Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these guys on ebay selling a rebuilt Ody transmission for $1095.
They modify the valve body and upgrade the clutch packs to eliminate the most common failure points from poor design. They also dyno and flow pressure test each transmission.

The catch was it had to be shipped to and installed by an ASE certified tech. Crap!
I called to talk to Joe the owner about letting me install it myself and he quoted me a price installed that was less than ONLY labor from Honda.

http://www.gatortransmissions.com/index.asp

Since they were only an hour drive away and I was about to take a two week long road trip with my kids I thought this was an awesome deal!

It was the best money I've ever spent on a car! The transmission shifts smoother than even brand new, it has better torgue to the wheels and is more responsive on the highway than the original ever was.
The thing that caught my attention the most was that they required me to bring it back after a week of driving for a break in checkup to make sure everything was fine and it was.

I've driven this AT for about 2000 miles now. Just as they told me it would--it got smoother after about 500 miles break in because they use better clutch packs and adjust everything to minimum tolerances. Driving in the mountains was a breeze and there is ZERO smell of burned ATF!

I would highly recommend that if your Ody needs a transmission you AVOID replacing it with a Honda remanufactured piece of crap and find a technician to install one from Gator.
For more than 35 years I've worked on cars and very rarely have I had someone else perform service for me because most places just plain suck.
I've never found a service company I thought was worth recommending until now!
Gator transmissions is hands down worth every penny.
Check them out for yourself!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
What was your installed price and what kind of warranty comes with the tranny?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed $1895.
2 year warranty parts and labor--unlimited mileage.

The quality of workmanship on this tranny is so good I'm not concerned about the warranty! If it was rebuilt by Honda I'd be waiting for it to fail again!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
That is an awesome deal. I will keep 'em in mind when my POS Honda rebuild bites the dust (if its outside the 3/36 warranty). Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I love this board! At 152k on the factory trans, mine is not likely long for this world. I've been meaning to start sniffing around for a quality shop.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Since Bartlett is only 50 minutes from Chicago, why not just drive there and get Gator themselves to install it?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did they install a cooler and filter to go with that transmission?

If not,

you'll be back..

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Keep us posted on how this unit works out. That pricing seems like a good deal. Replying to this post as a bookmark.... ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
BTW, I'm not trying to belittle your transmission shop of choice and the great deal you got on the rebuild. I can see how my wording would imply that.

Just a test you can do with your current transmission setup to show the details of what I'm talking about. Pull your transmission fluid dip stick look at the color of the fluid by wiping it on the left side of a white paper towel, and you might want to smell it to to get a feel for what it smells like. Then, Start from 0 and floor it all the way up to around 85-95mph. Then pull over and check the color and smell of your transmission fluid by wiping it on the right side of the same paper towel used above. If they magically fixed the issue with heat or installed a good transmission cooler you should see or smell no difference.

Otherwise the reccomendation is to get a transmission cooler, filter and good synthetic oil for longevity. Z1 likely would be the way to go for the first 2-3k anyways due to break in of parts needed.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Dane said:
STILL working? Mileage so far?

Thanks
Jeez. Its not even been a whole month since he got it. It better still be working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dropped off my 2002 with them for a rebuild last Friday. Mine was leaking oil from the left front axle even after replacing seal. I was told problem with the differential.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Replying to this so I can come back to it for future reference. As one close to Wheeling, IL, I will definitely keep these guys in mind if/when my '02 tranny gives in.

If anyone can report back with long-term results, it'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ordered a Gator Transmission for 99 Odyssey

I just ordered a transmission from them - getting it installed by a local installer with a good reputation.

I will post updates as to how it works out.

Also ordered a Heavy Duty transmission cooler. Anyone have suggestions as to which filter to use?

Thanks
Schmante

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Just ordered a Gator Transmission for 99 Odyssey

Schmante said:
I just ordered a transmission from them - getting it installed by a local installer with a good reputation.

I will post updates as to how it works out.

Also ordered a Heavy Duty transmission cooler. Anyone have suggestions as to which filter to use?

Thanks
Schmante
I usually reccomend ordering the B&M remote transmission filter just search "remote transmission filter" on ebay. Make sure you get a 3/8s one. Then I'd order the same filter number from Amsoil and change it out every 25k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Re: Just ordered a Gator Transmission for 99 Odyssey

gregersonke said:
I usually reccomend ordering the B&M remote transmission filter just search "remote transmission filter" on ebay. Make sure you get a 3/8s one. Then I'd order the same filter number from Amsoil and change it out every 25k.
I think the one I ordered from advanceautoparts yesterday is the same one:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Universal-Remote-Transmission-Filter-Kit-B-&-M_17130046-P_N3352_P|GRP2060____

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Transmission-Products_2/Remote-Transmission-Oil-Filter-Kit#

That and two bottles of fuel injector cleaner after a $16 off $40 coupon ended up being about $38 delivered ($9.06 for delivery - no local pickup on the filter).

Glad you confirmed the decision. I don't want to be dealing with this transmission problem before the van heads for the junk heap.

This one will be the 3rd in the van - first was covered under warranty at a Honda service shop - this one out of my pocket. Hopefully it's a good one and the cooler and filter keep me from having to do this again. Thinking about adding the same cooler and filter to an 03 Accord as well (which just had a new tranny put in at about 115k).

This is the cooler I'm using for the Odyssey:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_High-Performance-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Imperial_3670013-P_895_R|GRPCOOLAMS_555533945___
(also a good deal after a coupon w/ advance)

Schmante

PS It's Doctober here near Philly - Still amazed at the game from last night (2nd playoff no-hitter in MLB history). I can't even imagine if they kept Cliff Lee too (oh well - Roy Oswalt's no slouch).
Sorry for getting off topic - but its just too exciting right now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been 5 months since Gator installed my tranny. I had installed a cooler myself before the original one died.
My ATF is NOT burned and I've hauled heavy loads of landscaping blocks and really made this thing work. In fact, I can peel the tires from a standing stop on dry pavement with no trouble at all and have done so a couple of times on accident just trying to dart across busy streets in the area.
The tranny has about 5k miles on it and it shifts silky smooth has has lots of torque and isn't showing any signs of premature wear or weakness of any kind.
Gator transmission is still top of the line in my book and I usually loathe taking my cars to anyone for service.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Thanks for the update. Please do keep posting periodic updates on your replacement tranny so that others who are on the fence can make an informed decision as to who to turn to for their replacement tranny.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts