Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as it usually is, the immobiliser on my wife's 1995 odyssey is acting up. The symptoms are that when I insert the key and turn it one step, the radio turns itself on (good), when I turn it further, the dash lights should turn on but all is blank. When I turn the key further, the engine cranks and operates as long as the key is held by hand. Probably the starter motor is also working at that time.

After half an hour of being stranded by the side of the road in winter my wife finally made it home. My assumption is that there is no communication between the key chip and car and I want to completely disable the immobiliser system. The car is too old to be stolen anyway.

How do I do it? I have two sets of car keys and one red emergency key but I don't know what it does so I prefer not to try it now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, as it usually is, the immobiliser on my wife's 1995 odyssey is acting up. The symptoms are that when I insert the key and turn it one step, the radio turns itself on (good), when I turn it further, the dash lights should turn on but all is blank. When I turn the key further, the engine cranks and operates as long as the key is held by hand. Probably the starter motor is also working at that time.

After half an hour of being stranded by the side of the road in winter my wife finally made it home. My assumption is that there is no communication between the key chip and car and I want to completely disable the immobiliser system. The car is too old to be stolen anyway.

How do I do it? I have two sets of car keys and one red emergency key but I don't know what it does so I prefer not to try it now.
You have a different set up than an American market 95 Odyssey. Do not use the red key! It is for learning new keys only. It sounds like you need a new ignition switch (the electric part). You cannot disable the immobilizer system. Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have realized that it is in fact the ignition switch. When I inserted a key without the chip, the starter was simply dead (like when you try to start the car while in D). So the problem is definitely the typical ignition switch glitch.

It's a pity that I cannot disable the immobiliser. On other cars there is a specific procedure which can do it, like turning the alarm on and off twice, opening the door, turning the ignition on and off five times, turning the alarm etc... Are you sure there is no such a secret procedure for the 95 Ody?

Now that the red key has been mentiones, can you tell me more about its specific use and purpose? For example I have a new key made with a 'blank' chip inside. How do I make the car 'learn' that this key is valid?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have realized that it is in fact the ignition switch. When I inserted a key without the chip, the starter was simply dead (like when you try to start the car while in D). So the problem is definitely the typical ignition switch glitch.

It's a pity that I cannot disable the immobiliser. On other cars there is a specific procedure which can do it, like turning the alarm on and off twice, opening the door, turning the ignition on and off five times, turning the alarm etc... Are you sure there is no such a secret procedure for the 95 Ody?

Now that the red key has been mentiones, can you tell me more about its specific use and purpose? For example I have a new key made with a 'blank' chip inside. How do I make the car 'learn' that this key is valid?
That procedure is typical of an aftermarket system. The Honda system is part of the van. I can send information on a 97 Prelude. That is the only one here that uses the red key. The red key is not used on any other American market Honda. In the US, the Odyssey didn't get immobilizer till 98, which is what I have, and it doesn't use a red key. I need your e-mail address, as the file is too big to send on this site. Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts