Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2012 ex-l with res. I have a car seat installed next to each sliding door. My question is, should I be able to get into the third row without removing the car seat? It seems like the seat needs to get pushed forward/folded and then slide before you can get into back seat. However with a car seat there you can't push/fold the seat enough to get it to move. Any tricks to get into backseat when car seats installed in second row?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can always install the second car seat in the middle seat by going into wide mode. I have two Britax Marathons which are fairly wide and big and they fit fine in wide mode next to each other. This way you can have one of the side seats available to slide back and forth for 3rd row access. If you really want to put the car seats on the side seats then the only way to access the 3rd row is to remove the middle seat and use the available isle to access the 3rd row.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm able to tilt the side seats forward and get into the third row reasonably okay. Tilt as if you were going to move the seat into wide or narrow mode, but don't actually change the mode. You also have to make sure the head rests are tilted forward and are low.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As mentioned by others, you should be able to tilt the seat forward or install one of the car seats in the center seat. Another option is to remove the 2nd row center seat entirely and create a pass through to the 3rd row.

The only bad thing about the tilt method is that people need to get into the third row before you can place your baby/child into their car seat. You should consider placing one of the car seats in the 2nd row center seat as that is the safest location in the entire van (as it is in the middle away from the sides of the van).

:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've left the right rear stow-and-go seat down at let people crawl in through the back. This is a helpful technique to use to prevent becoming the "go-to-guy" for driving everyone at work to lunch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We currently have our kids in car seats in each of the big captain seat on the 2nd row, just b/c it is easier for my wife and I to handle both kids at the same time. If we have a guest that need to go with us on a long trip, we put one of the car seat in the middle so someone can sit in one of the second row seats and more can go to the back.

For those who have two kids and put one car seat in the middle, what is your trick in securing the kid in the middle seat when the space there is relatively tight and away from the door?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have two car seats that are installed on the side close to the sliding doors. Both seats have been move to wide position for more spacing for 1 adult to sit in middle of the second row with kids, and watch dvd cartoons :D. One of the car seat my son 1-year old is rear facing and my daughter 3-year old forward facing. Now the easy way to fit 3 adults comfortably in the third row is to tilt forward while holding the car seat that is facing foward which is my daughter side. Then everyone can just step in easy and out without problems. Though you still need to hold the car seat while this is being done because with its weight. The car seat will fall backwards to its position and someone might get hurt. My 3-year old daughter can just stand in the middle of the second row while adults hop in the third row, and thats when I buckle my daughter last to her carseat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those who have two kids and put one car seat in the middle, what is your trick in securing the kid in the middle seat when the space there is relatively tight and away from the door?
I have two carseats side by side in the middle row. I wide mode my large Britax seat fit easily. The seat behind the passenger is free allowing easy access to the third row and giving my mother-in-law a nice comfy captain chair, since she lives with us and rides with us often. My 18 month old is rear-facing in the center. Either I reach over the empty captain chair to secure her or I sit in it and strap her in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have two carseats side by side in the middle row. I wide mode my large Britax seat fit easily. The seat behind the passenger is free allowing easy access to the third row and giving my mother-in-law a nice comfy captain chair, since she lives with us and rides with us often. My 18 month old is rear-facing in the center. Either I reach over the empty captain chair to secure her or I sit in it and strap her in.
Thanks. I have two boys both in forward facing seats. They both love to wonder in the car to play with all the switches; this is, if they are allowed in the car free for more than 10 sec, they will immediately climb to the driver seat ... so I have to make sure that both of them get strapped down as soon as possible, thus the need for both parents to work on them at the same time. The ideal kids are those who will go into the car and sit in their seat waiting for the parents, but none of mine are like that ... It is really too bad that two of the best seats in the car are occupied by car seats for perhaps another 5 more years to come.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Same as the rest, How tall are you? I have 3 and the oldest goes now in the middle, as he can sit and "patiently" wait (we get him a toy or a book). The youngest (rear facing) and the 2nd youngest (front facing) go outboard.

As per the original OP. I've tilted the 2nd row seat a couple of times to get in to the 3rd row. Not the most convenient thing, but something gotta give with kids this age...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Happy Van,

I suppose you could always try and trade those kids you have in for a set of those "ideal"ones you reference. Seriously though, my 10 year old daughter is now seat free and my 6 year old son Is reduced to a booster seat he drags around the van to wherever it is his fancy to sit. I kind of miss the days you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I was single, I used to think that those parents with un-controlled toddlers must be so useless so their kids are spoiled. It must be a curse that I now have two of those!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Same as the rest, How tall are you? I have 3 and the oldest goes now in the middle, as he can sit and "patiently" wait (we get him a toy or a book).
Hey BigBoat, what kind of pads are you using under the car seats? In reading the review on Amazon, some complained that these leak colors to their seat. Have you ever had this problem? At the moment, I am re-using those water-proof pads that we used when our kids were still infants.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just picked up my 2012 ex-l with res. I have a car seat installed next to each sliding door. My question is, should I be able to get into the third row without removing the car seat? It seems like the seat needs to get pushed forward/folded and then slide before you can get into back seat. However with a car seat there you can't push/fold the seat enough to get it to move. Any tricks to get into backseat when car seats installed in second row?
The all new Infiniti JX that is due out soon allows the outboard seats to tilt foward and up far easier than the Oddy to get to it's 3rd rear row. The problem is that the JX is not as big or roomy as the Oddy. Maybe for future Oddy's they can copy this mechanism..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts