Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Odyssey EX, 5AT. Very occassionally, only few times in a month, when it shifts from gear 2 to 3, it feels like in Neutral and the Gear 3 couldn't be engaged no matter how deep I paddel it. Is this so called slipping? I used to call this "not geared".

When this happens, the minivan gradually slow down as it is not geared; what I usually do is pull over with the shift lever keeps in D, then drive again, everything is fine.

If I keep paddling it, the engine will run over 3500 or 4000 rpm then CEL sets. The funny thing is that as soon as the CEL is set, it immediately gears to gear 3 and 4 and so on, no problem since then.

I pulled out the code, it is P0700 and says: improper gear ratio. I don't understand, because the gears are hardwares inside the transmission, it is not something that can be programmed.

If I reset the CEL, the slipping comes back; if I pay no attention, the slipping never happens.

Such gear 3 slipping happens when the minivan is warmed up (i.e. being driven for more than 10 minutes). No other gears is slipping.

I have bought the spin-on ATF filter, and the in-line screens for solenoid A & B. Is there a specific solenoid that controls shifting from gear 2 to 3 that I should inspect?

Much appreciate for advise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ATF changed 8 months ago by the dealer for 73.88; I am going to change the ATF this month, as well as the spin-on filter and the in-line screens for the A&B.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I am not sure about the P0700 code. I can't find it. It would help to narrow down the problem.

I would reivew the "Root Cause of Transmission Problems" thread and check the solenoids and pressure switches.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Maybe it's P07030? Here's a thread from Patwong:

P07030 Thread

Usually one gets P07030 from a slipping clutch pack. Explained to me by a Honda tech (back in 2004, when I moved to OK), because of the disparity between expected shaft speeds inside the tranny, the PCM can't tell what gear the tranny has selected (even if the PCM is giving correct commands for the proper solenoids to direct fluid pressure where it needs to go). If it is throwing this code with wavering RPM's while in gear, it may be a slipping clutch pack.

That's about all I can dig up on that one.

OF

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, that's slipping. What has happened is the PCM told the trans to disengage second gear(one solenoid) and engage third(different solenoid).

I believe the one you should be most interested in is solenoid C. I recall its on the upper front of the transmission, pointed toward the rear. I haven't removed mine yet, but have the same symptoms(less often).

Note that I think there's actually a pressure >sensor< for each of these solenoid outputs as well, so if the solenoid truly was stuck off, the PCM would probably tell you "your solenoid is bad" not "weird slipping is happening".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts