Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 odyssey has gear slipping and a check engine light on. It happened last night on the road. I turned off the engine for a while and turned it back on and it fixed the problem for a while and I managed to drive it home. This morning, it happened again. I read somewhere that detaching a battery might solve the issue and it did. However, I am still puzzled about what actually is the problem. Does anyone have insight on this?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There should be a pending code registered for the check engine light. You can go to an auto parts store and have the code read for free. That code can help diagnose what the problem may be.
Detaching the battery just clears the code and does not help with figuring out what is the problem.

Reactions: mdali

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What’s the color of the oil? When was the tranny oil replaced? what is the DTC? (check engine light code)?
I replaced the oil last week and the gears are still slipping. I replaced the transmission filter and the slipping is gone, at least for now. The oil is dirty as hell. I will keep changing the oil until it clear.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes. For the flushing (the first 3 times), I am going to use Valvoline, then Honda for the final. Thank you
About 4 years ago, my 2010 EX had slippage in 2-3-4 gears. Also some clunky downshifting. After 4 drain/fills with Honda DW1 ATF, slippage actually got worse. Then I did 4 drain/fills again, with Valvoline Maxlife. Slippage was gone right away. Rough downshifting got a bit worse, but van was drivable.

About 6 months ago I couldn't find Maxlife locally, so I switched to Valvoline Multi-Vehicle. No slippage with that one either, but much smoother shifting, way better than it was with Maxlife. Some clunk still remained though.

Clunky downshifting was completely gone after battery replacement. Interestingly, ECU reset didn't help much, but new battery did. Van drives like new now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts