Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a 2008 EX-L with Nav & Res, we traded it in for a 2012 EX-L with Nav. after having the 2008 for 4 years and now driving the 2012 for about 3 months, these are my thoughts. I like the exterior styling of the 2008 but prefer the interior layout of the 2012. the 2012 has a nice removable center console with plenty of storage while the 2008 only had a fold down tray. 2012 has the coolbox which takes up alot of room in the lower center dash. I don't like this, how often do you really use that? i feel like that big space could be utilized better. no rear speakers in the 2012 unless you get the TE model? WTH, +1 for the 2008. no roof rack on the 2012(not sure if that comes standard on the T or TE model). another win for the 2008. our 2012 has the power tailgate whereas the 2008 didn't, a win for the 2012. that's more of a wife preference as she was almost too short to pull down the tailgate on the 2008. the 2008 had the lazy susan in the middle of the floor, the 2012 has the spare tire and jack in that location. initially i hated that because we stored emergency items in that spot, jumper cables, first aid kit, tool kit, etc. but it does eliminate the huge ugly hump in the left rear where the 2008 stored the spare tire. plus the cover of the spare tire in the 2012 is not easy to get off, but it isn't like you're getting in to that spot often. the relocation of the jack and spare tire in the 2012 does allow for a subwoofer and a couple storage cubbies in the rear, to me that's a win for the 2012. i feel like the radio in the 2012 sounds much better than the 2008 from a front seat perspective, back seat passengers may complain about lack of volume due to no speakers unless you're in the TE or you add them in yourself. both vans feel similar in driving style if you evaluate it from an age perspective. yes the 2012 drives much smoother than the 2008 did when we traded it in but the 2008 was getting worn out. when we first bought the '08, it drove very similar to the 2012. engine and tranny initially both feel very similar, however i did muzzle the 2012 right after we got it. i never muzzled the 2008 and it's much nicer to have the muzzler on the 2012. both trannys had the same annoying characteristics due to the VCM. 12V outlets, this was a major issue in the 2008. one in the front and one in the very back by the tailgate? come on Honda. this van has like 100 cupholders but only 2 12V outlets. the 2012 adds a second outlet in the front for a total of 3 but still nothing convenient for anyone in the second or 3rd row. seating layout is essentially the same in both models. both came with the removable jump seat in the center. both models allow the rearmost seats to fold into the rear storage area for more room, and the center row is 100% removable, however heavy and akward for some people. my wife could barely remove, carry and replace the 2nd row captains chairs by herself. the 2012 adds buttons in the second row for opening and closing the sliding doors. the 2012 does not have the second glove box, an annoyance to us personally. with 4 kids, we stashed a ton of stuff in the second one. all in all to me, its pretty much a wash. i feel like brand new, out of the box, the 2008 we had was better than the 2012 but the '08 was getting old and worn out. the nav and RES both had issues, the body had dings and little dents from parking lots, the suspension was worn, and frankly i was never a fan of having the same color interior and exterior (gray/gray on the '08 vs black/truffle on the 2012). so it was annoying to give up some features such as the speakers in the rear seats and the roof rails but its nice to get into something fresher that rides better.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts