Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 01 MB LX at the end of July, I called GEICO to add the vehicle. They told me of their new bumper to bumper warranty that is good for 100,000 miles on any mechanical problems. It's only about $3.00 per month and they said it covers everything. It even has glass replacement with a $50 deductible. We opted for this plan instead of the Honda Care EW.

Has anyone else heard of this plan? Are other insurance companies doing this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I too purchased Geico's Mechanical Breakdown coverage for my 2000 Odyssey. I also had it for my 1996 Civic (never needed to use it). It seemed a lot cheaper to buy Geico's coverage instead Honda's. Hopefully I will never need it to determine how good it actually is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just called Geico and was quoted $27.50 for 6 months of Mechanical Breakdown coverage on a 2002 EX-L.

That works out to be approx. $385 for 7 years/100,000 miles.

Maybe it's the $250 deductible that allows them to offer it so cheap.

-- Todd

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tlutz:
That works out to be approx. $385 for 7 years/100,000 miles.</font>
Not quite true. I called them back and verified that the charge will go up slightly each year over the 7 years. The rep guessed it might be a total of $500-$600 over the 7 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This depends on the cost of the insurance. I called GEICO and they quoted me $5/mo, which is a great price! However, to insure costs $385/6 mo. This price may seem reasonable, but my current insurance, Bear River, does the Ody for $420/yr @ $500 deductible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
moonatics

GEICO does offer this. But remember if you leave them for another insurance company or if you get into some bad accidents not of your own doing...like 3ody4me

GEICO can drop you and you will have no warranty. My best friend is an attorney at GEICO (they outsource this group) and the company is based in NY...Long Island.

GEICO has a reputation for dropping people in states that would cause their rates to increase.

I was with GEICO for 10 years. No accidents and when a truck driver hit my car and admitted fault, 6 months later GEICO told me they weren't renewing me again. And my car of 5 years was off w/80K was off that warranty.............Bastards

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does the GEICO also provide towing, unlock service, flat tire changing, out-of-gas service, rental car and trip planning service like the Honda Care? (Which is not provided with the standard 3 yr warranty). Its sounded like the Honda Care would allow the owner to drop AAA, if presently used.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GEICO provides that with the basic insurance plan. I think I am paying a small amount for rental car, but everything else comes with regular comprehensive/collision insurance. I've used their emergency road service once before, and got prompt and thorough service.

Thanks to those who warned of possiblities of being dropped from GEICO if there is an accident. Perhaps I need to rethink if we need an extended warranty...then again, I have never actually been in a situation that the purchase of one actually was worth it. With such great reliability as Honda provides, is it really necessary?

·
Registered
23 Posts
C'mon fellas, you pay all this money through out the years and if something goes wrong then you have to pay an additional $250 deductible. I did the math and it don't add up. Go for the HCW you won't regret it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts