Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey Touring
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a 2015 Touring with 110,000 km, that looks in very good condition. Dealer has it priced ... competitive to a 2014 Touring.

When I first viewed the van the oil on the dipstick looked black, very thick but didn’t smell burnt or of gas. I thought there was sludge build up but it must be that they use synth oil which. I am told, doesn’t get changed as often as Dino.

A week later and the dealer changed the oil and it looks cleanish, doesn’t feel gritty but smells of gas. The tail pipe wipe was cleanish with only slight black found on my finger, which wiped off with a rag.

After the 15 minute test drive, drives fine, the gas smell was pronounced around the engine.

I am maybe concerned the van wasn’t serviced as records are not found.

I am thinking to change the spark plugs and do a compression test before buying to ensure no piston ring damage in addition to a full pre purchase inspection from a competing dealer.

Could be stuck injector, could be short trips, could be ... I should walk away, lol.

Any advice is appreciated, never seen this problem. What will the condition of the spark plugs tell me?

Ken

·
Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey EX
5 Posts
If the suspicion is that the engine oil and gasoline are mixing, then the engine should be throwing out white smoke. Is that happening? If not, maybe it just needs an oil change.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,905 Posts
The condition of the spark plugs will probably tell you the condition of the piston rings and whether it's been burning oil or not. If the spark plugs are worn prematurely and oily, that's a sign that VCM has damaged the piston rings.

If it were me, I would probably walk if you saw the oil was black and there are no service records.

Reactions: robertwards

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey Touring
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The condition of the spark plugs will probably tell you the condition of the piston rings and whether it's been burning oil or not. If the spark plugs are worn prematurely and oily, that's a sign that VCM has damaged the piston rings.

If it were me, I would probably walk if you saw the oil was black and there are no service records.
Compression test today to check that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts