Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's a tough one, are the scratches on the inside or outside? If they are on the outside, you can use toothpaste, or if they are deep, make a paste from scouring powder and water, and apply with a damp towel in a circular motion, rub lightly. If the scratches are on the inside, I really am not sure what you could do other than having some window film applied over the glass. The tinted film will have the additional benefit of eliminating the UV and reduce the solar buildup. I found out that the privacy glass does nothing to eliminate or reduce UV and heat, its strictly as the name implies privacy glass (looks cool). Since there are various degrees of window tint (darkness) you won't end up with windows so dark that you can't see through them at night, but it should cover the scratches. OF course, you have to be careful of the tint, it can be easily scratched as well. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
you can try a glass polish (cerium oxide) on you back window but, if the scratches are on the inside near one of the defrost lines you are out of luck. if the scratches are on the outside then get a glass shop to attempt the repair. also, window film will only make the scratches more noticeable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the scratches are on the outside try #0000 steel wool. In fact, this works well on any glass surface. Note, do NOT use it on mirror glass or anything plastic. It gets out the small scratches and puts a nice polish on the glass. Great for removing bugs while on the road too, keep one in a baggy to use at service stations.

------------------
'96 Odyssey, 245,000Kms and a
'90 Accord, 211,000Kms

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have been in the glass business for twelve years and i would not recommend steel wool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips. The glass scratches are on the outside. I will try your suggestions and post the results at a later date.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,

On my way to work this morning, a semi decides to cut me off on the freeway and in the process, some rocks came off his mudflaps and decide to make a permanent home on my windshield. Now, I have two cracks about 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Any suggestions on how to repair it (dyi vs. shop?) What kind of costs should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
Hi,

On my way to work this morning, a semi decides to cut me off on the freeway and in the process, some rocks came off his mudflaps and decide to make a permanent home on my windshield. Now, I have two cracks about 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Any suggestions on how to repair it (dyi vs. shop?) What kind of costs should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.
</font>
I've had great success in the past with a windshield repair kit I got at Pep Boys (around $5.00, if I remember correctly). It consists of a plastic syringe that you place over the chip or crack, then you create a vacuum in the area to be repaired before injecting the repair material - worked great for me, and probably saved me the cost of a windshield. I used it only on half-moon shaped chips caused by rocks; not sure if it would work as effectively on a longer crack.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; cargo tray; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
61 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
Hi,

</font>
Had similar problem. Check your insurance. Mine paid for the repair in full. My deductable would apply only if windshield had to be replaced. If covered, be sure that the repair shop does "invisable" repair.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd also advise checking your insurance. In most states, windshield repair is separate from your "comprehensive/collision" coverage, meaning no deductible, no insurance points, etc... and in some states, it's a legal requirement that they have it repaired for you with no out-of-pocket. If the windshield has to be replaced, is should also cover true OEM parts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thank you groupset, sa9651, and Bigrob for the advice. Just got off the phone with the insurance company and they authorized a mobile windshield company to repair with no out-of-pocket. See, that's what makes this forum one of the best, members actually help each other out! Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad the suggestion fit! I've been trying to keep up with all the info posted tho I can't use til my order goes in for an '02. (Still pushing an ol 97 Windstar around.) This is a FANTASTIC site, isn't it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts