Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have only gone through one tank of gas, and have not noticed any sloshing, however maybe I don't know what I am listening for. I will listen for it more closely.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh, yeah!

I really notice it when backing up from a parked position.

I notice it less when the radio is turned up real loud.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have owned four Hondas and all of them, including my 2001 Odyssey, have had a sloshing sound when the tank was near full. Below about 7/8+ of a tank it always goes away. I figure it is the sound of the near-full tank "slapping" against the top of the tank when I brake or accelerate.

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took delivery of my 2002 Starlight Silver EX-L on 10/11/2001, and it now has about 2,100 miles. It has taken me this long to get rid of the squeaks in both sliding doors.

FUEL TANK SLOSH SOUND - The next most annoying sound is the fuel tank slosh. I find the noise to be the worst when the fuel level is between 5/8 to Full. It doesn't sound like there is a fix for this though, but I wanted to alert everyone that I've got it.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
273 Posts
We either have members with very good ears or we have an almost perfect van. If gas tank slosh is all we can complain about we are in great shape.
A pick up truck with gas tank nearly under the seat really makes the slosh noise.

·
Registered
273 Posts
We either have members with very good ears or we have an almost perfect van. If gas tank slosh is all we can complain about we are in great shape.
A pick up truck with gas tank nearly under the seat really makes the slosh noise.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I find the full gas tank noise to be distracting. Someone posted in another thread that it sounds like a watermelon is rolling around the back, and that is an apt description.

The first time I heard it, I stopped the van, thinking either I had run into something or something had come loose in the back.

Fortunately, it happens only for a short time, until the tank is no longer full. It still catches my attention, though, after two months.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
7 Posts
the '02 ody is my 3rd honda and the first that i've heard the "slushing", although my first 2 were smaller vehicles (91Accord and 99Civic)

deo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm. I drove my incredibly new (last night) RRP Ody home last night and noticed what we thought sounded like a soccer ball rolling around the back-- more a thud than a slosh. It occured while backing up. A friend said her 96 Caravan does it when the tank is full. Do you all think that could be what it is? Didn't notice it as the evening (and miles) wore on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm with wantanody........
I hear more of a thud in the rear of the van. I don't believe it to be fuel sloshing around, the tank is plastic and the sound is more of a small clunk. Have not had time to send it up on a lift yet, tomorrow evening maybe.
John

·
Registered
27 Posts
John (2002EXL),

Please share your findings with us.

I agree, the "sloshing of the gas" (pretty certain that this is the cause) in the fuel tank does make more of a low pitched "thud" on my 2002 EX-L. The analogy of having a watermelon rolling around in the Magic Seat cavity is also a good description.

As has been mentioned by others, I especially notice the "thud" when backing out of my garage and stopping suddenly on my sloped driveway.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was hoping the gas noise problem would be gone on the 02.
That's the only gripe my wife has on our 00 with 32k miles.

Thanks for info.
Eddy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts