that was the case, can anyone verify?

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
...they replaced the sensor... I think they actually had a technical bulletin on it... wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a technical bulletin about it at the Honda dealerships too... in fact, I think I read a post somewhere that that was the case, can anyone verify?</font>
They replaced your sensor. Does the new sensor fix the problem - is the fuel gauge accurate now??

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I guess I confused things with my last post... what I meant was, I previously owned a Dodge Grand Caravan that had a similar problem with early warnings of empty fuel tank, they replaced the sensor, and it did work somewhat better afterward. Dodge had a tech bulletin on it and I think the Ody's have a similar problem, though partly based on the design of the fuel tank. It seems the fuel tank design may be responsible for a large number of complaints about the Ody (fuel sloshing sound and too-early warning of empty tank)... anyone know if they are changing the design in the 02 ODY? Also, does anyone know if there has been a bulletin? Someone referred to it previously but it might have been on the yahoo board, don't remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts