Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited to get this '09 (which I’m sure you guys can understand). I’ve done a little reading now about these 3rd gens and know a few things like the (lack of) VCM and a decently robust transmission. Are there other things I should know about or be looking at with this van? The timing belt hasn't been changed so I’ll get that done (along with the other things that go with it). Are there other things worth noting?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,870 Posts
You seem to have covered the key bases. Something else to figure out is the ATF history. Even the most robust AT still needs regular fluid changes so I'd make sure it's been done regularly, and if not, do a 3x drain and fill (3 drain and fills with a little bit of driving between them) to get as much new fluid in there as possible. After that, you can continue with single ATF drain and fills every 15-30k and you should be good.

I have mostly the same Odyssey minus the 07-10 transmission and it has been great with only a few issues.

It may also be a good idea to get the A/C refrigerant evacuated and recharged, especially if it hasn't ever been done since the van was new, as you could be quite low on refrigerant by now even if the system is leak free.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Check the engine air filter and the cabin air filter, or just replace them so you know they are done.

If there's no data on when the engine oil and filter were last changed, have those changed too. Use synthetic; it costs only slightly more than natural but it's so much better.

There's a good chance the brake fluid is original. Have that changed too. Its service life is 3 years.

Routine stuff I know, but that's the basis of longevity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You seem to have covered the key bases. Something else to figure out is the ATF history. Even the most robust AT still needs regular fluid changes so I'd make sure it's been done regularly, and if not, do a 3x drain and fill (3 drain and fills with a little bit of driving between them) to get as much new fluid in there as possible. After that, you can continue with single ATF drain and fills every 15-30k and you should be good.

I have mostly the same Odyssey minus the 07-10 transmission and it has been great with only a few issues.

It may also be a good idea to get the A/C refrigerant evacuated and recharged, especially if it hasn't ever been done since the van was new, as you could be quite low on refrigerant by now even if the system is leak free.
Thanks! I’m getting the van from a friend so I’ll check with him about the ATF. Also good thought about the refrigerant.

Check the engine air filter and the cabin air filter, or just replace them so you know they are done.

If there's no data on when the engine oil and filter were last changed, have those changed too. Use synthetic; it costs only slightly more than natural but it's so much better.

There's a good chance the brake fluid is original. Have that changed too. Its service life is 3 years.

Routine stuff I know, but that's the basis of longevity.
Thanks! Those are routine things but they weren't on my mind. I didn't know about brake fluid needing to be changed every 3 years; that’s good to know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check the front spool valve is not leaking oil on the alternator. This is a common cause of a bad alternator. I agree with drain and fill all the fluids like engine oil, ATF, and coolant. Can turkey baster the power steering fluid and brake fluid. Some people will recommend bleeding the brakes but I would check the brake pads first. Shine a flashlight through the wheels and look at the outer brake pads on all four corners. I think the minimum thickness is 1.5mm but I always change well before that. You cannot see the inner pads but at least that gives you some information. If new pads are needed that is the perfect time to bleed the brakes. Good luck!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,870 Posts
Check the front spool valve is not leaking oil on the alternator. This is a common cause of a bad alternator
This issue is not present on the EX model since it has no VCM and thus does not have the front spool valve.

Reactions: newtome2009

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check/inspect: Motor mounts, drive axles, steering rack for leaks, inner & outer tie rods for looseness, front lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings.
If the shocks and struts haven't been changed, probably that (the OE rear shocks seem to leak at about 50k miles).
Check upper power steering hose for leaks. And valve cover area for oil leaks (typically spool valve related)
When doing the timing belt, definitely valve adjustment, and might as well water pump/tensioners/plugs/coolant.
Change brake fluid.
Usual safety stuff, brake pads, alignment, tires, etc.

Reactions: newtome2009

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful posts! I just found out that I had the wrong info and it’s actually a 2004. I’ll be heading over to the 2nd gen section but do you guys have any thoughts about going with a 2nd gen over a 3rd gen?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful posts! I just found out that I had the wrong info and it’s actually a 2004. I’ll be heading over to the 2nd gen section but do you guys have any thoughts about going with a 2nd gen over a 3rd gen?
A really good friend has an '02 (same body style as the '04). These are notorious for having transmission problems, so if you get that, plan on putting a new or rebuilt transmission in it - unless it's had one installed recently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts