Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 2001 Civic has a nifty glass-decal style antenna on the rear window that seems to work as well as the Ody's fender mounted one-I can pull in my favorite jazz station, which is relatively low powered and at the low end of the frequency spectrum. I don't recall if this has been discussed here before, but has anyone looked at the possibility of installing the Civic glass antenna on an Ody? Assuming it is available as a separate item (Majestic Honda's parts diagrams shows some of the parts, but not the actuall antenna decal), it would seem to be similar in installation to window tint or the old aftermarket defoggers that one got in the past before defoggers became standard equipment. Anyone?

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console
Foglights
Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
Glove Box Light
Kelton Sub
Honda wood/leather steering wheel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since no one has responded to your post yet, I'll chime in.

I suspect the reason you cannot find the antenna "decal" is because it does not exist. The antenna is likely molded into the glass just like the defroster wires.

Sorry to be a spoil sport

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by celler:
Since no one has responded to your post yet, I'll chime in.

I suspect the reason you cannot find the antenna "decal" is because it does not exist. The antenna is likely molded into the glass just like the defroster wires.

Sorry to be a spoil sport
</font>
Well, since the Civic service manual has a repair section for the antenna that deals with how to repair breaks in the antenna, it must be surface mounted, which is the reason I asumed it was a decal-like antenna similar to the defoggers of old. BTW, my initial thought was the same as yours, but after I discovered that section in the Civic manual I started think of the possibilities for my Ody.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console
Foglights
Tranny Cooler

Coming up: In dash 6 CD Changer
Glove Box Light
Kelton Sub
Honda wood/leather steering wheel

[This message has been edited by odyfox (edited 01-30-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
My '99 Accord has the same type of antenna. I saw the instructions too for fixing it, perplexing. I'd figure Honda buys rear glass as a sub-assembly (so can't get the antenna separate, even if it is a stick on) and don't know of anyone selling an aftermarket part like this....

One complaint is that my Accord's ability to pick up radio is definitely lower than the Ody, for sure. In fact, based on all I've read here and elsewhere, you can't beat the (ugly) whip antenna in terms of performance. Many options avail, including S2000 mast, MDX, other aftermarkets, but all trade looks for performance. Just a thought.

I was about to change the mast on my Ody to the S2000, but my wife likes to listen to radio alot, and some of her stations are marginal. Didn't want to **ss her off by loosing a station or 2 for better appearance.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts