1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
A/T gear position indicator does not indicate shift lever positions
Transmission range switch defective or out of adjustment
Shift cable broken or out of adjustment
Joint in shift cable and transmission or body worn

Check the D indicator, and check for loose connectors. Inspect the transmission range switch. If the transmission range switch is
faulty, replace it. If the transmission range switch is out of adjustment, adjust it and the shift cable.
Check for a loose shift cable at the shift lever
and the transmission control shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance you can email me the pdf manual on your recommended solution. I was looking at this this comment from another sites

shift lever stuck
in Park and the P in the shift indicator not lit?
Refer to page 138 of the ’99–03 Odyssey ETM

my 2003 honda odyssey will not let me shift out of park - JustAnswer

You could just have a bad brake light switch or a bad shift interlock solenoid. Verify connector "E" on the driver fuse box has a good connection at pin "E17" the Blue/Black wire that is the park input from the transmission range switch. The connector is located on the front side of the fuse box and is a 20-cavity connector. If the connection is good, then locate the transmission range switch and check the connector there and verify the Black wire to ground G101 on the thermostat housing is good. If the wire harness/connections are all good, start by replacing the transmission range switch.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I don't have the Electrical Manual referenced above but these might help...

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
loosen the bolts on the range switch on the trans. i remember mine had that after i did the trans and after repositioning it the lights worked. the range switch slides side to side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where is the transmission range switch located at on the transmission? I have looked at the .pdf and in my engine bay, however I am having no luck.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
It's under the van on the left side of the transmission case behind a cone-shaped cover that's held on by two bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Odyssey 2000 EX... have similar problem, hope someone can shed light..... symptoms - gear shift works fine, all gears.... transmission shift switch is also OK ( I physically removed, cleaned and tested it - contacts 1, 3 and 10 have continuity when switch is in Park position - then adjusted it on re-install to make sure N position is perfectly matched... ) - R, N, D4, D3, 2 and 1 all light up - only P doesn't light up. I have to use the interlock bypass to get out of park....the interlock solenoid is also OK....because when transmission shift cable is physically detached and re-attached at transmission and at shifter, P will light up and interlock solenoid works fine....for about half an hour, then P won't light up and interlock will not disengage...

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Dad New Van, thanks for quick response - Brake Pedal Position Switch seems fine, brake lights light up as soon as brake pedal is depressed. This was in fact the first thing I checked because it seems to be a common problem...

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
The P light is unique among gear indicator lights in that the driver's multiplex control unit controls it (along with the transmission range switch). That same unit also controls the shift lock solenoid. Maybe the driver's side multiplex control unit is flaky or the connector is dirty?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Your brake pedal switch has two sets of contacts. One set is devoted soley to the brake light circuit. The other services items that depend on sensing brake pedal position. My brake lights worked fine on one of our Odys, but I couldn't get it out of Park because of those second contacts.

OF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a question in regard to the gear range switch. I did the continuity check as suggested in the pdf's posted by New Dad NewVan. The ohms check all read about .2 ohms, except the neutral position which read 1.05 ohms. Normally I would call it good but since I am having a problem (shift lever in Park but the D light on) I wonder if that reading is out of range ( 1 ohm vs. 0.2 ohms). Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Do you mean both P and D lights are on with the gearshift in P?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts