Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone happen to know what the generic equivalent of Honda Type II coolant is? In other words, if I wanted/needed to buy coolant that's not Honda branded, what would it be?

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
RinconVTR said:
I've been using Prestone Extended life as long as I can remeber.
Ah. Nice to see you step out of the motorad thread. For a moment, I thought you only post in there and don't know about the rest of the oddyclub. :D :D :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
dvpatel said:
Ah. Nice to see you step out of the motorad thread. For a moment, I thought you only post in there and don't know about the rest of the oddyclub. :D :D :D
I have no idea why you would say such a thing. LOL! :)

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
RinconVTR said:
I've been using Prestone Extended life as long as I can remember...
Ditto on the Prestone. These guys have been producing glycols since forever. IMHO, I think their use of buffering solutions (weak organic acids) to give wonderfully long coolant life is as good as anybody else's. It's what's in my ancient Accord right now. Prestone for my car, and a bottle of Geritol for 0dyfamily.

OF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Search the MSDS sheets to see the contents of the coolant.

Honda Type 2:
1) Ethylene Glycol 47-53%
2) Diethylene Glycol <3%
3) Potassium Hydroxide <3%
4) Hydrated inorganic acid, organic acid salts <5%
5) Bittering agent >30mg/kg (Added so you don't eat it)

Prestone 50/50 prediluted engine coolant
1) Ethlene Glycol 45-55%
2) Diethylene Glycol 0-5%
3) 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 0-5%

Zerex Asian Vehicle Coolant 675130
1) Ethlene Glycol 40-50%
2) Diethylene Glycol 1.5-5%
3) Organic Salt 1.5-5%

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
"2-Ethylhexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 0-5%" is an exact name that would do the same job as the vaguely worded "Hydrated inorganic acid, organic acid salts <5%"

OF

·
Registered
153 Posts
Search the MSDS sheets to see the contents of the coolant.

Honda Type 2:
1) Ethylene Glycol 47-53%
2) Diethylene Glycol <3%
3) Potassium Hydroxide <3%
4) Hydrated inorganic acid, organic acid salts <5%
5) Bittering agent >30mg/kg (Added so you don't eat it)

Prestone 50/50 prediluted engine coolant
1) Ethlene Glycol 45-55%
2) Diethylene Glycol 0-5%
3) 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt 0-5%

Zerex Asian Vehicle Coolant 675130
1) Ethlene Glycol 40-50%
2) Diethylene Glycol 1.5-5%
3) Organic Salt 1.5-5%
So based on the above data, the Honda Type 2 has the potassium that neither Prestone nor Zerex has.
The Zerex is about $12 (after 20% off coupon) from Advance Autoparts, the Honda is $20 from the dealer.

Probably not worth the $8 saving granted I only need to drain the coolant every 100K miles.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
If it's approved for use in aluminum engines, you should be fine. I've used Prestone Extended Life coolant forever. I'm jumping on the bandwagon of people who do an annual drain/refill of the radiator to keep the additives package fresh (i.e., the added compounds that support water pump gland seal lubricity, pH maintenance, and keeping particulates suspended in solution, etc.).

It's just so easy to do with that little drain plug that can be opened and closed by hand at the bottom of the radiator.

OF

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's just so easy to do with that little drain plug that can be opened and closed by hand at the bottom of the radiator.

OF
Do you have to "burp" the engine block upon refill and start up, or are you just emptying the radiator? (and leaving the remaining coolant in the engine block).

I've always believed/relied on the 10 year life of Honda factory coolant, and never refreshed or drained/filled on our vehicles inside that window. If I can indeed drain some/most of the rad without having to burp the system I might be inclined to add this to my PM regimen.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Just emptying the radiator. Kind of like draining the ATF sump of 3.5 quarts, even though the whole transmission and lines hold a total of 8.3 quarts.

Don't have to burp it, at least I didn't have to the last four times I did this (two Accords, two Odysseys), since the block retains its load of coolant.

Cannot take credit for this...one of our other forum members does this annually, and he posted it on one of the other threads.

OF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Supertech antifreeze

Just bought some Supertech prediluted 50/50 antifreeze/coolant that states "all makes, all models, add to any color antifreeze.

Am I good to go? Is it this straight forward? My reservoir is below min and I'm on a road trip tomorrow. I do have antifreeze showing at the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I admit upfront that I am skeptical about universal coolants. What's the service life of Supertech? What's its chemical makeup?

Time is short to your departure. Add what you have to the reservoir to raise the level to between min and max. That's the priority right now.

The factory coolant needs changing after 10 years then every 5 years after that. (After your return), is it due for a coolant change? If you change it for Supertech, change it again according to their service schedule, not Honda's.

Dave

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What yr is your ODY?
Find out the cause for the 'missing' coolant when you get back.
Many times older vehicles start leaking at the top joint of the radiator (plastic tank, metal core area).
Old radiator hoses.
Failing radiator cap.
Have a fun trip.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let's see, you use 2 gal after 10 years and then 2 more after 5 years - 4 gals total for up to 20 years. How many $$ are you saving searching for generic?

·
Registered
191 Posts
if you've ever been an audi owner the you will know how to stick with factory coolant and how to mix one. Honda coolant is premixed I am so glad it is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts