Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang,
i haven't been on the site in a while - hope i didn't miss too much! I placed orders with 2 dealerships (well, deposits - the third was over the phone, and they said they couldn't do anything for me) - i ordered a redrock navi about 3 or 4 months ago, and gave $500 deposits with 2 dealerships. I told them February 1 delivery date (my wife's due date was 1/25, and i didn't want a van if the worst happened and it was only me and my wife) - baby born, baby healthy, baby needs a van! My best bet seems to be David Michael Honda near me in New Jersey - where I'm told my particular ody (at list) is being built, and is supposed to be shipped to them something like between 2/13 and 2/14 - the dealer said based on past experience i should expect a 5 day delay. We have a long drive ahead on February 22, and I made it clear i wanted the ody for that drive, and some time before so we can get used to it - anyway, it seems questionable if he can really deliver by our required date. He mentioned the navis are very hard to come by, though he did mention he just got in a granite green navi (with roof rack and flaps, which i didn't feel like paying for!) - the other dealership is trying hard for me. he feels he can't get a navi, but with the color choices i've given him (granite, deep green, and of course, the preferred red rock) he feels he can get an ex without leather (if i don't get navi, i don't want to spring for the leather). this site has shown me the navi is the way to go - everyone with one raves about it - what's the advise - skip the navi (and save $3,500) and be sure to get an ody early feb, or hold out for the navi? i had considered the DVD, but was told wide screen movies are nearly invisible on the small screen - the dealer recommended the IVES. As we're planning to lease, this won't be a permanent van, and i think the ives may be more appropriate in the 2004 ody, when our little angel is around 2 - any opinions gratefully appreciated.
Incidentally, i live in new jersey (as mentioned verbosely above) and work in NYC - the second deposit i have is with Staten Island (who is trying to accomodate me) - i'd be willing to drive 100 or so miles for the damn thing already - thanks!
Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
You could take the GG Navi with mudflaps and crossbars and pay cost for them (shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred dollars). I don't think you are getting good informaiton regarding the RES / IVES. Both have a 7" screen if I am not mistaken. That screen displays movies in a 16:9 ratio which is widescreen (depending on what you are watching - some have higher ratio which will have small bars). My guess is that they would make more $ on IVES which they install. Something doesn't add up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. the way it was explained to me was that the dvd's encoded in widescreen became nearly invisible on the ody's screen, and the dealership has received many complaints about the difficulty watching the movies. For what it's worth, i have a big tv at home, and when the widescreen kicks in it does steal a lot from the picture. The salesman i spoke with SEEMS to be trying to do right by me - when i asked him if it would be easier to get the dvd ex, he said it was marginally easier than the navi (i.e. impossible), but that he didn't recommend the dvd - he recommended the ives. maybe they get a spiff, but i felt he was talking straight to me.
cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gary:
thanks for the reply. the way it was explained to me was that the dvd's encoded in widescreen became nearly invisible on the ody's screen, and the dealership has received many complaints about the difficulty watching the movies. For what it's worth, i have a big tv at home, and when the widescreen kicks in it does steal a lot from the picture. The salesman i spoke with SEEMS to be trying to do right by me - when i asked him if it would be easier to get the dvd ex, he said it was marginally easier than the navi (i.e. impossible), but that he didn't recommend the dvd - he recommended the ives. maybe they get a spiff, but i felt he was talking straight to me.
cheers!
</font>
Gary, the dealer is pushing the IVES for the simple reason that he can install it into any van that rolls off the truck (except a factory RES that he knows he can't get in time). As far as quality, there is no comparison, the factory RES is much nicer than the IVES system. It is actually designed to play widescreem movies, they fill the screen and look excellent. By default, regular aspect ratio movies (4:3) are stretched horizontally to fill the screen, if you don't like that effect you can switch the screen from FULL to NORMAL where you will get the 2 vertical bars at the edge of the picture.

Trust me on this, many dealers have no idea about the performance of the factory RES because they have only seen a few, and they are gone before they can become familiar with them.

One more thing, the factory RES can play both the dolby pro-logic, or dolby digital soundtracks, and it is hard wired into a very slick head unit. IVES transmits it's audio over a radio station that you have to turn the radio to, and the connection did not sound too nice in the one that I listed to.

If you change your mind on the NAVI and decide to go with the entertainment system, consider holding out for the factory RES, IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by viper001:
Gary, the dealer is pushing the IVES for the simple reason that he can install it into any van that rolls off the truck (except a factory RES that he knows he can't get in time). As far as quality, there is no comparison, the factory RES is much nicer than the IVES system. It is actually designed to play widescreem movies, they fill the screen and look excellent. By default, regular aspect ratio movies (4:3) are stretched horizontally to fill the screen, if you don't like that effect you can switch the screen from FULL to NORMAL where you will get the 2 vertical bars at the edge of the picture.

Trust me on this, many dealers have no idea about the performance of the factory RES because they have only seen a few, and they are gone before they can become familiar with them.

One more thing, the factory RES can play both the dolby pro-logic, or dolby digital soundtracks, and it is hard wired into a very slick head unit. IVES transmits it's audio over a radio station that you have to turn the radio to, and the connection did not sound too nice in the one that I listed to.

If you change your mind on the NAVI and decide to go with the entertainment system, consider holding out for the factory RES, IMHO.
</font>
geez - just when i think i have it figured out, there goes another monkey wrench!
ok, now i want the dvd! (ok, i really want the navi - and am willing to pay $3,500 for it (leather plus navi) - i'm not too kean to shell out $3,000 for the video (i haven't checked prices in a while, but i think that's what it is) - being the cheap bum i am, i could always buy a $200 or so piece of garbage video thingie to go between the seats (not likely to do that). i spoke with my main dealer earlier today (the jerker arounder
and asked him if he knew about the pilot - he said i know as much as him, and that he thought it was based on the md4 platform - when i told him it was the mdx platform, i corrected him and said i probably knew more about it - and visiting college hill's web site is certainly an eye opener!
thanks again for the info!
gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I can't imagine how you could get an EX without leather, it's a factory spec. Would they just add the additional features to an LX? The roof rack also comes with the EX, it shouldn't be considered an extra, unless they meant the cross-bars addition. I can't speak about the NAVI, it wasn't a feature that we were interested in, but we are getting the RES and I haven't heard anyone speak that the size is all that small. A friend of mine has one and loves hers, or should I say her children do. A dealer did tell me when I was in the market that they could add a DVD system aftermarket to an LX (they had a bunch of them in their lot that were up for grabs) and that it would be a slightly bigger screen. However, it doesn't sound like a feature your going to need for a while unless you take more than your infant around with you. Resale might also be an issue with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hi,

1) the dealer install the ives (VCR), a higher profit for them. Beware.

2) the factory res is only DVD, possibly the dealer can install this as well but I agree with the others from what I have seen the factory dvd unit is very nice and a better choice than the dealer installed vcr unit.

3) Navis are hard to come by, I've been waiting more than four months. 'My' vehicle was 'shipped' on 12/10/01 and I I still do not have it

4) If someone offered a NAVI to you at MRSP and provided that the mud flaps and roof rack doesn't cost more than a couple of hundred, well that seems to be the market rate.

Good Luck,
Tom

P.S
For what it is worth, I also heard what DavidGSR said - the DVD is basically wide screen format - I don't know about the vcr version (installed by the dealer)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi tom,
it just rankles me (is that a word?) that i have to "sweat" to get the van i ordered months ago, paying msrp, plus potentially some minor b.s. options i didn't want, not getting the color i wanted, etc. - i understand that's life as we know it, but still seems kinda stinky - i can't wait till honda produces a glut of these things and the dealers will beg us to pay under msrp - but alas, those days are far off, and by that time they'll likely come out with the next gen ody and start the cycle all over again - geez, i wish ford and gm could make cars as well as honda - would rather keep my bux in the u.s. where it's needed (ok, i know, ody's are built in alabama and canada, but you know what i mean - ford is dying, and the big 3 are hurting)
gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I was having a hard time finding a Redrock Navi too. I decided to go silver EX-L and we will put in the Kenwood navigation system with the Kenwood KVT-910dvd system. It's a little more than the navi with the ody but much sweeter. The screen comes out of the dvd/cd player that only takes up one DIN space. It plays movies and all types of cd's. Everything is controlled via touch screen.

If you want Navi and don't want to wait.. this might be a way to go.

Congrats on baby!!
I would definately recommend the leather seats though.. much easier to clean than cloth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
give George Marshall the internet manager,973-574-1071, a call at Planet Honda on Route 3.

That dealer seems to have a decent allocation of Navis. George is a straightup guy. Since he is the internet manager he sells at msrp. i bought the navi and added ives and the subwoofer, installed for $1700.

you have nothing to lose. at one point i had cancelled my order and my deposit was refunded within a week. when they couldn't get me the red navi i wanted, he offered to refund me my deposit a second time. they didn't even mention the survey or push any extras.

best dealer experience i have ever had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wmarci2000:
I can't imagine how you could get an EX without leather, it's a factory spec. Would they just add the additional features to an LX? The roof rack also comes with the EX, it shouldn't be considered an extra, unless they meant the cross-bars addition. I can't speak about the NAVI, it wasn't a feature that we were interested in, but we are getting the RES and I haven't heard anyone speak that the size is all that small. A friend of mine has one and loves hers, or should I say her children do. A dealer did tell me when I was in the market that they could add a DVD system aftermarket to an LX (they had a bunch of them in their lot that were up for grabs) and that it would be a slightly bigger screen. However, it doesn't sound like a feature your going to need for a while unless you take more than your infant around with you. Resale might also be an issue with this. </font>
There is still a non-leather EX available, you just can't get either the factory RES or NAVI without factory leather.

I agree with the possible resale effect of extensive aftermarket add-ons, but sometimes buyers are happy to get the extra options, and sometimes it's an issue. Certainly something as "invasive" as installing a RES might be an issue for some picky used buyers. It's kind of like selling a house with an inground swimming pool, it's either a great selling point or a dealbuster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
hi i read your about the difficulties your having , i can supply you with an ody in 2 days if you hav any questions email me thnx Stojos Honda .......

P.S i have a navi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks fellow new jersian! i will call them this morning - if i buy from them, i'll get you a nice big steak dinner at the outback (ok, i'll send you an e-mail thanks, but it sounded good!)
gary, the cheap!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
give George Marshall the internet manager,973-574-1071, a call at Planet Honda on Route 3.

That dealer seems to have a decent allocation of Navis. George is a straightup guy. Since he is the internet manager he sells at msrp. i bought the navi and added ives and the subwoofer, installed for $1700.

you have nothing to lose. at one point i had cancelled my order and my deposit was refunded within a week. when they couldn't get me the red navi i wanted, he offered to refund me my deposit a second time. they didn't even mention the survey or push any extras.

best dealer experience i have ever had.
</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks - and i wish i lived closer to wisconson - not ready for that big a trip yet!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stojos honda:
hi i read your about the difficulties your having , i can supply you with an ody in 2 days if you hav any questions email me thnx Stojos Honda .......

P.S i have a navi
</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I'd love to hear more about this Kenwood DVD unit. We decided on the GG EX-L, just because of the $1500 cost of the RES. (By the way, our van is not expected to arrive until end of April (3 month delay), which seemed a bit long for the EX-L only, but I would rather have a drop dead date than wait on a list somewhere and hope my saleman is working the day the one I want comes in...) Anyway, any info you can share would be appreciated.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OddGrinch:
I was having a hard time finding a Redrock Navi too. I decided to go silver EX-L and we will put in the Kenwood navigation system with the Kenwood KVT-910dvd system. It's a little more than the navi with the ody but much sweeter. The screen comes out of the dvd/cd player that only takes up one DIN space. It plays movies and all types of cd's. Everything is controlled via touch screen.

If you want Navi and don't want to wait.. this might be a way to go.

Congrats on baby!!
I would definately recommend the leather seats though.. much easier to clean than cloth.

</font>


------------------
hoping for an Ody!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">give George Marshall the internet manager,973-574-1071, a call at Planet Honda on Route 3.
That dealer seems to have a decent allocation of Navis. George is a straightup guy. Since he is the internet manager he sells at msrp. i bought the navi and added ives and the subwoofer, installed for $1700.

you have nothing to lose. at one point i had cancelled my order and my deposit was refunded within a week. when they couldn't get me the red navi i wanted, he offered to refund me my deposit a second time. they didn't even mention the survey or push any extras.

best dealer experience i have ever had.
</font>
we bought our RP right off the lot the same day there without having to prorder it at PlanetHonda. All i can say is WOW! that place really rocks. funny thing is it was the one I wanted not dh. he wanted the silver one and now reading what im reading im very happy we gor the RP. BD was our salesman and i highly recomend him. we had no problem getting the EX-L DVD that we wanted. we walked in told em what we wanted, sold it to us for 200 over msrp. they wouldnt let us leave without taking her home. they bent over backwards! needless to say dh and i didnt get preapproved fora van yet so they gave us 5.99% and a free future oil change not to mention 5 free days of insurance!!!!!!! if youre in the neighborhood that is the place to go. i am so sorry your having a bad time with your dealer. you shouldnt take any bs from them. i dont.


[This message has been edited by sahm (edited 02-03-2002).]
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top