Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Effective May 2, 2005

Revives the window tint statute which was recently found unconstitutional by the Georgia Supreme Court with some minor modifications.

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5635600_6640623_39939592,00.html
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/hb20.htm

My concern is: Can Ody be assumed as a "Multipurpose passenger vehicle"? Logicaly, it should, because it's not a regular passenger vehicle, it's a minivan. But if you read the statement literally, it is not obvious. The statement is: "(5) 'Multipurpose passenger vehicle' means a motor vehicle designed to carry ten persons or less which is constructed on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation."

What do you think?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like it's not covered.

I thought I read somewhere that even if factory tint does not meet the law, it's okay because there's nothing anyone can do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, KevinA.

Yes, you are right. In the exceptions there is a statement: "f. Windows tinted before factory delivery". But I wanted to tint my van by myself. It has no tint at all for the moment, and I'm in my car like a fish in a tank. The sun heat is awful too here in south.

Everything looks like I have to use a film with VLT not less then 35%. Mmm.. not much, but better then nothing...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have 35% rated "reflective tint" which doesn't look black, doesn't look chrome, but just looks like a shiny 35% but at certain angles it does provide privacy moreso than just regular 35% black does.

It has a funny look to it tho, i have it on a white car and it looks great, but on a dark car it would stand out and look cheap imo.

Compare it to the way that some Acura SUVs have the factory "mirror tint" look on the back end windows to know what i mean.

edit: this isn't my car, but the tint looks similar: http://www.hometown.aol.com/awdimprezars/images/carside.jpg

I feel like it does help keep some of that extra heat from the sun out. It is supposed to anyway.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
FormulaOne Pinnacle series ceramic tint has excellent heat rejection properties without looking too dark. That's what I have on my Ody (except that I went dark).

It's much better at keeping the heat out than regular tint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I happened to be researching this on line when i came across this post. In personal opinion, minivans are allowed to tint b/c they fit two exceptions. First, the multipurpose exception b/c the van is built on a modified Ridgeline chassis (or visa versa). Second, is that factory tint exception - it says that if the car has factory tints, the provision doesn't apply. So, b/c the car has privacy glass in the rear sets of windows, IMO, the statute doesn't apply.

In fact, IMO, any car that has factory tints means that the statute doesn't apply to it. Since most cars have some factory tint on it, I think this is a loophole that you can drive a mack through, as they say.

Of course, hire a lawyer if you want a professional's opinion.

Here's the relevant text:

(b) Except as provided in this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle in this state:
(1) Which has material and glazing applied or affixed to the front windshield, which material and glazing when so applied or affixed reduce light transmission through the windshield; or
(2) Which has material and glazing applied or affixed to the rear windshield or the side or door windows, which material and glazing when so applied or affixed reduce light transmission through the windshield or window to less than 32 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, or increase light reflectance to more than 20 percent.
(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply to:
(1) Adjustable sun visors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass;
(2) Signs, stickers, or other matter which is displayed in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or signs, stickers, or other matter which is displayed in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver;
(3) Direction, destination, or termination signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle if the signs do not interfere with the driverìs clear view of approaching traffic;
(4) Any transparent item which is not red or amber in color which is placed on the uppermost six inches of the windshield;
(5) Any federal, state, or local sticker or certificate which is required by law to be placed on any windshield or window;
(6) The rear windshield or the side or door windows, except those windows to the right and left of the driver of:
(A) A multipurpose passenger vehicle;
(B) A school bus, any other bus used for public transportation, and any bus or van owned or leased by any religious or any nonprofit organization duly incorporated under the laws of this state;
(C) Any limousine owned or leased by a public or private entity; or
(D) Any other vehicle, the windows or windshields of which have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation; or
(7) Any law enforcement vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts