Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2002 Odyssey in early Aug. and was told it would be Nov/Dec before it will come. My question is that I really want the redrock EX-L with the navigation system AND the DVD entertainment center. Is there any way to have both factory installed? If not, which would be better to get factory installed and have the other installed after market? The salesman doesn't seem to have a clue. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am new to this message board and I just read the prior thread about this topic. One other question- if I have to go with the iVes system, can they install 2 LCD flip down monitors? I have 4 kids and I know the ones in the back seat will complain about how they can't see the small screen. Also, does the iVes have wireless headsets? I know the DVD system comes with 2 sets and I assume you can buy extra ones if needed. Thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
NAV and RES on the same van would be great! Then, everyone in the vehicle would be distracted by something and not have a clue what is going on ahead on the road. As to having two screens in the van, why not just drop the kids off at the movie and pick them up when you return from the trip, Hee! Hee! Just could not resist yankin' your chain a little.......

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I am not mistaken I believe that this was mentioned before and the remedy was to get the Navi and have the RES installed aftermarket. I have seen the RES for sale at the Handa-Accessories website for, I think, $1395. Someone else could clarify this probably better than me but had to give my $.02. Good luck

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES on order. October delivery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kris:
I am new to this message board and I just read the prior thread about this topic. One other question- if I have to go with the iVes system, can they install 2 LCD flip down monitors? I have 4 kids and I know the ones in the back seat will complain about how they can't see the small screen. Also, does the iVes have wireless headsets? I know the DVD system comes with 2 sets and I assume you can buy extra ones if needed. Thanks!</font>
Hi Kris. We were faced with the same decision - NAV or RES. It is an either/or decision. We opted for the NAV. We have had aftermarket video systems (Audiovox) and to our minds that technology was simpler and offered lots of options. The navigation systems/technology seems more complex. Something I want under my Honda warranty! Also, aftermarket navigation systems are very expensive.
As for the two screens. I think they can do anything you want and are willing to pay for. I know they do dual screens in long vehicles, like suburbans. There are also screens that fit in headrests, but with 4 kids that probably is not the most cost efficient/practical solution.
Yes, the headsets are wireless. I'm sure you could buy additional headsets too. I know you can with the Audiovox system. Hope this helps. Welcome to the club.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000065.html

I'm going with NAV and having the dealer add the iVES due to price and the fact that the dealer installed iVES will be covered under 3 yr warranty (longer if you get Honda Care). Funny thing is, I going to need to order the iVES from HandA since the "service" department feels the need to make additional profit. They will install for $240, making my total price around $1,600. Will add a PS2 if I feel the need to have DVD.

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Man314:
Try this thread:

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000065.html

I'm going with NAV and having the dealer add the iVES due to price and the fact that the dealer installed iVES will be covered under 3 yr warranty (longer if you get Honda Care). Funny thing is, I going to need to order the iVES from HandA since the "service" department feels the need to make additional profit. They will install for $240, making my total price around $1,600. Will add a PS2 if I feel the need to have DVD.
</font>
Be careful on this. I don't think the I- VES will be covered by the Honda warranty if you don't buy it from the Honda dealer. Clarify this before you buy it from H and A. I wanted to do the same thing, but don't think it's possible.

------------------

'66 Mustang convertible (former, pre-mommy life)
'99 CSS EX (gone but not forgotten)
'01 GG EX (Humpty Dumpty - you know the story)
'02 GG EXL NAV (Under construction)

...come over the hill Carolina. Devils & Deacs
stand in line...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I "re-asked the question" on the warranty & they said that as long as it was a genuine Honda accessory and if they did the install, it would be covered under warranty. The sales guy was embarrassed that we needed to revert to these tactics, but said that their parts guys would not come down on their price.

This makes me wonder, How would a dealer who repairs a car (say 2 years down the road) know whether it was dealer installed? Many people move and have it serviced at different dealerships. The VIN will not indicate accessories. Is there a "central database" that tracks these things??

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
24 Posts
I "re-asked the question" on the warranty & they said that as long as it was a genuine Honda accessory and if they did the install, it would be covered under warranty. The sales guy was embarrassed that we needed to revert to these tactics, but said that their parts guys would not come down on their price.

This makes me wonder, How would a dealer who repairs a car (say 2 years down the road) know whether it was dealer installed? Many people move and have it serviced at different dealerships. The VIN will not indicate accessories. Is there a "central database" that tracks these things??

</font>
I think the burden of proof would be on you to show that it was dealer installed -- keep your invoice/receipt from the dealer.

------------------
Jim B.

2000 EX Navi
DVP

·
Registered
92 Posts

</font>
Glad you can work it out -- always good to save $$$. You make a good point about whether or not dealers would know if it was a Honda install job. Jim B is probably right, keep your receipt. I may try to pursue this with my dealer if H and A's price is lower than dealer cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts