Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy wrote:

"Chuck,
The glove box lamp is almost a no brainer, order a glove box lamp from a 93 Accord (other years & models may be similar). I choose the 93 because I looked at both our 89 and 93 Accords and the 93 appeared to be better suited and adapt easier. Two sheetmetal screws, two small pilot holes and tap off the existing lamp wire from the console "dumpster bin" lamp (EX model)."

...And that's what I did. Thanx, Hy.

Pics are posted at the usual place.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

·
Registered
148 Posts
Since we're on the subject of glove boxes... I had an idea for a new project. I noticed the other day that the locking latch on the dash glove box looks very close in size to the one on the console *dumpster bin." After looking on the inside of the two, I found that the latches are somewhat different but kept wondering, what if? I would guess with a little creativity, and some spare parts a new mating piece could be fabricated that would allow the glove box latch to work with the dumpster door. So far I haven't removed anything, but they look physically the same size. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by hip (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Nice job Chuck! How long did take? And how much is the light? I think I'll add it to my list of future mods.

-nemogira
</font>
The light was about $12 from Trevor and took about two hours to install, but I was kinda horsin' around taking pics, etc. It could probably be done in less than an hour.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hip:
Since we're on the subject of glove boxes... I had an idea for a new project. I noticed the other day that the locking latch on the dash glove box looks very close in size to the one on the console *dumpster bin." After looking on the inside of the two, I found that the latches are somewhat different but kept wondering, what if? I would guess with a little creativity, and some spare parts a new mating piece could be fabricated that would allow the glove box latch to work with the dumpster door. So far I haven't removed anything, but they look physically the same size. What do you think?

</font>
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make the center bin lockable?

BTW, your location for the glove box lamp was very clever. I don't think I'd have come up with that one by myself. Thanx again.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by ckonarske:
What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to make the center bin lockable?

Precisely. I just called Trevor and have already encountered some road blocks. First is the cost, the dash glove box lock retails for ~$40, but comes with keys and cylinder. Which brings up the next issue, the keys may be blanks and there could be additional expense getting the cylinder re-keyed to match the other lock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Update: Well I did some checking last night and any idea of installing the locking latch mechanism from the dash glove box onto the console bin isn't going to work.
The dash latch is wider than the console. Oh well, onto other things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow
very very nice job.... thanks for the info.... now i have something to try out this weekend..... would you happen to have the part# of the light assembly?..... '93 accord?.... thanks in advance

·
Registered
276 Posts
Like Chuck said, "Hy told us to do it , so I did it", I too, put a light assembly in my glove box. But, instead of using Accord's glove box like used by Hy and Chuck, I decided to create my own light source.

I've use lots of LEDs in the past in my other cars for alarms and in some electronics projects, so I thought why can't I use it to light up my glove box. LEDs use only 0.25 watt and produces very little heat, therefore I've decided to hook them up to the dash lights so they turn on when the headlights are on.

Step by step pictures at the same place.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
You know what you guys are missing right? Pics of the light in action. Let that sucker SHINE!

-nemogira
</font>
Tried that and the camera went crazy due to it's intensed and focus beam. I accidentally look at one of the LED straight in the eye and I was seeing stars for a couple of minutes, that's how bright they are.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
Great job, Harry. Now you've made me green with envy.

I'm planning on installing this small neon strip from CarMate. We'll see how it goes.

</font>
Well, the project is very simple and easy to do and it only cost a few dollars.
You can use any color LEDs, the super bright ones like I use are available in white, green, blue and I believe yellow also.
You can also use white LEDs with colored LED's mount, that way you can change the color as often as you want.
I got mine from www.whiteleds.net for $1.75 each plus $1 shipping elsewhere it cost anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00, but they only sell white LEDs. if you need an even wider area of illumination, they have flat 120 degrees white LEDs, but harder to mount because of the rectangle shape.

------------------
Harry
'99 Odyssey Pictures

·
Registered
585 Posts
With Chuck's setup, you have the advantage of the 'refridgerator effect' where the lights go off when you close the glove compartment.

With Harry's setup, it appears the LEDs are on whenver the dash lights are on...is that correct? If so, do the lights show through when the glove is closed? I have a 1987 Accord whose glove box door doesn't close correctly anymore so I often get the light 'flickering' inside the glove box when driving at night and this makes me nuts!

..or do you have a button that turns the LEDs off when the glove is closed as well, Harry?

(Nyvram scampers off to examine Harry's pics again more closely...)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The lights come on when you turn on the Parking/Headlights, it's connected to the dash lights. They stay on with the glove box closed and some light do shine through the upper portion on the glove box lid casting a line of light below passenger's knee.
A microswitch or magnetic switch can be installed to have "refrigerator effect".

-Harry

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hgani:
I got mine from www.whiteleds.net</font>
"Lets work together to built a cheap self powered lamp and flashlight to help those LEFT BEHIND when the Lord Jesus comes be ready for others and loved ones that will not listen to the truth that JESUS is LORD...PLEASE TAKE SHARED IDEAS if you don't want to add today : - )"

Interesting lil site.

Demonic dark glove box, I rebuke you!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, it freaked me up when I first visited that site. It's like the guy in the picture is using "bright" white LEDs to open up people's faith.
Sience and Theology together, "Armageddon" must be near.

But hey, his LEDs' prices are good.

-Harry

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
"Lets work together to built a cheap self powered lamp and flashlight to help those LEFT BEHIND when the Lord Jesus comes be ready for others and loved ones that will not listen to the truth that JESUS is LORD...PLEASE TAKE SHARED IDEAS if you don't want to add today : - )"

Interesting lil site.

Demonic dark glove box, I rebuke you!

</font>
LOL, he obviously is a fan of the "Left Behind" series of books. If you see the first one, "Left Behind", at Walmart, Samsclub, or Cosco... step away from the book counter, unless you want to be addicted! Seriously, I've read them all and can't wait until summer for the next one to come out... it's as bad as waiting for an Ody. When a new one comes out, even dragging my feet to savor it, I'm done reading it in two days... then the dreaded wait for the next one again ARRRRGH!!! The movie sucks though.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts