Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the Tranny on my 00 Ody. Everything is working great mechanically but I have this annoying issue with the gear indicator lights on the dash. They all work but they dont stay on when in gear. When I pull down the shifter all gears light up for an instant and once the lever is actually in the desired gear the light turns off. I have taken everything apart in search of some type of adjustment wheel but I have had no such luck. I have also searched the internet for days and it seems as if Im the only one in the world with this retarded issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does it look like?

I have searched The internet high and low trying to figure out what the range switch looks like on the tranny and it seems like nobody has ever posted a video or pic or diagram ever of this particular trans. I found this odd because so many Odyssey's have tranny problems... Do u happen to know what it looks like or where on the tranny it is located?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The range switch is on the bottom front of the transmission and is covered with a roubded triangular cover. To install you need to set the range switch to N and the control shaft to N, then carefully place the switch on the control shaft and tighten the bolts. Make sure you don't move the range switch when tightening the bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou!

So for those of you who may encounter the same problem, the fix is simple.

-For the job, you will need a 10mm socket wrench, brick or a 2x4 block of wood, a jack and jackstand.

-Jack up the driver side front of the car high enough so that you may slide under. place a jack stand underneath the car in order to ensure saftey. Place a brick or a 2x4 slab of wood in front of the rear tires and secure the E brake.

-Turn the key (2) clicks to the position right before starting the ignition without actually starting the engine. Position your gear lever (2) clicks down from park into Neutral position. Get underneath the driver side and locate the Position switch cover.

-Remove the (2) bolts that hold the Position switch cover on the transmission. Remove cover and store bolts in a cup. Simply loosen the (2) 10mm bolts that hold the Position switch just enough so that the switch may move back and forth on its pivot.

-Adjust as neccessary, hand tight, and check the Gear indicator on the dash to ensure that your "N" is lit. repeat as needed until your N is lit. Car should start in the "N" or "P" positions.

-Reassemble and your done.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd like to reiterate what Rafy125 has done here. My 99 had a CEL with the P0705-6 codes (same as P1705-6). Pointing to the transmission range switch. Did my research/diagnosis and found that my symptoms was not as the FSM stated for a bad switch so I thought that it may just be out of synch. Some gear position light disappears. Namely R N D. After shifting into it.

First I just erased the codes and see if it will pop right back. CEL came right back after 24 miles.

So this time I did the adjustment with many many attempts. I finally got it close enough that All gears light up each position from P R N D D3 2 1 and going back up the other way.

Going from P down to 1 was seamless. However I occasionally get the D N R to not light up right away when shifting back up from 1 to P. It sometimes (but not always) need some wiggling from the stick shifter to get it to light up.

Getting a bit frustrated that I can't make it seamless like when shifting down, I tighten the adjustment bolt and closed it all up and crossed my fingers. Erased the code and drove the car. So far after 110 miles still no CEL. I may just have fixed it for a while.

So to anyone that might have the same issue. Don't buy a replacement part right away, adjust it first. Thats if your symptoms is the disappearing gear position light after shifting into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts