Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Honda Touring with 206,000 miles. I noticed gasoline in the oil when checking the levels this weekend. I have read the threads about gasoline in the oil and know I need to get it looked at. I kept the vehicle parked all weekend but want to get it to my mechanic on Monday morning (tomorrow).
2 questions:
1) Can I drive it to the mechanic or do I need to get it towed? Its about 2 miles away. I have no idea how long the gasoline has been in the oil. Probably been ~1000 miles and 2 months since last oil change.
2) Should I expect anything that would not be worth fixing? Otherwise the van is in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How much does it get driven? Because some gas can get in there if the car isn't drivenuch and the engine doesn't warm up enough to evaporate it off. I had this happen with my Accord last year and it was from lots of short drives without the engine being at temp. When I would drive the 2 hours back home for a weekend and check, the oil looked good and how with my commute of ~80 miles each way, I haven't had this issue again.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much does it get driven? Because some gas can get in there if the car isn't drivenuch and the engine doesn't warm up enough to evaporate it off. I had this happen with my Accord last year and it was from lots of short drives without the engine being at temp. When I would drive the 2 hours back home for a weekend and check, the oil looked good and how with my commute of ~80 miles each way, I haven't had this issue again.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Interesting idea. Its Not driven much honestly. Mostly a kid carrier but with the teenager getting an accord this year he has done most of the driving of siblings. I am hoping the mechanic will be able to determine if it is that or if it’s leaking somewhere. I’ll give an update after talking with the mechanic. Thank you for responses!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Probably go ahead and get the oil changed as well.
Good idea. Gas is a poor engine lubricant.

Also, add a can of quality fuel injector cleaner next time you fill up. This can help avoid injector problems, such as leaking. I add a can every oil change. Filling up with Top Tier gas can also help. It contains extra cleaners.

Do let us know what the mechanic finds.

Reactions: msalley1

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good idea. Gas is a poor engine lubricant.

Also, add a can of quality fuel injector cleaner next time you fill up. This can help avoid injector problems, such as leaking. I add a can every oil change. Filling up with Top Tier gas can also help. It contains extra cleaners.

Do let us know what the mechanic finds.
I am curious. How does adding injector cleaner help leaky injectors?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I am curious. How does adding injector cleaner help leaky injectors?
A fuel injector closes fully when it's clean, so not releasing the fuel until it's needed. The fuel is under pressure, even when the engine is off, so the injector needs to make a tight seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess its a false alarm. Mechanic said he did not smell anything and oil looked ok. He did change it since it was close to being time anyway. I guess I will keep an eye on it. It has been cold and that car has been driven very little in the past few months so maybe it was that, or maybe I was off on the smell. He also changed the serpentine belt and fixed a squeek that was present after starting and at idle, and rotated tires, so it was not a total loss of a visit and I feel better knowing he checked it out. Thank you for the advice and thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts