Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the ol' 00 is reaching 190k and we are thinking of a new(to us) van. Here is the deal we know its gonna be treated rough so we are not shopping brand new. I am guessing we will end up in about an 07. So tell me owners what do you love hate? What do you wish you had bought different? What kind of problems have you had that I might look out for while shopping? Thanks so much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
I have a 2007 EX-L bought new and there are some issues that I didn't like.

1. Power steering requires a lot of effor at low speeds; this was due to the reservoir design flaw. Dealer fixed it, but came out of my own pocket due to my procastination + being out of warranty for 2 months.

2. Trunk / tailgate channel had some minor rusts; I'm partly to blame for not properly cleaning those run channels. I already fixed it, good as new again. Just watch out for the two seams that joins in the trunk section. Make sure its cleaned periodically.

3. AC condenser is exposed to road debris at the lower grill area, need to do the gutter mode to protect it.

4. Leather seat, the vertical part of the seat facing the door has some hair line cracks. Make sure you always treat the leather if you do end up with an EX-L.

5. Since EX-L's have TPMS, if you switch to winter tires, TPMS light is on, which means you cannot turn ON/OFF VSA. If you need to power your way out of a slushy snow, it will be difficult. The remedy is to purchase a set of extra TPMS sensors which can be expensive, plus ECU needs to be reprogrammed everytime the tires are switched from all seasons to snow and vice versa.

6. Windows creaking when partially down. There is a TSB about it.

7. I can hear a creak by the sliding doors area when accelerating slowly from a dead stop. These are due to rubber contacts at the door, needs to be greased or the plastic strip is missing on the door pillar.

8. Some owners experiencing the lift gate struts blowing out. I have not experienced it yet. The make of my struts are from Stabilus.

9. Wind noise by the windscreen at 100 km/h.

10. No Aux jack (remedied by a PIE adapter)

Loves...

1. Love the space
2. Drives like a car
3. Good gas mileage on highway esp with VCM kicking in
4. Quiet interior
5. Great V6 engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
we have a 2009 ex-l and have a bunch of mile on it.

we should be finished with our factory warranty by the end of the year :(

i think the only thing that really bothers me is the cabin noise.

if it's just me and listening to music - no worries.

but if you're trying to have a conversation with someone behind you it can be difficult.

joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good stuff so far, gotta say with the cabin noise in mine I could probably roll the widows down on a newer model going 100 mph and it would be quieter. Whne did Honda start using the new trany 07?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
07 supposedly with the Ridgeline tranny.

dadswagon said:
good stuff so far, gotta say with the cabin noise in mine I could probably roll the widows down on a newer model going 100 mph and it would be quieter. Whne did Honda start using the new trany 07?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
For the most part, we love our van! Low speed power steering issue can be annoying (we've had the reservoir replaced, but not the pump..yet).
And another thing I was thinking of today, but I think is true with most Honda's, is the range of the remote key fob. On a hot day when you want to use the all-window down feature on the remote, and you're practically on top of the thing by the time you're close enough to activate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Yep, all good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
roadcarver said:
I have a 2007 EX-L bought new and there are some issues that I didn't like.

1. Power steering requires a lot of effor at low speeds; this was due to the reservoir design flaw. Dealer fixed it, but came out of my own pocket due to my procastination + being out of warranty for 2 months.

2. Trunk / tailgate channel had some minor rusts; I'm partly to blame for not properly cleaning those run channels. I already fixed it, good as new again. Just watch out for the two seams that joins in the trunk section. Make sure its cleaned periodically.

3. AC condenser is exposed to road debris at the lower grill area, need to do the gutter mode to protect it.

4. Leather seat, the vertical part of the seat facing the door has some hair line cracks. Make sure you always treat the leather if you do end up with an EX-L.

5. Since EX-L's have TPMS, if you switch to winter tires, TPMS light is on, which means you cannot turn ON/OFF VSA. If you need to power your way out of a slushy snow, it will be difficult. The remedy is to purchase a set of extra TPMS sensors which can be expensive, plus ECU needs to be reprogrammed everytime the tires are switched from all seasons to snow and vice versa.

6. Windows creaking when partially down. There is a TSB about it.

7. I can hear a creak by the sliding doors area when accelerating slowly from a dead stop. These are due to rubber contacts at the door, needs to be greased or the plastic strip is missing on the door pillar.

8. Some owners experiencing the lift gate struts blowing out. I have not experienced it yet. The make of my struts are from Stabilus.

9. Wind noise by the windscreen at 100 km/h.

10. No Aux jack (remedied by a PIE adapter)

Loves...

1. Love the space
2. Drives like a car
3. Good gas mileage on highway esp with VCM kicking in
4. Quiet interior
5. Great V6 engine

Had our 2010 since Feb and really love it. Great space! Have 3 bikes inside there right now plus suitcases, beach bags, etc on a family vacation. Took out the seats a couple weeks ago and hauled a full bunkbed setup in one trip. The thing eats cargo for breakfast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
New tranny was '05 with mild update in '07. Jury is out if one is better than the other but I think there's no doubt they're both better than previous gen. I seem to see more TC complaints on the '07+.

Navigation sucks.

TV/DVD is nice but controls are overly difficult. Wife just called me yesterday as she couldn't remember how to get video sound to play through the speakers. We've had this vehicle since 2005! We had a rental Dodge awhile back with triple screens that was more intuitive. Not sure why Honda likes to make things difficult.

Noise is also a big complaint for me but it doesn't sound like that scares you.

Snow traction sucks even with Blizzaks. Worse FWD vehicle I've owned for getting around in the winter.

Overall, it's a terrific driving vehicle with lots of space and convenience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
Pros:
engine has lots of power
very agile vehicle for a van
RES
lots of storage
plus one seating
gas mileage
middle row seating options
tons of cup holders
front end styling
instrument panel and panel mounted shifter
lots of room inside
fold down 3rd row seats easy to use
in floor storage

Cons
no mp3 plugin
no vent windows at the back
exposed ac condenser
no HID headlights
no AWD option
michelin tires wear out way too fast
too many rattles and squeaks
AC takes forever to cool interior
no compass (EXL-RES)
plastic used in interior scratches way too easy
problems with drivers/passenger window noise
transmisssion shudder
center fold up table is lame
leather seats not very comfortable
no option to select 4th gear
road noise excessive
every little rock you hit puts another dent in front bumper cover
roof rack crossbars not included with van
no fog lamps on EXL-RES
no auto-on headlights
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
roadcarver said:
4. Leather seat, the vertical part of the seat facing the door has some hair line cracks. Make sure you always treat the leather if you do end up with an EX-L.

I thought that our leather had a very vinyl-ly coating already on it, and that normal "leather treatments" wouldnt even soak in.....

what are people's experiences with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
Hogan773 said:
I thought that our leather had a very vinyl-ly coating already on it, and that normal "leather treatments" wouldnt even soak in.....

what are people's experiences with this?
It's def a utility grade leather...which is good IMHO. Ours has held up quite well. There are some marks but after almost six years I can't complain. We used the Honda leather treatment for several years then bought something at the store. Clean them with it a couple times a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I hate the power steering stiffness at low speeds. I can't believe Honda hasn't come up with a solution on the 2010's. It's behaving exactly the same way as my previous 2006 did. Maybe there waiting for the 2011 model to finally fix this fiasco?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
I had an '05 Touring for three and half years and am now contemplating a new '10 in advance of the fourth generation '11.

Pros -

- Great highway fuel economy;
- Although the seats do not feel particularly confortable, it's the only
vehicle I've ever had that after 8 hours behind the wheel I still felt
fresh;
- Folding tray table between front seats;
- The ride was very good with a full load (not so great empty, in
part due to the PAX tires); and
- Fine handling for a two and half ton van;

Cons -

- Too many TSBs and
- Too much cheap plastic in the interior, especially given the price
of a Touring.

IMHO, a late model Odyssey is a relatively poor value given its high resale price. A new one is a better bet in this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
If buying used gen3 EL-l or tour with ECM rear engine mount has been failing - at a cost of over $750 for stealer to replace.

Brake feel is mushy, folks can't seem to eliminate it which is odd but may have to do with ABS/SC

Rear shocks tend to blow seals and leak prematurely.

Others have covered my other concerns, except I used a GM with more driver info and trip computer.

I love all the storage, in fact I have lost things there are so many possible places to put stuff on trips.

The brakes seem to give some trouble and warp front rotors, but this sort of thing is not unusual for heavier vehicles. Pads have changed since old days and wear less, fade less but wear the rotors more. (I've always favored quality rotors, buy the most expensive ones at the parts store - ones like Wagner made in USA are great. China ones will wear out in 2 years or less!)

My PS makes noise and has less assist than used to, as noted.

The 16" wheels on my '06 are a bit small for today's standards, I'm upgrading to 18's myself :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, I am suprised at all of the issues that you all have noted, does this mean someone makes a better van for the money these days?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
dadswagon said:
wow, I am suprised at all of the issues that you all have noted, does this mean someone makes a better van for the money these days?
No, there's no better new van for the money. Value is a major factor for me and that's why I'm looking to buy another one.

Buying used is a different story where something with fast depreciation might represent a better value.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top